Pensions

Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:04 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Pensions

Hi chaps!

Can anyone please tell me the best thing to do with existing UK pensions when the CIC finally get round to letting us into Canada (I'll be moving to Ontatio hopefully)? Is there an issue with tax? I have heard there is a possibility of paying both UK and Canadian tax when you come to take the pension - is this correct? Any info at all on this subject would be greatfully received - ta!

Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:31 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensions

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi chaps!

Can anyone please tell me the best thing to do with existing UK pensions when the CIC finally get round to letting us into Canada (I'll be moving to Ontatio hopefully)? Is there an issue with tax? I have heard there is a possibility of paying both UK and Canadian tax when you come to take the pension - is this correct? Any info at all on this subject would be greatfully received - ta!

Just dealing with this issue as it happens. You can leave your pension where it is and collect it when the time comes in Sterling. Providing you have elected to pay tax in Canada, you can notify the UK that you want your pension gross and then pay tax on it here. If you want to transfer the pension to a Canadian scheme now, you can do it (admittedly with some difficulty) as long as the receiving scheme satisfies certain criteria. I am waiting on yet another letter from Blighty on this issue, as I am also entitled to a proportion of my ex husband's UK pension. Tricky but not impossible.