Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Peace Arch/Pacific H'way border crossing

Peace Arch/Pacific H'way border crossing

Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future
Default Peace Arch/Pacific H'way border crossing

I hate these border crossings. Last time it took 3 hours (standing in line) to process the 8 people in front of me. My wife ( Canadian citizen) had to stand with me and was not allowed to use the washrooms - "go to the gas station down the road " she was told !!
When it came to my turn the spotty youth in uniform asked me the most stupid questions,I really want to give him some lip back, but I know how that would have ended up !
There are plenty of staff on duty but just watch them and all they do is wander in and out, have a chat with each other, sit in front of a screen then wander off again.

I'm a permanent resident with a UK passport. Nexus is still 2 years away for me and Canadian citizenship is not an option at the moment.
Should I resign myself to this humiliation everytime I head south or is there an answer ?

NB This was crossing from Canada into the USA, not the return which was a friendly "welcome home"

Last edited by badab1ng; Jun 7th 2012 at 10:21 pm. Reason: Clarifying a point.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peace Arch/Pacific H'way border crossing

Shop in Canada.
3 hours are you serious or is there a slight embellishment regarding the time and only 8 persons in front of you.
Unfortunately this is going to be the normal however with the introduction of the new 48 hr limits I tend to think you will be waiting in traffic longer than waiting in the CBSA office to pay duties unless same day shopper or exceeding your exemption limits.
I mean its not like waits at these 2 particular crossings havent been happening over the last 10 years or so.
Harsh it may sound but dont cross on weekends or at peak times.

As for the staff well I cant comment on that nor am I suggesting that part is being embellished.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

No embellishment at all and this was before the new limits were introduced. (Can I clarify this was crossing from Canada to the USA. see edit in original post). We were heading down south for a holiday.
A friend suggested crossing at Point Roberts and obtaining an I -94 with the 3 months validity, apparently it takes less time to process, fill up with gas then home to Vancouver and head down south the next day. What do you think ?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that makes sense then
Ive heard of people driving to other crossings like Aldergrove to avoid the Pac Highway and Peace Arch crossings especially on weekends.
Once you get the I94 waiver then it might be a bit quicker but the traffic still backs up trying to get into the US. Point Roberts is also an option to get the I94.
Plus its now almost summer and more travellers on the road.
Cant really argue with those mean nasty USCBP officers
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:15 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badab1ng
I hate these border crossings. Last time it took 3 hours (standing in line) to process the 8 people in front of me. My wife ( Canadian citizen) had to stand with me and was not allowed to use the washrooms - "go to the gas station down the road " she was told !!
When it came to my turn the spotty youth in uniform asked me the most stupid questions,I really want to give him some lip back, but I know how that would have ended up !
There are plenty of staff on duty but just watch them and all they do is wander in and out, have a chat with each other, sit in front of a screen then wander off again.

I'm a permanent resident with a UK passport. Nexus is still 2 years away for me and Canadian citizenship is not an option at the moment.
Should I resign myself to this humiliation everytime I head south or is there an answer ?

NB This was crossing from Canada into the USA, not the return which was a friendly "welcome home"
Hey .....you handled that well by not opening your gob. Some of them really get off on that, and indeed ask you some of the most ridiculous questions ever.
If you show some attitude, they will delay you and your partner will have to share in the misery, which can make for a not so enjoyable trip.

Being Canadian now with a Blue passport, military passport and ID to boot, crossing and airport boarding is a breeze. I am also able to get discount and free entry to places of interest in most states.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Hey .....you handled that well by not opening your gob. Some of them really get off on that, and indeed ask you some of the most ridiculous questions ever.
If you show some attitude, they will delay you and your partner will have to share in the misery, which can make for a not so enjoyable trip.

Being Canadian now with a Blue passport, military passport and ID to boot, crossing and airport boarding is a breeze. I am also able to get discount and free entry to places of interest in most states.
Military passport? Are you serving Can military?

Jim
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:30 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Military passport? Are you serving Can military?

Jim

Yes guv....I thought the avatar gave that away?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes guv....I thought the avatar gave that away?
As opposed to ex-Brit military, you numpty! Haha? Could have been a pic from a previous life or ..... God forbid ... A Walt pic! Lol. Best of luck mate.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:26 pm
Banned

As opposed to ex-Brit military, you numpty! Haha? Could have been a pic from a previous life or ..... God forbid ... A Walt pic! Lol. Best of luck mate.
True enough...cheers guv
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

I know.
Question: Who are you meeting in Palm Springs ?
Answer: No one
Question: So why are you going if you don't know anyone down there ?
Answer: Americas a cheap place to visit !

Question: When were you last in America and how long did you stay ?
Answer: March 2011, we stayed 5 weeks
Question: Are you sure it wasn't 5 months ?
Answer: No, why would I stay 5 months ?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by badab1ng
I know.
Question: Who are you meeting in Palm Springs ?
Answer: No one
Question: So why are you going if you don't know anyone down there ?
Answer: Americas a cheap place to visit !

Question: When were you last in America and how long did you stay ?
Answer: March 2011, we stayed 5 weeks
Question: Are you sure it wasn't 5 months ?
Answer: No, why would I stay 5 months ?

I made the mistake of doing this when I was on PR card

officer: Where do you live?
Me: Ontario
Officer: Where in the UK are you from?
me: London
Officer: What part of London?
Me: Why is that officer? Cos like I just told you, I live in Ontario now and here is my PR card
Officer: I have a right to ask you
Me: OK...have you been to the UK before officer?
Officer: No...why do you ask?
Me: So if I told you am from west ham, would you know where that is?
Officer: That is it, I am sending you upstairs
me: I went upstairs and ended up being there for over an hour
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I made the mistake of doing this when I was on PR card

officer: Where do you live?
Me: Ontario
Officer: Where in the UK are you from?
me: London
Officer: What part of London?
Me: Why is that officer? Cos like I just told you, I live in Ontario now and here is my PR card
Officer: I have a right to ask you
Me: OK...have you been to the UK before officer?
Officer: No...why do you ask?
Me: So if I told you am from west ham, would you know where that is?
Officer: That is it, I am sending you upstairs
me: I went upstairs and ended up being there for over an hour
Part of the USCBP/CBSA one step AA meeting scenario
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:05 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We're getting our Canadian passports so we get across faster. Always disliked the Americans at the Peace Arch, always vile.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

I once had a big black immigration geezer ask me if I lived in Belgium when I was entering with a Brit passport on a military exercise ??? !!! Not the sharpest tool in the box!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I once had a big black immigration geezer ask me if I lived in Belgium when I was entering with a Brit passport on a military exercise ??? !!! Not the sharpest tool in the box!
Please tell me he was a US officer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.