Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

passport/citizenship document etc

passport/citizenship document etc

Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default passport/citizenship document etc

Hi all
I take my oath this Wednesday!!!! yayay
Could anyone tell me how long it will be before I receive my passport/documents etc, as i want to head to the US on the TN1
Thanks guys!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:11 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport/citizenship document etc

Originally Posted by London7
Hi all
Could anyone tell me how long it will be before I receive my passport/documents etc, as i want to head to the US on the TN1
Thanks guys!
I enjoyed the oath ceremony. It was only a couple of weeks til our citizenship cards came through. I was the first person in my family to swear alligence to the crown!

Enjoy mate.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:15 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Thanks guys!
It rather depends. Timing varies. I had my card two hours after showing up for the test.

You won't get a passport until you apply for one. Application is quicker if you do it in person. I seem to recall that filling out the passport application took a while. You should start on it straight away.

PS: the application form refers to a Certificate of Canadian Citzenship. They mean the card, not the document you get when you swear the oath that is called the Certificate of Canadian Citzenship.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Application is quicker if you do it in person.
I think that's the only way, or it seemed to be on the forms I used recently (non simplified form for renewal as last passport issued outside of Canada). I got my passport mailed less than a week after appearing at the Windsor office, pleasant surprise indeed!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think that's the only way, or it seemed to be on the forms I used recently (non simplified form for renewal as last passport issued outside of Canada). I got my passport mailed less than a week after appearing at the Windsor office, pleasant surprise indeed!
You can apply by mail. It is reckoned to take longer, though, much longer if you don't supply the right documents or the photos aren't up to snuff.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You can apply by mail. It is reckoned to take longer, though, much longer if you don't supply the right documents or the photos aren't up to snuff.
You're right, I didn't read it properly - all that jumped out from the instruction page for me was "DO NOT MAIL" whilst scanning the list of local passport offices. I see now that's because it's done centrally, not because you have to appear in person. Still, unless you live in the back of beyond, appearing in person is the only way to go - faster like you say, and you get your docs/old passport back on the spot.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:02 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Thanks guys!
You receive your citizenship card immediately. You don't get your passport until you apply for it. The application form takes awhile to complete - I had mine all done, photos taken etc, all ready to go before the swearing-in ceremony. Then I drove to the passport office, waited in line for over an hour, put in my application and got my passport two weeks later.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Photos are the trickiest bit of the passport process (assuming you have a suitable guarantor lined up), especially for kids. They have very exacting standards.

I got PPs for the wife and kids in less than 2 hours last year, but thats was exceptional circumstances. It was an advantage to be there in person as the kids pictures were rejected twice, despite being guaranteed by the taker as up to the necessary standards. Would have been a royal pain in the arse if doing it by mail.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Photos are the trickiest bit of the passport process (assuming you have a suitable guarantor lined up), especially for kids. They have very exacting standards.

I got PPs for the wife and kids in less than 2 hours last year, but thats was exceptional circumstances. It was an advantage to be there in person as the kids pictures were rejected twice, despite being guaranteed by the taker as up to the necessary standards. Would have been a royal pain in the arse if doing it by mail.
Yup. I saw people turned away at the passport office in Ottawa because the photos weren't right.