Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

passport in wrong name

passport in wrong name

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

angelz is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool passport in wrong name

wanting some advice here, my dodgy past is catching up. Ive had 3 surnames all legally documented as a result of 2 marriages. Because I didnt go abroad during my second marriage I never bothered changing my passport to my new married name. I am now getting divorced again whilst applying for canadian emigration so obviously I dont want to change my passport to my 2nd old married name then back again cos that'll take like centuries. I use my 2nd married anme for everyday and professionakl purposes so will the Canadian High Com kick off about this - should I make the application in the same name as my passport or change the passport. Because im getting divorced I have nothing to leaglly show my 2nd married name.
Is there any possibility of speaking to a human being at the Canadian High Com as ive tried but just get an irritating recorded message - any ideas??????
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport in wrong name

I don't understand. Surely if you were married the second time, you would have a marriage certificate in your second married name, wouldn't you? And if this is the name that you use professionally then why couldn't you change your passport to your second married name, using your marriage certificate as evidence?

Presumably your passport is in your first married name. So, although I am not an expert, I would assume that if you apply to emigrate in your second married name (say) Smith - then if you send in your passport and it says Mary Jones - you will have some problems.

If your name is now Mary Jones, even if you are getting a divorce, your name will still be Mary Jones. You are not obliged to change your name once you are divorced and I would guess that if everything is in the same name it would not be a problem.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

angelz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: passport in wrong name

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't understand. Surely if you were married the second time, you would have a marriage certificate in your second married name, wouldn't you? And if this is the name that you use professionally then why couldn't you change your passport to your second married name, using your marriage certificate as evidence?

Presumably your passport is in your first married name. So, although I am not an expert, I would assume that if you apply to emigrate in your second married name (say) Smith - then if you send in your passport and it says Mary Jones - you will have some problems.

If your name is now Mary Jones, even if you are getting a divorce, your name will still be Mary Jones. You are not obliged to change your name once you are divorced and I would guess that if everything is in the same name it would not be a problem.
The problem is when u divorce you have to return your marriage certificate, my original plan was to return to my maiden name as I got fed up with changing it but this takes ages in England - up to 6 months and im off to canada for a holiday in 3.