Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passing the B.C Driving Test

Passing the B.C Driving Test

Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Lancashire Lad will become famous soon enough
Default Passing the B.C Driving Test

Just passed my B.C Driving Test this morning. What a relief...
Passed the theory test a few weeks ago but the driving instructor stumped me before we even set off my asking me to show him the emergency hand signals (completely forgot what the right turn was - doh!). Anyway rest of the test went fine and after an hour of sweaty palms i got my B.C. driving licence (and more importantly got my UK licence back - which they keep if you fail!).

If anybody needs any advice or tips i have been through the process and have the examiners score sheet results which shows what they assess. I did an un-scheduled test in Victoria i.e. you just queue up at the centre first thing in the morning and wait for a vacant spot (about a 2 hour wait).

Good luck to anyone who needs to take the test, and remember - shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passing the B.C Driving Test

Originally Posted by Lancashire Lad
Passed the theory test a few weeks ago but the driving instructor stumped me before we even set off my asking me to show him the emergency hand signals (completely forgot what the right turn was - doh!). Anyway rest of the test went fine and after an hour of sweaty palms i got my B.C. driving licence (and more importantly got my UK licence back - which they keep if you fail!).

If anybody needs any advice or tips i have been through the process and have the examiners score sheet results which shows what they assess. I did an un-scheduled test in Victoria i.e. you just queue up at the centre first thing in the morning and wait for a vacant spot (about a 2 hour wait).

Good luck to anyone who needs to take the test, and remember - shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check.

Hi
Congrats,
We were over the moon when we passed ours,seemed like the first hurdle was over.
chgeers
jerry
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

congratulations! quite a few of us have been doing the licencing thing very recently......and you were lucky..in Kelowna ( the Okanagan region of BC) i had a 6-7 week wait till i could do my on road drivers test!

Now i am preparing for my unrestricted class 4 licence! am i a glutten for punishment or what
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Another box ticked. I will drive more carefully next time I am in Victoria
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:26 am

johanne302 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lancashire Lad

Many congratulations. My husband and I are hoping to land in Vancouver in Sept/Oct and the first thing we need to do is pass our BC driving test. Is it true that if you use an automatic car for the test you can only drive an automatic car? I'd much prefer a gear stick. Any advice would be great.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

karen 1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ihope you dont mind me asking but could you please give my hubby some advise as we are going in september and he hasnt had a driving test since he was 17 and he is 37 now.I hope you can help thanks.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We're in BC - Kelowna - right now, and OH has his test in three weeks, so if there's any way you can get us a copy of the assessment, we'd be mighty grateful.
Thanks
Sharon
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:17 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johanne302
Is it true that if you use an automatic car for the test you can only drive an automatic car?
No.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johanne302
Hi Lancashire Lad

Many congratulations. My husband and I are hoping to land in Vancouver in Sept/Oct and the first thing we need to do is pass our BC driving test. Is it true that if you use an automatic car for the test you can only drive an automatic car? I'd much prefer a gear stick. Any advice would be great.
haven't heard that..i just did mine and there was no mention whatsoever about it..
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karen 1972
Ihope you dont mind me asking but could you please give my hubby some advise as we are going in september and he hasnt had a driving test since he was 17 and he is 37 now.I hope you can help thanks.
hope i am not cutting in here! ...........

for me the biggest hurdle was getting used to the driving on the other side of the ride...back in Australia i even drove buses etc...and through the heart of the capital city in peak hr traffic..so i am not a scaredy cat driver. however i was completely out of my element for driving on the other side of the road.....some things i would suggest is...go to ICBC and get the road drivers manual...~.. drive as much as possible...to get used to it.....also..many are taking a one hr or so ..driving trip with a driving school b4 there actual driving test..to just fine tune some things to ensure they pass. if you dont' pass...then you have to give up your current licence and you receive a Learners permit. means you cannot drive anywhere on your own. you are able to be retested a week later however.

once you pass you get your current licence back. Also before you do the road test you have to sit for a knowledge test!( so study that book )

i wasn't all that impressed when i first heard i had to go through all this myself. however in the long run i can see it has been better for me and the (canadian people) but also i get to keep my australian licence! which is a big bonus as it is a bus licence and last thing i want to do is go through all that again back in Oz.~ i am now preparing for my bus licence here! am i enjoying that! no way.....
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Well done mate.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:45 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Any tips greatly received. Someone wrongly told us that we didn't need to take a test so we have to get it sorted pretty quick.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:57 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

The theory test is pretty straight forward - read the Roadsense book they give you and you'll pass. For practise, the richmond library website has a good bank of questions as does the icbc site.

For the actual driving test the 3 basic things they'll look for are shoulder check, complete stop at stop sign, speed in school zones. Unless you break one of these, or do something really stupid, they'll pass you. I would recommend driving round the test area to see where the school zones are.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob_999
or do something really stupid, they'll pass you.
I resemble that remark! Stupid pedestrians unmarked crosswalks blah blah blah. Anyway, next time I'm taking it at what will hopefully be a less busy time; my first test was from 3:30 - 4:30 and there was a lot more traffic around then there had been while I was doing my lessons.

Also, it makes sense to get as much practice in those first three months as you can legally hire and drive a car. We didn't do this of course. Fortunately for me, the Mrs is a lot less hopeless at driving.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

glenfiddich is on a distinguished road

My UK partner will need to get his licence sorted soon. Do you take the computer knowledge test and the road test on the same day? Do you have to have some weeks in between the knowlege and road test? If you have a UK licence can you do both knowlege and road on the same day? Thanks for any suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.