Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Permanent Resident Cards!!!!!!!!!

Permanent Resident Cards!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:01 am
squarepants

Default Re: Permanent Resident Cards!!!!!!!!!

Save that for the citizenship test

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Think I'll just have to unfurl my Ontario flag (all 18 inches-ish of it!) and learn the melody to "O Canada!" on the guitar.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Permanent Resident Cards!!!!!!!!!

Think I'll just have to unfurl my Ontario flag (all 18 inches-ish of it!) and learn the melody to "O Canada!" on the guitar.
What you need to do is wear a hockey jersey/hat, carry a canadian flag and sing a gordon lightfoot song...and bring along a picture of a canoe with you paddling on a lake....can't get more Canadian than that!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:35 am
squarepants

That one has been sussed out, it doesn't work anymore Just keep saying pardon me and eh, that still works.

Originally Posted by willmore
What you need to do is wear a hockey jersey/hat, carry a canadian flag and sing a gordon lightfoot song...and bring along a picture of a canoe with you paddling on a lake....can't get more Canadian than that!!!!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by squarepants
That one has been sussed out, it doesn't work anymore Just keep saying pardon me and eh, that still works.
What on earth does "sussed out" mean?

When we were in Rye, England and came out of a little cafe....they were playing Gordon Lightfoot songs....can't get mor canadian than that!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:18 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

What on earth does "sussed out" mean?

When we were in Rye, England and came out of a little cafe....they were playing Gordon Lightfoot songs....can't get mor canadian than that!!!!
To suss out means to discover something, or to work it out for oneself. It is slightly informal. Why can't you Canadians learn proper English? I had to explain the expression "taking the piss" to a Canadian once (Mrs Rhodes's cousin, indeed) and it took a lot to persuade him that it was nothing to do with urination.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:53 am
squarepants

Nah...you are having a laugh mate, or should I say, you are taking the mick? Wait till you use the word fancy in a phrase here, like "do you fance a beer or something".

I have to explain that all the time, to folks

To suss out means to discover something, or to work it out for oneself. It is slightly informal. Why can't you Canadians learn proper English? I had to explain the expression "taking the piss" to a Canadian once (Mrs Rhodes's cousin, indeed) and it took a lot to persuade him that it was nothing to do with urination.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that explanation....if you hadn't answered, those other jokers would never have told me......I'm still waiting for them to explain why the bus drivers in London are all enclosed in glass and wouldn't talk to me!!!!

Anyway, now what does "taking the piss" mean.....if not urination?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:57 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Nah...you are having a laugh mate, or should I say, you are taking the mick? Wait till you use the word fancy in a phrase here, like "do you fance a beer or something".

I have to explain that all the time, to folks
How do they misconstrue that one...?

Although I understand most Canadian expressions - from Mrs Rhodes chiefly - I forget that she is bilingual having livd here for ovr 9 years, so expressions that she fully understands, and uses herself, are pretty much meaningless to the natives.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:14 am
squarepants

It's the fancy bit, that really throws them I guess they expect you to say "WOULD YOU LIKE"? Am not going to change the way I speak for these canucks

Do you fancy a sh*g, a beer, a curry, a fag? Are all common expressions in the UK !

Oh....is she still waiting for an answer about why bus drivers are in cages?

How do they misconstrue that one...?

Although I understand most Canadian expressions - from Mrs Rhodes chiefly - I forget that she is bilingual having livd here for ovr 9 years, so expressions that she fully understands, and uses herself, are pretty much meaningless to the natives.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's the fancy bit, that really throws them I guess they expect you to say "WOULD YOU LIKE"? Am not going to change the way I speak for these canucks

Do you fancy a sh*g, a beer, a curry, a fag? Are all common expressions in the UK !

Oh....is she still waiting for an answer about why bus drivers are in cages?
Yes, she is.......and you are trying my patience....but I know that if I perservere... I will eventually get an answer!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for them to explain why the bus drivers in London are all enclosed in glass !!!!
They're too dangerous to let them run free!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Toontje
They're too dangerous to let them run free!
You re really alot of help.....so I'm still waiting......
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:54 am
Once bemused

You re really alot of help.....so I'm still waiting......
No, it really is true. The job is traditionally undertaken by people with mental illness in England. It's a tradition going back to Victorian times when there was a shortage of men available to drive the hansom cabs and horse-drawn trams during the Boer war.