Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Personal Goods - Companies and Mattresses

Personal Goods - Companies and Mattresses

Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

UK44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal Goods - Companies and Mattresses

Can anyone recommend a company for shipping furniture and give an approximate of how much it cost please?

Also does anyone know if I’m okay to ship mattresses without having them cleaned and exhumed? I saw an old blog saying you can bring your own mattresses but the legislation was outdated.

Thanks very much
Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal Goods - Companies and Mattresses

Originally Posted by UK44
Can anyone recommend a company for shipping furniture and give an approximate of how much it cost please?

Also does anyone know if I’m okay to ship mattresses without having them cleaned and exhumed? I saw an old blog saying you can bring your own mattresses but the legislation was outdated.
Thanks very much
Hello, welcome to BE!

There are literally hundreds of threads on the subject, so a quick search should bring some up put "shipping" as the subject, select "Canada" as the forum to search (don't bother with child forums) and select show results as 'threads' https://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php
We also have a wiki section on shipping: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2020 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Used mattresses imported by settlers under 9807.00.00 are exempt see para 1 of this link

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-1-7-eng.html
Old Jan 8th 2020, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... OK to ship mattresses without having them cleaned and exhumed? ....
I am not sure how you would ship them if they need to be exhumed but haven't been, but if you need to exhume them then they probably will also need to be cleaned, thoroughly.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello, welcome to BE!

There are literally hundreds of threads on the subject, so a quick search should bring some up put "shipping" as the subject, select "Canada" as the forum to search (don't bother with child forums) and select show results as 'threads' https://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php
We also have a wiki section on shipping: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada
Ah thank you!
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Used mattresses imported by settlers under 9807.00.00 are exempt see para 1 of this link

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-1-7-eng.html
That’s exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure how you would ship them if they need to be exhumed but haven't been, but if you need to exhume them then they probably will also need to be cleaned, thoroughly.
Thank you. I believe it’s the difference between a personal use one and second hand, so of course they’re clean but just not certified clean 😄
Old Jan 9th 2020, 7:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I believe it’s the difference between a personal use one and second hand, so of course they’re clean but just not certified clean 😄
Pulaski's comment was based on you using the term 'exhumed' which is a term used to mean a body dug up after burial for further examination or reburial somewhere else, I doubt whether that applies to your matress in any way shape or form. I did notice the word when I first looked at this thread, but refrained from comment because I felt I knew what you meant and hoped others would just let it slip, but no, someone did have to comment.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Pulaski's comment was based on you using the term 'exhumed' which is a term used to mean a body dug up after burial for further examination or reburial somewhere else, I doubt whether that applies to your matress in any way shape or form. I did notice the word when I first looked at this thread, but refrained from comment because I felt I knew what you meant and hoped others would just let it slip, but no, someone did have to comment.
Oh god I didn’t even notice! It’s been a long few days but I don’t know how I changed fumigated to exhumed 😄