Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pay As you Go Simcard

Pay As you Go Simcard

Old May 21st 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

albion_exile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pay As you Go Simcard

If you just need a cheap emergency mobile number where you can be contacted, Fido do a PAYG $10(+tax) / month top up which rolls over.
(I think they charged an extortionate $35 for the SIM - so getting a cheap phone locked to them along with a charger and some initial free air time may work out to be a better deal)

Alternatively Telus do a $10(+tax)/month - but you'll need to buy a phone from them (not GSM).

If you top up before the month expires, the balance rolls over.
The more you top up with a month, the lower the per-minute charge.

Some things to note:
  • As pointed out earlier, you pay for "airtime" = (incoming+outgoing calls). This has always struck me as fairer - I shouldn't pay extra because the person I'm calling chooses to have a mobile rather than a landline.
  • If you do bring a GSM phone, check that it is Quad band or Tri-band - you need the 1900 MHz band in cities, and may need the 850MHz band if you are in rural areas. It also should (obviously) be an "unlocked" phone.

Try Telus and Fido websites for more details. Fido is owned by Rogers (the other GSM carrier) and they share their network.