Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:07 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all
Default Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

We are starting to look at short-term rentals in Toronto. Can anyone recommend areas that are particularly nice and advise us of areas to avoid?

One apartment is apparently "just south of the Old Mill Subway Station in the prestigious Kingsway neighbourhood of Toronto". Is this an ok area?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

Originally Posted by gmb
We are starting to look at short-term rentals in Toronto. Can anyone recommend areas that are particularly nice and advise us of areas to avoid?

One apartment is apparently "just south of the Old Mill Subway Station in the prestigious Kingsway neighbourhood of Toronto". Is this an ok area?

Thanks.
That area is fine in a rather conservative suburbanish manner.

Avoid: Rexdale, Parkdale, the numbered streets of Etobicoke.

Get the exact address and check back: Scarborough.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmb

Thanks.
Yup. That's fine.

Avoid most of Scarborough, most of Etobicoke, Jane-Finch: stick to places on the metro for preference.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Avoid: the numbered streets of Etobicoke.
I lived just off a numbered street in Etobicoke from 1992-1994 and they are fine. South of Lakeshore Blvd, is usually nicer than north of it.

Part of the old City of York along Eglinton Avenue, Jane/Finch, parts of Malvern, and any areas with high concentrations of low income housing are usually pretty clear cut areas you would want to avoid.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
I lived just off a numbered street in Etobicoke from 1992-1994 and they are fine. South of Lakeshore Blvd, is usually nicer than north of it.
92? When the hooker motels were still there?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

92? When the hooker motels were still there?
No a lot further west almost at the Mississauga boundary....on Lake Promenade....The hooker motels were being replaced by high end condos when I lived there.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmb

Thanks.
What are you looking for?
Areas to look at might differ depending on your need for a house or apartment, schools and where work will be and if you drive etc.

A few more details and we'll be able to help more.

Rob
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Avoid most of Scarborough
What's wrong with Scarborough? Oh I forgot, it's also known as Scarberia (as in Siberia), and Scarlem (as in Harlem) because no-one wants to live here and it's seen as a ghetto neighbourhood.

Scarborough extends from Victoria Park Avenue in the West of Scarborough to Rouge Valley in the East,and up to Steeles Ave in the North. I'm proud to live in Scarborough, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Prices are much more reasonable here. I work in Mississauga and even in rush hour I get to work in less than an hour.

North York doesn't get tarred as a bad place to live just because Jane and Finch has a bad reputation.

But you did say most of Scarborough.

stick to places on the metro for preference.
I agree. Then you have the perfect excuse not to buy a vehicle with which to visit some of the beautiful towns and villages outside of Toronto.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I work in Mississauga and even in rush hour I get to work in less than an hour.

Ahem. From downtown I can't get to the dealership where I have the car serviced, Cedarbrae VW, in an hour. Even if you live at Vic Park and the 401 and work at the 401 and 427 an hour is good going; that's probably 20 miles.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:35 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem. From downtown I can't get to the dealership where I have the car serviced, Cedarbrae VW, in an hour. Even if you live at Vic Park and the 401 and work at the 401 and 427 an hour is good going; that's probably 20 miles.
I use TTC to get downtown.

I live Markham Rd and Lawrence (not far from Cedarbrae VW) and use 401 to get to the 410. Once I get past Yonge St not a lot of traffic until just past Islington.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
What's wrong with Scarborough? Oh I forgot, it's also known as Scarberia (as in Siberia), and Scarlem (as in Harlem) because no-one wants to live here and it's seen as a ghetto neighbourhood.

No, it's not that. It's just that it's packed with bleeding Arsenal supporters.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:25 am
Account Closed

No, it's not that. It's just that it's packed with bleeding Arsenal supporters.
Good point.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:01 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
What are you looking for?
Areas to look at might differ depending on your need for a house or apartment, schools and where work will be and if you drive etc.

A few more details and we'll be able to help more.

Rob
Thank you, everyone, for your replies - very useful.

Rob, my husband will be working in Toronto. We are looking for a place to rent for the first month or so, probably in Toronto. We have 2 teenage sons, so need at least 2 bedrooms, but preferably 3. Don't need schools, don't mind if it is an apartment or a house, and we will be looking for a car as soon as we arrive but somewhere near public transport would be an advantage. We will look at longer term house rentals after we arrive (most likely outside of Toronto), but for the moment I just need to find something short-term that I can book from here.

Thanks again,
gmb
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by gmb
Thank you, everyone, for your replies - very useful.

Rob, my husband will be working in Toronto. We are looking for a place to rent for the first month or so, probably in Toronto. We have 2 teenage sons, so need at least 2 bedrooms, but preferably 3. Don't need schools, don't mind if it is an apartment or a house, and we will be looking for a car as soon as we arrive but somewhere near public transport would be an advantage. We will look at longer term house rentals after we arrive (most likely outside of Toronto), but for the moment I just need to find something short-term that I can book from here.

Thanks again,
gmb
The problem with a house is that you're likely to have to sign a lease for a year. Still, worse things could happen than being in a commutable location for a year while getting established. Nice enough areas with lots of rentals: Beach, High Park, Yonge and Eglinton/Davisville. All depends on money, of course.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:07 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

The problem with a house is that you're likely to have to sign a lease for a year. Still, worse things could happen than being in a commutable location for a year while getting established. Nice enough areas with lots of rentals: Beach, High Park, Yonge and Eglinton/Davisville. All depends on money, of course.
Thanks. I will look out for those areas in the rental adverts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.