Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

permanent residency card renewal

permanent residency card renewal

Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent residency card renewal

My residency card is due to expire this year, do i need to renew it? and if so can anyone point me in the right direction to get it done?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:41 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: permanent residency card renewal

You will need to renew it if you want to leave Canada (and come back). Call 1 888 242‑2100, follow the menu options and they will send you the application for renewal. If you won't be going anywhere for 18 months become a cicitizen
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Or download forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/prcard.asp
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys appreciate it
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Even if applying for citizenship, renew PR Card anyway. You may need it before citizenship is granted, for a variety of reasons. If you have to send away old one for renewal, keep a copy.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

And I'd like to thank you for starting this thread because it caused me to look at my PR card and think 'Oh crap it's expired and I'm travelling to UK in July, I better get a replacement!'
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

capillano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Even if applying for citizenship, renew PR Card anyway. You may need it before citizenship is granted, for a variety of reasons. If you have to send away old one for renewal, keep a copy.
I would like to know what the rule is for Canadian PR holders who have been physically in Canada for about 2yrs and due to family commitments (caring for parents) would need to return back to the UK and don't really know when it might be possible to return back to Canada.

I am aware that if one completes the 1095 days of residency they can apply for Canadian citizenship and return back to the UK while you wait for the application get processed and come back and do the citizenship test etc.

Is there a rule which would limit ones right to returning to Canada as a PR after moving away for a number of years or does the PR allow almost indefinite leave to return back to Canada?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capillano
I would like to know what the rule is for Canadian PR holders who have been physically in Canada for about 2yrs and due to family commitments (caring for parents) would need to return back to the UK and don't really know when it might be possible to return back to Canada.

I am aware that if one completes the 1095 days of residency they can apply for Canadian citizenship and return back to the UK while you wait for the application get processed and come back and do the citizenship test etc.

Is there a rule which would limit ones right to returning to Canada as a PR after moving away for a number of years or does the PR allow almost indefinite leave to return back to Canada?
As a permanent resident you need to maintain residence for 2 years out of every 5 on a rolling basis.

So if you'd been here for 2 years then you left you could theoretically be away for up to 6 years before returning - but you'd then have to live here for all of the next 2 years (and so on thereafter).
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:14 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by adele
As a permanent resident you need to maintain residence for 2 years out of every 5 on a rolling basis.

So if you'd been here for 2 years then you left you could theoretically be away for up to 6 years before returning - but you'd then have to live here for all of the next 2 years (and so on thereafter).
No, it is a rolling 5 year period, if the OP lived in Canada for 2 years, and then left for 3, s/he would have to remain in Canada for the following 2 years without leaving Canada.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, it is a rolling 5 year period, if the OP lived in Canada for 2 years, and then left for 3, s/he would have to remain in Canada for the following 2 years without leaving Canada.
Of course, sorry, I thought that didn't sound quite right! End of a long day, apologies...and thanks PMM
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point

For info of anybody who wishes to renew there PR card. The current processing time is 88 days. And they are only currently processing PR Cards that arrived on the 4th of Jan 2010. If you are planning on travelling over the summer you had better get them in.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Thanks adele and PMM,

Just to clarify if I understand this correctly.

I will have lived in Canada for 2yrs in approx July 2010, this would mean that I will have met the 2yr rule in a 5 yr (2008-2013) period and if I had to move back to the UK after July 2010 I would need to make sure I return back to Canada latest 2017? in order to maintain my PR status.

My intention is to complete the 3yr period if I can but wanted to be informed about how the 2yr rule would apply should I need to return back to care for parents.

Have I got the dates right?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:32 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie500
For info of anybody who wishes to renew there PR card. The current processing time is 88 days. And they are only currently processing PR Cards that arrived on the 4th of Jan 2010. If you are planning on travelling over the summer you had better get them in.
While this is true, if you have travel booked they say you can enclose proof of that and they will expedite your card (within reason I suppose) to try to meet that deadline.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:07 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by capillano
Thanks adele and PMM,

Just to clarify if I understand this correctly.

I will have lived in Canada for 2yrs in approx July 2010, this would mean that I will have met the 2yr rule in a 5 yr (2008-2013) period and if I had to move back to the UK after July 2010 I would need to make sure I return back to Canada latest 2017? in order to maintain my PR status.

My intention is to complete the 3yr period if I can but wanted to be informed about how the 2yr rule would apply should I need to return back to care for parents.

Have I got the dates right?
No, July 2013 The rolling period would go back 5 years from July/13 and then you would have 2 years in 5. But in August/13 the period would go back to Aug/08 and you would not have 2 years in 5 and you wouldn't meet your residence status.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, July 2013 The rolling period would go back 5 years from July/13 and then you would have 2 years in 5. But in August/13 the period would go back to Aug/08 and you would not have 2 years in 5 and you wouldn't meet your residence status.
This is touch been too complicated to grasp. I will have to dig up the rules with examples.

Thanks for the update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.