Reload this Page >

Permenent Resident + Benefits

Permenent Resident + Benefits

Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

MichaelCochrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permenent Resident + Benefits

Hi!

Not too long ago I went through Family Class to have myself immigrated to Canada - Nova Scotia in fact from the UK.

My wife is Canadian and is working but is currently on one month leave. I myself am working and have been since April last year, until this week, where I am spending increasing amounts of time on call.

My employer got on the phone to me today and asked if I would be submitting a claim for unemployment, something you are allowed to do if you have not been at work for 7 days or more.

Now this got me thinking back to when I immigrated and it said my spouce would be responsible for me.

So now I am unsure if I can or cant claim anything and if I do will it affect my permenent resident status?

Any Help?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:34 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permenent Resident + Benefits

Hi

Originally Posted by MichaelCochrane
Hi!

Not too long ago I went through Family Class to have myself immigrated to Canada - Nova Scotia in fact from the UK.

My wife is Canadian and is working but is currently on one month leave. I myself am working and have been since April last year, until this week, where I am spending increasing amounts of time on call.

My employer got on the phone to me today and asked if I would be submitting a claim for unemployment, something you are allowed to do if you have not been at work for 7 days or more.

Now this got me thinking back to when I immigrated and it said my spouce would be responsible for me.

So now I am unsure if I can or cant claim anything and if I do will it affect my permenent resident status?

Any Help?
No, you pay into EI so it is not public assistance
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Ahh so EI is something the company I work for would pay out, rather it be a government based benefit like you get in the UK. If that is the case then I should be ok for that.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MichaelCochrane
Ahh so EI is something the company I work for would pay out, rather it be a government based benefit like you get in the UK. If that is the case then I should be ok for that.
No, it's run by the Federal Govt and it based on earnings and number of weeks you have contributed. You need to do a certain number of hours to qualify and this also determines how long you get it for. You would need to go into the local office of Service Canada to figure it out.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/ei/applic...benefits.shtml
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

I'll get in touch with them tomorrow during their working hours and see what the crack is

Many Thanks Again!