Pensioners

Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Gunfitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pensioners

Hi all,

I was wondering if any pensioners could comment on the quality of life in Canada compared to UK?

If I migrated I would not want to be a burden to my children, or the state.

Any info on the following :-

Health care.
Retirement accommodation.
General happiness of senior people in Canada as opposed to UK.

Both of my Grand Parents who had been through 2 World Wars, seemed concerned by the deal that they were receiving from the UK during their retirement.

This is not aimed as a moan about how the UK Government treats it's Senior people, and I am not after any financial advice. Just comments about how Senior people feel in Canada since migration.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

exbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to all
Default Re: Pensioners

Hi Gunfitter,
First thing - you're not a pensioner or OAP, you're a senior, it sounds a lot more dignified! My mom followed us out to Canada five years ago and settled well. She does get homesick for her family occasionally still. She will admit that the standard of living is better here, has made lots of friends and has an active social life. I believe seniors here are shown more respect than in the UK - stores have seniors benefits with signs saying for example, 10% discount for seniors aged 60 or better!
We thought long and hard about the best place for my mom to live and decided that a senior community would be the best option for her. We felt it would be easier for her to make friends when everybody around her was a similar age. We were right, her neighbours became friends very easily. Most, even small towns, will have condo buildings or areas specifically for seniors. There seem to be a lot of activities, clubs, etc especially geared to her age group.
Canada is a huge place and health care obviously varies from place to place. She feels that the health care here is superior. We live in a small town and think our health care is more instantly available than in major cities. However prescriptions can be costly here, subsidies for seniors vary from province to province, but a drug plan would help ease any concerns you or your family may have.
Think carefully before you commit - I'm sure you would be made to feel very welcome - but make sure you would not miss the UK too much. Overall I would say go for it, and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Gunfitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pensioners

Thank you Ex Brit,

It was just trying to stop any worring thoughts about my OH, and Me waiting for a government fuel allowance hand out during winter time.