passport

Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Deb.3 is on a distinguished road
Default passport

Hi all, we land April 2nd for our PR and my daughter 's passport expires on the 3rd sept '14 ,will this cause any problems.? as it will only be valid for 5 mths . Any info would be appreciated thanks
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport

We were in a similar position when we came over 4 years ago. We renewed our passports before we left the UK - at that time you could carry forward up to 9 months from your old passport, so you didn't really miss out anyway - and it was one less thing to worry about in our first few months.
Also I think it's quite a bit cheaper to renew whilst still living in the UK and you don't have to worry about your new passport crossing the Atlantic by itself!
Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, do it before you move as it will be cheaper and also takes the stress out of the equation
Old Feb 8th 2014, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replys , but it was more about the time left on her passport and if that will cause any problems , when we land for our PR s.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

i don' t think it will cause problems.

But if I were you, as you can add on the extra time anyway, I would def renew in th uk. Your renewal will be cheaper, the photos will be acceptable, the post will be quicker.

Ive just renewed here. The postage was $20 tracked to the uk. Costco dont do off white backgrounds, so that was a specialized job and the cost was £ 147 for the passport. In the uk the fee is £70 ish.

The last thing I'd want to be doing is landing in a foreign country wit limited time on a passport. The us border may not let you in with less than 3 or 6 months remaining (cant remember which) so no us shopping either.

HTH
Old Feb 8th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
The last thing I'd want to be doing is landing in a foreign country wit limited time on a passport. The us border may not let you in with less than 3 or 6 months remaining (cant remember which) so no us shopping either.
HTH
Not true. The passport just needs to be valid for the duration of the visit.

Travel to USA:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

Travel to Canada:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 8th 2014 at 8:33 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you'd have problems, but I would also recommend renewing before you leave. They tack up to 9 months extra on to a renewal if you do it before expiry too, so you wouldn't lose any time on it, but you'd get it a lot quicker and cheaper, and with less hassle doing it before you go.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all will look into it further