Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People Happy With Canada

People Happy With Canada

Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:54 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People Happy With Canada

I only come on here occasionally, but of late there seems to be so many stereotypical threads.

UK full of chavs, going down the drain..... blah blah blah. Get a grip, the UK is an amazing place to live, the diversity, history, culture & varied scenery in such a small place, plus Europe on your doorstep. There are many who would kill to live in such great country.

And the crap posted about Canada too - no good jobs for immigrants, my qualifications aren't recognised. Oh please... do your research and do something about it. Some things cost more, some less - if you're moving purely for financial reasons then think again.

I loved living in the UK, and love it here in Canada too. I miss my family & friends, and yeah the immigration process is a bitch. But I'm prepared to go through all this because Canada is where I want to be right now.....

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be put off moving here just because what they've read on an internet forum, but it does suck reading all this negativity.

Now bring on that SNOW
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I don't really come on this forum any more as I am very settled in my lifestyle in good ole' Canadia!!

I have popped on here over the past week or so and read a few of the posts - why all the downing of Canada? I think this is why I left this forum in the first place. All this doom and gloom nonsense!

Any country is what you make it.....including the UK! I loved my life in the UK - I didn't run away from anything and I wasn't really thrilled to move away from my beloved Hampshire.....however I did! The whim of my husband was to leave the UK and set up a business in Canada. I did that for him - me....alone! I moved out here with my 8 year old daughter - set up a business and waited for my husband to join us......2 years later he arrived.

Our business 2 years on is a thriving business. Many worries along the line - yes! But no more so than if we had moved to a different area of England. I did this alone - yes a woman, god forbid! I make a good salary for our family - I worked hard for this - but I enjoy it.

I don't come on here anymore because I find it blooming depressing to say the least. And you know what? I know plenty British people over here who enjoy, love the culture and would never return. Some of you guys on here seem so blooming despondent and miserable that it really is a wonder why anyone who found this forum would ever want to move to Canada!

For anyone considering moving to Canada - just get on with it! Trust your instincts and go with it. If you were happy with your life in the UK then you will be happy anywhere....so it might as well be Canada.

Canada is no candy-apple place - yes you have to work hard at it - nothing is given to you on a plate here - but if you are up for the risk then just go for it!

For those who hate Canada - why don't you just go back to where you came from instead of whinging day in day out on this forum about how cruddy it is here?

Apologies to anyone I have offended but jeez it really is no wonder that only whingers come onto this forum! There are PLENTY of us ex-pats who are soooo busy with our lives that we don't have time to come and moan on this forum.

Have a nice day and a fantastic life.

Well, I'm pleased to hear you are doing great! I was a newbie on the forum when you were moving over and you certainly inspired me and eventually, we got our place in the queue, so thank you!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:41 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yonk
Well, I'm pleased to hear you are doing great! I was a newbie on the forum when you were moving over and you certainly inspired me and eventually, we got our place in the queue, so thank you!
Wonderful to hear you're doing well Tia

As for the forum, yes there are people here who point-score but that happens on 'every' internet forum. I promise.

Regarding negative posts - on the UK, well we all have our complaints and many of them are valid. Anyone remember Voyager's little boy being beaten? He and his are recently arrived in Canada are probably living it up, or soon will be once they're settled. Who's going to tell him he shouldn't have posted because he was being a 'whinger'?

Re those on Canada, if the only people that posted just helped those of us still in the UK strap on the rose-tinteds what on earth use would this place serve? We all need to know the downsides too or we 'would' be upset when we went searching for car insurance in BC wouldn't we.

There are some great, truly helpful, and charismatic people here and let's face it, this place is designed to let us share personal experiences. If it wasn't all we would be able to do is swap timelines and share a moan about CIC's ineptitude in the immigration forum.

I like it here... don't scare away all the nice people please...

edit: sorry Yonk. Not directed at you. Just hit reply on the last post. N00b error.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
It's not for you. It's for people that listen to you.

K.

Im sure if you started a poll on who people prefer out of the two of us posting im pretty confident you wouldnt lead!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
I like it here... don't scare away all the nice people please...

LOL - You insinuating that all the "nice" people are whingers? )
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:41 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

That is terrible advice. There are plenty of people that did exactly what you say and discovered that they don't like Canada more than the UK and either return or can't afford to return. It's much better to do some research before the major upheaval of a move to another country, especially since the CHC is almost at the inter-generational application stage.

K.

Here's a bit of Advice you can't research Life you live it.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grah
How Bizarre.
Antecedents/Consequences?
Just renounce me as a snivelling brit, with a learning curve tendency!

Last edited by Sunshine Girl; Oct 17th 2006 at 5:17 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Im sure if you started a poll on who people prefer out of the two of us posting im pretty confident you wouldnt lead!
Depends on who would bother to reply.
Having said that, it is pretty clicky on here, so I'd guess you'd win!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Very good. Did you read that off a pappy greeting card or make that syrup up for yourself?

K.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:37 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

my 2 penneth.
i'd never really used the net at all before finding this site. Clearly such a massive change in life style required lots of research, for me anyway. I've found the forum mostly very, very helpful and i'm grateful for the time people have taken to contribute and reply. it must get quite tedious at times, as i'm sure the longer serving members have answered the same questions many, many times before, yet they are still patient and understanding enough to do it again.
unfortunately these posters have their polar opposite. it appears the main reason these people post is to read what they have written, with a wry smile on their face, thinking "oh i am so clever". actually they are rather obtuse, cynical and sad. i really cannot ever see the need for direct or indirect attacks on other posters, generalisations and insults, because they think its amusing. its not.
i'll not mention any names, we all know who they are and i'll not give them the oxygen of publicity. there is more to life than how many stars you have after your name on expats.
once again completely drifting from the o/p's original question, sorry. I can't wait. still having good and bad days, but when i do get news, i'm thrilled.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

I did this alone - yes a woman, god forbid! I make a good salary for our family - I worked hard for this - but I enjoy it.

Well done Tia, you have done fantastically well. Having read some of your earlier posts I had been wondering how you were doing.
Please don't allow these spats between some people to make you stay away from the forum for good.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:52 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

That is terrible advice. There are plenty of people that did exactly what you say and discovered that they don't like Canada more than the UK and either return or can't afford to return. It's much better to do some research before the major upheaval of a move to another country, especially since the CHC is almost at the inter-generational application stage.

K.
Oh don't be so ridiculous, LMAO!! Where in my post did I say go to any country without doing research and without safeguarding your money? If people are prepared to move/emigrate without ensuring these 2 factors have been covered.....then sorry but they are complete fools and it is no wonder they don't succeed....but then they probably never succeeded in England either if this is the flippant way in which they deal with life! Generally success breeds success.

10 trips to British Columbia and countless trips to Ontario helped us enormously.......... but it wasn't until we actually lived here that the real learning began.

If people are sensible and of a pleasant demeanor then they will likely be just as happy living anywhere in the world. Some people will never be happy with their lot in life - which one are you kt0157?

--------------------

To all my old friends on here; some were established members who inspired me tremendously; some were going through the whole "Immigration thing" alongside me - thank you to all of you!! It is really wonderful to see you all again I truly hope that all has worked out well for you and whatever choices you made have been good ones.

As we all know, the waiting game is a long time and there are many worries and concerns along the way, particularly if you were like me and were very happy indeed with your lifestyle in the UK. Lots of people on here were incredibly helpful and informative when I was going through the process and I don't believe these people have changed any - it seems that they are still as kind to spend their valuable time to try to answer any questions others might have.

The reason for my initial post was that I felt that for those who haven't made it here yet, or are just embarking on their new adventure, that this forum (and Canada) must feel like a very depressing place for them. I wanted to even things up a little.

Canada is a nice place. There are lovely people here. Many many Brits are happy here. Some are not, however, I know that I for one did have a Plan B if our Canadian life were not to turn out the way we hoped ........ sounds blatently obvious to me but here's a tip - you know that huge organ that we are all given at birth? The one that lives inside that funny round thing which perches on top of our neck........it's there to be used!

Winter is on it's way, so I will likely pop on here more as life starts to calm down a bit.

Tia
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Oh don't be so ridiculous, LMAO!! Where in my post did I say go to any country without doing research and without safeguarding your money? If people are prepared to move/emigrate without ensuring these 2 factors have been covered.....then sorry but they are complete fools and it is no wonder they don't succeed....but then they probably never succeeded in England either if this is the flippant way in which they deal with life! Generally success breeds success.

10 trips to British Columbia and countless trips to Ontario helped us enormously.......... but it wasn't until we actually lived here that the real learning began.

If people are sensible and of a pleasant demeanor then they will likely be just as happy living anywhere in the world. Some people will never be happy with their lot in life - which one are you kt0157?

--------------------

To all my old friends on here; some were established members who inspired me tremendously; some were going through the whole "Immigration thing" alongside me - thank you to all of you!! It is really wonderful to see you all again I truly hope that all has worked out well for you and whatever choices you made have been good ones.

As we all know, the waiting game is a long time and there are many worries and concerns along the way, particularly if you were like me and were very happy indeed with your lifestyle in the UK. Lots of people on here were incredibly helpful and informative when I was going through the process and I don't believe these people have changed any - it seems that they are still as kind to spend their valuable time to try to answer any questions others might have.

The reason for my initial post was that I felt that for those who haven't made it here yet, or are just embarking on their new adventure, that this forum (and Canada) must feel like a very depressing place for them. I wanted to even things up a little.

Canada is a nice place. There are lovely people here. Many many Brits are happy here. Some are not, however, I know that I for one did have a Plan B if our Canadian life were not to turn out the way we hoped ........ sounds blatently obvious to me but here's a tip - you know that huge organ that we are all given at birth? The one that lives inside that funny round thing which perches on top of our neck........it's there to be used!

Winter is on it's way, so I will likely pop on here more as life starts to calm down a bit.

Tia
Wonderful to hear from you and that everything is going well...keep in touch!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

I cant believe anybody visiting this forums life is any way validated by subjective views of posters. The balance of all points of view seems fair taken from peoples personal experiences, but I for one would not gain much insight from somebodies rantings about living in Toronto, as BC is a world apart as far as I am concerned.
Information about black and white issues is perhaps more useful to folks researching. Having said that people obsessing about taxes, cable Tv and marmite are not really going to be factors that make or break the process once here.
Somebody mentioned the foolishness of not having plan B or being financially covered, maybe if you come from a comfortable background thats an issue.
Some of us needed the challenge; to get out of the comfort zone that the UK can be, and have a real life make or break challenge.
I suspect the vast majority of successful ex-pats have no time or inclination to post, so by definition people here have an axe to grind and so may it continue.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:28 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for nearly 2 years now (Canada, not the board).

This is my home, my country, my people, my friends, my family.

Some people can adapt to change, and others cannot. Canada is not Shangri-La, the streets of Toronto are not paved with gold. Like Brits there are good and bad, I've actually encountered the nastiest person I've ever met in my life in Canada. But then I have several friends over here that I know would do almost anything for me. There are good things and bad. But on balance the quality of my life is immeasurably higher than it ever was in the UK. I'm about to start my first Christmas here, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

I could never imagine going back to the UK to live. But then again, never say never.

I don't post here much often now (I can remember coming here to read every day at one time) because I'm just too busy getting on with life, paying the bills, having beer with friends and I'm not too interested in all of the Canada, Good or Bad arguements that always seem to break out. Personally I've never had a problem with the Canadian Experience thing, and perhaps uncharitably, I think that for some it indicates a failure to adapt, to recognise that they are living in a different country with a different culture, and therefore work practices are much different. I have also found Canada to be much less racist than the UK, and at times I've been shocked by my own UK prejudices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.