Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport question.

Passport question.

Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Question Passport question.

My UK passport expires this year.

Can anyone see any benefits in renewing it at a cost of $225 for a ten year UK passport, compared to $87 for a 5 year Canadian one?

Most of my travel is to the US, rather than Europe, but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question.

Originally Posted by iaink

Can anyone see any benefits in renewing it at a cost of $225 for a ten year UK passport, compared to $87 for a 5 year Canadian one?

Most of my travel is to the US, rather than Europe, but who knows what the future holds.

Presumably you are Uk / Canadian dual national? Have to say that personally I would never be without a valid UK passport even if a dual national. So I'd be paying for both!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the local gate at British airports.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can use the local gate at British airports.
I would still have to wait around for the wife to catch up anyway

Yes Im a dual citizen now. I cant really see any additional benefit of a British passport, and certainly dont want to pay for both. Im not sure I would feel that uncomfortable without it. I'm not thinkinking about this in an emotive way, just a practical one really.

Im partly thinking it might be easier if I still had a British passport when/if the kids apply to formalise their own British citizenship rights in addition to their natural Canadian citizenship, but thats probably a long way off and might never happen.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 5th 2007 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would still have to wait around for the wife to catch up anyway

Yes Im a dual citizen now. I cant really see any additional benefit of a British passport, and certainly dont want to pay for both. Im not sure I would feel that uncomfortable without it.

Im partly thinking it might be easier if I still had a British passport when/if the kids apply to formalise their own British citizenship rights in addition to their natural Canadian citizenship, but thats probably a long way off and might never happen.
I wouldn't be without the British passport, I feel that it identifies me. The Canadian one is handy for access to the US but I wouldn't use it anywhere else. If I had to choose I'd send the Canadian one back.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:38 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Red is easier to find.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I only use the Canadian one, even for travel to the UK which narks them sometimes.

I prefer that one because it hints at both nationalities (in that my date and place of birth show I'm most likely British) whereas obviously the British one makes no reference to anything Canadian about me.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

If you travel to US a lot I would think a CDN passport its just far easier, the thing with a British passport and travelling to US is you have to fill out a visa wavier form every 3 months to enter the US, Cdn passport is easier for travel to US you just drive across the border and that’s about it. If you don’t travel to US I would say British passport
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by celine_uk
If you travel to US a lot I would think a CDN passport its just far easier, the thing with a British passport and travelling to US is you have to fill out a visa wavier form every 3 months to enter the US, Cdn passport is easier for travel to US you just drive across the border and that’s about it. If you don’t travel to US I would say British passport
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When I travel to the US I currently use my british PP and just show the canadian citizenship card too, and they dont bother me for the I94W most of the time. Its not like I travel a lot....most of the time the passport is stuffed in the back of a drawer anyway.

Im leaning towards the canadian one.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Is there a lot of extra hassle involved if you let the UK passport lapse and then have to get it again from scratch? Or is the same amount of paperwork involved in both processes, as I believe is the case with a Canadian passport? If it is going to be the same process as just renewing it, I would probably let it lapse until I needed it. However I only have one passport anyway and probably always will, so the emotional tie to the UK passport is not an issue for me.

Re your kids formalizing their UK citizenship, don't you just need to produce your UK birth certificate to prove their citizenship rights?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by AnyaT

Re your kids formalizing their UK citizenship, don't you just need to produce your UK birth certificate to prove their citizenship rights?

I'm sure there is some paperwork too, but thats basically it, that and our marriage certificate and their birth certificate plus ID. I imagine the hardest part would be getting a 4 yo to sign entirely within the box
http://www.britishhighcommission.gov...=1107296914378

The danger is that ,if we make the decision that if the kids want to take up UK citizenship or move to europe when they are older that we can cross that bridge when we get to it. A look at the regulations shows that the goalposts for these things have a nasty tendancy to move without much publicity.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The danger is that ,if we make the decision that if the kids want to take up UK citizenship or move to europe when they are older that we can cross that bridge when we get to it. A look at the regulations shows that the goalposts for these things have a nasty tendancy to move without much publicity.
That's why we've kept up the three passports for each of the kids; it's not for us to guess where they may choose to go.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:14 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be without my UK passport.

I know it costs way more to renew here, so I think it would be something I would try to renew when ever I visit the UK when the time comes.

As for the kids I always try and keep both their UK and Canadian valid, besides it always gives you the option to use one or the other if you find yourself in a situation where by one is about to expire but the other is fine.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
I wouldn't be without my UK passport.....
Would feel naked without it...:scared:
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

A few people have said they would never be without their UK passport, but no one has elaborated on that with a reason.

Is it just an emotional attachment, or are there practical considerations I am missing here? For me its just a bit of paper that lies in a drawer most of the time, and doesnt defines who I am in any way. I was british before I got a passport, and would still be british even with a canadian passport, not that nationality really defines who I am either.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 5th 2007 at 6:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.