PEI

Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

leesk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PEI

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about life on PEI? I was born and raised in NB but got out as soon as I could, escaped to the UK in 1985 and haven't been back to the Maritime's for longer than 2 weeks at a time. We visited PEI this summer for 4 days and we loved it, great food, beaches, breath-taking scenery, my husband fell in love and applied for a job. Looks like he might get the job so what can we expect if he accepts? Schools in Charlottetown?
We are currently living in the Middle East so it will be a huge move especially for my 9 year old son.

Please help, any advice?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PEI

Originally Posted by leesk
Hi,

Can anyone tell me about life on PEI? I was born and raised in NB but got out as soon as I could, escaped to the UK in 1985 and haven't been back to the Maritime's for longer than 2 weeks at a time. We visited PEI this summer for 4 days and we loved it, great food, beaches, breath-taking scenery, my husband fell in love and applied for a job. Looks like he might get the job so what can we expect if he accepts? Schools in Charlottetown?
We are currently living in the Middle East so it will be a huge move especially for my 9 year old son.

Please help, any advice?
As you say, it's a beautiful place, and a very laid back pace of life. The Province relies heavily upon tourism and farming (potatoes), and I would imagine employment prospects outside of these areas would be very limited.

I'd be very wary of moving to somewhere after seeing it from a vacation point of view- real life is completely different. People often make the same mistaken when visting the maritimes- it's a great place to spend a week or two, but living there is completely different.

If you're in the middle east, you're probably earning a very good living, with low taxes. The maritimes typically offer the lowest wages in Canada, with the highest taxes.

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for...

Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:28 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79

The maritimes typically offer the lowest wages in Canada, with the highest taxes.

Good luck.
How very true

From your previous posts you are in the Gulf, and let me assure you, having lived in Muscat for some years... it's nothing like that here!

PEI is beautiful, visually stunning, nice people great seafood, a wonderful environment, but it does have all sorts of social problems too, related to a terrible economy and a disappearing population. You weren't on your own when you left the Maritimes, a recent poll of 12 graders at Fredericton High School found that every single kid planned to leave Atlantic Canada. It is very sad, and something must be done to revive this Province.

I know a man who was born and grew up on his parents farm on
PEI, he loves the place, and says he'd love to live there if he had kids, but that the winters are just brutal. They have to try to tractor the snow out, as because it's flat and the wind blows so much, you have a sort of permanent white out situation, and you can be lost and disoriented just outside your own home.

Where did you grow up? Do you remember why you left? Is your husband's job offer really fantastic?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:35 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on vacation to PEI and agree it's a lovely place. Prior to emigrating I briefly considered purchasing a tourism related business there but the economics didn't look good enough to persuade the wife to move there instead on Nlfd.

One of things that struck me about PEI was how much like South Devon in the UK it was - sandy beaches, red earth etc. If that appeals and you want to move somewhere from the Gulf then actual South Devon might be a better option. It's a lot closer to a lot of other stuff. It is of course massively expensive compared to PEI.

A visit in winter or at least in the Fall when all the summer businesses have closed down might be sensible if at all practical.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

leesk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice, some very sound points to consider indeed. My husband has decided not to accept the job in Charlottetown, which secretly I am relieved to hear. I hope to return to PEI in the summers as often as possible to enjoy it's beauty as a tourist.