Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Permanent resident card picture.

Permanent resident card picture.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:58 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Permanent resident card picture.

Hi All

My wife and oldest daughter have had letters sent to go for interview for the above where they no doubt want to retake their pictures, which they sent to my aunts house in Hamilton that we gave for our address where they also want them to go for the interview.

We are going back permanently next month and I wondered what my wife and daughter do as we will be going back without their cards.

Does anyone know if they will they need to get a travel document from London or will they be able to use their COPR and Visa + the letter?

Thanks

Dan
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice
Default Re: Permanent resident card picture.

Immigration visa can be used once, what they have already done. They can either enter using visa waiver as EU citizens, or if they are not - get the travel document for $50 each. If they do not go to that appointment to have photos taken, they will need to reapply for PR card later and that time it's going to cost $50 - PR card is free only on first arrival.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:49 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks,

So if they just re-enter showing british passports will this be ok even though they are travelling one way?

Do you know if they have to go to London for the travel document if needed or can they apply by post?

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Thanks,

So if they just re-enter showing british passports will this be ok even though they are travelling one way?
Hmmm... Good question. I believe that's what people do normally. You never know what airport people will think. I bet there must be some people on the forum who did that.
Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Do you know if they have to go to London for the travel document if needed or can they apply by post?

Thanks
By post should work.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

i was in a position where i activated my PR status by landing in March, but then returned to the UK after 2 weeks as we were only on a 'reccie'.

I had concerns about such needs for PR presentation on arrival, following our one way trip back to Canada.

What i gathered was that the airlines are the primary point of concern. If they allow a passenger to board, who has no right to remain in Canada, then it is the airline who has to foot the bill when sending the naughty person back to where they came from.

EU citizens ought not suffer due to this scenario tho, as we are part of Canada's visa waiver scheme and thus can enter as temporary touristy visitors. an EU passport should negate the need for such travel documents being bought. However some airlines, such as the charter companies, might employ those lovely 'jobs worth' types. Meanwhile Air Canada have on their www site the statement that travel docs and PR cards are not necessary when flying with them.

Otherwise, the border guard on arrival might frown a bit at the lack of a PR card; but he can check his computer to ensure all is as it needs to be, for the sake of national security.

With all this said though, i was relieved to receive my card in the UK, having had it forwarded by my best pal in Toronto.

If you can spare the occasional $50 (but who can these days?) you might err on the side of caution, if for nothing more than stress free travels. good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
EU citizens ought not suffer due to this scenario tho, as we are part of Canada's visa waiver scheme and thus can enter as temporary touristy visitors. an EU passport should negate the need for such travel documents being bought.
I'd be wary about making a sweeping generalisation about EU citizens not needing a visa. Visas are required for visitors from some EU countries (i.e. the big news story last week about introducing them for people from the Czech Republic).
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:37 pm
mclauchlan35

I will give the airline a call and see what they think, if they say it is ok then we will just go with the passport and supporting docs.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KS2008
I'd be wary about making a sweeping generalisation about EU citizens not needing a visa.
you are quite right. i amend myself!

if anyone happens to originate from Bulgaria, Czech, Lithuania or Romania please ignore me. But do please consult pages such as:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

and

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...traveldoc.html

I apologise for any and all confusions. i meant no harm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:18 pm
mclauchlan35

Phoned CHC today, need to get travel documents for both.