Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PCR test or antigen Canada to uk

PCR test or antigen Canada to uk

Old Aug 9th 2021, 2:42 am
Just Joined

jon67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PCR test or antigen Canada to uk

just wondering I'm fully vaccinated and travelling to the uk, do i only need a negative antigen test to show for the flight heading out and not a PCR test. also do they check you have booked your day 2 test at customs and who does it? boots the chemist ?
Old Aug 9th 2021, 7:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCR test or antigen Canada to uk

Originally Posted by jon67
just wondering I'm fully vaccinated and travelling to the uk, do i only need a negative antigen test to show for the flight heading out and not a PCR test. also do they check you have booked your day 2 test at customs and who does it? boots the chemist ?
An antigen test is fine. And you can book your test with any of the providers listed (https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider), you have to provide details of it on your passenger locator form. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

And if it's not a one way trip, make sure you do everything needed for the return to Canada too!

HTH.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is you have to book your Day 2 and also Day 8 tests for UK in advance and enter your details on the passenger locator form. I’ve also seen reports from travellers saying they also wanted to see the receipt for the purchase of those tests.
The suggestion was also to print things off for easy access which is what I propose doing to ease the stress.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. So where would I go for these tests? I'm going home to Manchester ? Can I use these self test kits are they good enough do you know?
Old Aug 10th 2021, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. So where would I go for these tests? I'm going home to Manchester ? Can I use these self test kits are they good enough do you know?
Have a look at the gov.uk site for rules entering from an Amber country - if you’ve been vaccinated in Canada, unfortunately you’re not classed as fully vaccinated by the current UK rules. That means to have to quarantine and as a minimum, do tests on Day 2 and Day 8. You can pay for and do an additional one on Day 5 which, if negative, means you get early release from quarantine but you’ll still have to do the Day 8 test.
The website also gives you recommendations of where you can buy the tests - you have to do that before you go and enter the details on your Passenger Locator Form.
I can’t tell you more because I haven’t gone through the process yet but that site will guide you.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 5:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

See the link above - it gives you a list of all providers. Yes, home testing is fine as long as it’s an authorised test, as above you’ll be quarantining anyway so getting them sent to your place of quarantine is fine.

HTH.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 2:22 am
Just Joined

hi, so i have looked at the website and wondering how do you decide which test to have? do you go for the cheapest? do i go to boots the chemist and just do a swab test. this hole thing just seems dumb . what's stopping me from just not doing the tests
Old Aug 11th 2021, 2:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

hi, so i have looked at the website and wondering how do you decide which test to have? do you go for the cheapest? do i go to boots the chemist and just do a swab test. this hole thing just seems dumb . what's stopping me from just not doing the tests
Canada is an amber country ..
Use the links provided https://www.find-travel-test-provide...v.uk/test-type
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...d#type-of-test

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england

Before you arrive in England you must book 2 travel tests to be taken:
  • on day 2 after you arrive, or sooner (the day you arrive is day 0)
  • on day 8 after you arrive, or later

List of providers https://www.find-travel-test-provide...est-type/amber

The providers below offer day 2 and day 8 tests. You can filter the list by testing method and location. To order your test, you’ll need to contact providers directly
You will need to fill out a passenger locator form - with the test booking details https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk

You’ll need:
  • your passport details or the travel document you’ll use when you arrive at the UK border
  • your travel details, including times and dates
  • the address where you will stay in the UK (if applicable)
  • booking reference numbers for any COVID-19 tests you must take after arriving in the UK
  • the invoice number for your quarantine hotel booking if you need one

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 11th 2021 at 2:41 am.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled to the UK a few days ago.

EXIT TEST : The antigen test is absolutly fine for the UK. The test is available at some of the major airports (Toronto being one) in only minutes. Note: you will need a test to board any domestic leg in Canada of your UK bound flight. We were struggling to get a test locally in rural Manitoba and found Winnipeg airport were not offering tests. I contacted Air Canada to find out if we could fly Winnipeg to Torronto and then get a quick test before boarding our international flight the answer was a loud and resounding NO. In the end we found Manitoba Health do free PCR tests so got one of those.

UK Locator - You can't get this done until you are within 48 hours of your UK arrival. You can set up an account to prepare the ground but wont be able to put any travel details in until then. You must book a Day 2 test, you don't need a Day 8 Test and you don't need to quarantine despite what some of the confusing info might lead you to believe, also you can do the test as soon as you arrive in the UK. We used Randox home test for the day 2 test, about £45. I would book it no less than a week before your travel so you can be sure it will be waiting for you at your UK address. You can drop the swab in at a collection centre or arrange a DX Courier collection. We used a collection centre and got the result in 24 hours. All the test and locator paperwork is checked prior to departure so entering the UK for us was really quick through the e-gates. When you order the day two test kit the supplier will provide a reference number which you will need to complete the locator form.

Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As per the link, you have to book and pay for the tests in advance, and there's a fine if you don't do it.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
We travelled to the UK a few days ago.

UK Locator - You can't get this done until you are within 48 hours of your UK arrival. You can set up an account to prepare the ground but wont be able to put any travel details in until then. You must book a Day 2 test, you don't need a Day 8 Test and you don't need to quarantine despite what some of the confusing info might lead you to believe, also you can do the test as soon as you arrive in the UK. We used Randox home test for the day 2 test, about £45. I would book it no less than a week before your travel so you can be sure it will be waiting for you at your UK address. You can drop the swab in at a collection centre or arrange a DX Courier collection. We used a collection centre and got the result in 24 hours. All the test and locator paperwork is checked prior to departure so entering the UK for us was really quick through the e-gates. When you order the day two test kit the supplier will provide a reference number which you will need to complete the locator form.

I’m intrigued by your statement as I thought coming from Canada, which is classed as Amber by the UK, we have to quarantine and also do tests on Days 2 and 8? It seems to state it quite clearly but you say it didn’t apply to you. Were there particular circumstances for you or am I totally misunderstanding things I’ve read?
It’s worked for you obviously but as I say, I’m puzzled - can you shed light please?
Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:31 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Randox had some bad press two days ago with collection bins overflowing and unable to meet turn-around times resulting in some people not getting the results they needed in time for a flight - so they had to change their travel arrangements. The bad reports might have kicked them where it hurts but some caution is called for.

I know of one traveller going through LHR on a UK passport from a US flight about 1 week ago who went unchallenged. Simply walked through the e-gate and out.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I’m intrigued by your statement as I thought coming from Canada, which is classed as Amber by the UK, we have to quarantine and also do tests on Days 2 and 8? It seems to state it quite clearly but you say it didn’t apply to you. Were there particular circumstances for you or am I totally misunderstanding things I’ve read?
It’s worked for you obviously but as I say, I’m puzzled - can you shed light please?
Yes, the day 8 test is for those who are not fully vaccinated - I don't think the UK Government will be getting a Crystal Mark for their guidance on this but it's all here: Red, amber and green list rules for entering England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Old Aug 12th 2021, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by btar
Randox had some bad press two days ago with collection bins overflowing and unable to meet turn-around times resulting in some people not getting the results they needed in time for a flight - so they had to change their travel arrangements. The bad reports might have kicked them where it hurts but some caution is called for.

I know of one traveller going through LHR on a UK passport from a US flight about 1 week ago who went unchallenged. Simply walked through the e-gate and out.
I saw that and it did look worrying but can only go on my own experience which is that my wife and I have had 6 separate PCR tests with Randox and they have all comeback within 24 hours. When we arrived in the UK we too just went through the e-gates so I would assume that your locator form is somehow tagged to your passport record.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Yes, the day 8 test is for those who are not fully vaccinated - I don't think the UK Government will be getting a Crystal Mark for their guidance on this but it's all here: Red, amber and green list rules for entering England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

OK - I’ve been vaccinated here in Canada so unfortunately that doesn’t count under the UK rules - presumably you met their criteria but most of us won’t. Looks like most of us have the full testing and quarantine to endure until they change the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.