British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Pension Options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/pension-options-935330/)

Atlantic Xpat Oct 22nd 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Pension Options
 
Jumping into this thread - but only after wishing Mr Piff Poff a speedy recovery!

I paid NIC from 1990 through to 2004 when I emigrated. If I check my NI contribution record I obviously have zero contributions from 2004 onwards. It appears the price of buying further years is GBP795 / year.

When I check my UK pension entitlement I get the info below:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...91a8aad67b.jpg
So I'm confused., Assuming no further contributions am I going to get 81 quid a week or 175 quid a week?

I'm assuming the former.

BristolUK Oct 22nd 2020 8:07 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12924938)
Jumping into this thread - but only after wishing Mr Piff Poff a speedy recovery!

I paid NIC from 1990 through to 2004 when I emigrated. If I check my NI contribution record I obviously have zero contributions from 2004 onwards. It appears the price of buying further years is GBP795 / year.

When I check my UK pension entitlement I get the info below:


So I'm confused., Assuming no further contributions am I going to get 81 quid a week or 175 quid a week?

I'm assuming the former.

The former - uprated by whatever % between now and when you would start to get it.

Piff Poff Oct 23rd 2020 1:42 am

Re: Pension Options
 
AX that's almost the same figures as me lol. I have a email request in. I'll post the results when I get them


Mr Piff is doing much better but hasn't yet got a release date.

Than you all for your thoughts.

Tangram Oct 23rd 2020 2:15 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12925006)
The former - uprated by whatever % between now and when you would start to get it.


Where does it say how much it will cost you to get the full amount of years required for full pension. I find the whole thing very confusing.

shelley748 Oct 23rd 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Pension Options
 
The max with NO further contributions is 81 pounds a week.




Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12924938)
Jumping into this thread - but only after wishing Mr Piff Poff a speedy recovery!

I paid NIC from 1990 through to 2004 when I emigrated. If I check my NI contribution record I obviously have zero contributions from 2004 onwards. It appears the price of buying further years is GBP795 / year.

When I check my UK pension entitlement I get the info below:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...91a8aad67b.jpg
So I'm confused., Assuming no further contributions am I going to get 81 quid a week or 175 quid a week?

I'm assuming the former.


shelley748 Oct 23rd 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12925287)
Where does it say how much it will cost you to get the full amount of years required for full pension. I find the whole thing very confusing.

It usually tells you below the information the OP posted....

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2020 4:20 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12925287)
Where does it say how much it will cost you to get the full amount of years required for full pension. I find the whole thing very confusing.


Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12925301)
It usually tells you below the information the OP posted....

Sorry Tangram, I don't have access to my account anymore so I can't check.
You probably have a rough idea how many years you contributed for and 35 years gets the full whack. Then multiply the number of years short by the cost of class 2 (£150 per year) or class 3 (£800) and you'll have a rough idea.

If you make a formal application they'll confirm how many and whether you can pay C2. You're not bound to actually doing it so nothing to lose.
I vaguely remember from mine that I was 'invited' to pay for more missing years than were actually missing. :ohmy: :lol:


Tangram Oct 23rd 2020 4:42 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12925347)
Sorry Tangram, I don't have access to my account anymore so I can't check.
You probably have a rough idea how many years you contributed for and 35 years gets the full whack. Then multiply the number of years short by the cost of class 2 (£150 per year) or class 3 (£800) and you'll have a rough idea.

If you make a formal application they'll confirm how many and whether you can pay C2. You're not bound to actually doing it so nothing to lose.
I vaguely remember from mine that I was 'invited' to pay for more missing years than were actually missing. :ohmy: :lol:


Thanks Bristol. Forms ready to send off this weekend to check. That's a big difference between class 2 and 3. Geez I hope it's class 2

Piff Poff Oct 28th 2020 1:26 am

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12925359)
Thanks Bristol. Forms ready to send off this weekend to check. That's a big difference between class 2 and 3. Geez I hope it's class 2

was that form CF83?

Splitvw2 Oct 28th 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Pension Options
 
1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12925347)
Sorry Tangram, I don't have access to my account anymore so I can't check.
You probably have a rough idea how many years you contributed for and 35 years gets the full whack. Then multiply the number of years short by the cost of class 2 (£150 per year) or class 3 (£800) and you'll have a rough idea.

If you make a formal application they'll confirm how many and whether you can pay C2. You're not bound to actually doing it so nothing to lose.
I vaguely remember from mine that I was 'invited' to pay for more missing years than were actually missing. :ohmy: :lol:

Hi sorry if I being slow but from above if I have paid 36 years full contribution have I paid full amount or do I need to make up to 2035 (15 years ) to get the full pension?

BristolUK Oct 28th 2020 11:24 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Splitvw2 (Post 12927322)
Hi sorry if I being slow but from above if I have paid 36 years full contribution have I paid full amount or do I need to make up to 2035 (15 years ) to get the full pension?

If you've paid 36 years you will get the full amount. Somewhere on your account it should say what your pension would be based on what you've paid so far like shown on post 31 and that would be the full amount, currently £175.20 (subject to the annual uprating between now and when you become eligible to apply.)

Tangram Nov 2nd 2020 12:41 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12927071)
was that form CF83?

Yes. Sent the two forms off last week.

Tangram Nov 7th 2020 2:49 pm

Re: Pension Options
 
Hoping it comes back as Class 2 as according to the website it would cost 795 per year to top up each of my 12 year shortfall. If that's the case I don't really have $16,000 to throw at something which may or may not pay out in 13 years time depending on which bag of &^%$^& is in office at the time. Class 2 I could live with.


It does say I have 26 years of full contributions and my wife 28 years, so not sure I'm reading that correctly with the website showing empty years above them ?

Lion Heart Nov 10th 2020 4:16 pm

Re: Pension Options
 

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12924938)

Does anyone have a link to the page where you can check this entitlement information, as in the image above. I cannot find this on the .gov pages???

Lion Heart Nov 10th 2020 4:17 pm

Re: Pension Options
 
Found it!!! https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...ension/account


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:19 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.