British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Which parts of Toronto to avoid? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/parts-toronto-avoid-511233/)

gmb Feb 2nd 2008 9:07 pm

Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

We are starting to look at short-term rentals in Toronto. Can anyone recommend areas that are particularly nice and advise us of areas to avoid?

One apartment is apparently "just south of the Old Mill Subway Station in the prestigious Kingsway neighbourhood of Toronto". Is this an ok area?

Thanks.

dbd33 Feb 2nd 2008 9:12 pm

Re: Which parts of Toronto to avoid?

Originally Posted by gmb (Post 5874952)
We are starting to look at short-term rentals in Toronto. Can anyone recommend areas that are particularly nice and advise us of areas to avoid?

One apartment is apparently "just south of the Old Mill Subway Station in the prestigious Kingsway neighbourhood of Toronto". Is this an ok area?

Thanks.

That area is fine in a rather conservative suburbanish manner.

Avoid: Rexdale, Parkdale, the numbered streets of Etobicoke.

Get the exact address and check back: Scarborough.

Novocastrian Feb 2nd 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks.

Yup. That's fine.

Avoid most of Scarborough, most of Etobicoke, Jane-Finch: stick to places on the metro for preference.

clynnog Feb 2nd 2008 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5874977)
Avoid: the numbered streets of Etobicoke.

I lived just off a numbered street in Etobicoke from 1992-1994 and they are fine. South of Lakeshore Blvd, is usually nicer than north of it.

Part of the old City of York along Eglinton Avenue, Jane/Finch, parts of Malvern, and any areas with high concentrations of low income housing are usually pretty clear cut areas you would want to avoid.

dbd33 Feb 2nd 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 5874998)
I lived just off a numbered street in Etobicoke from 1992-1994 and they are fine. South of Lakeshore Blvd, is usually nicer than north of it.

92? When the hooker motels were still there?

clynnog Feb 2nd 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5875055)
92? When the hooker motels were still there?

No a lot further west almost at the Mississauga boundary....on Lake Promenade....The hooker motels were being replaced by high end condos when I lived there.

Rob4BC Feb 2nd 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks.

What are you looking for?
Areas to look at might differ depending on your need for a house or apartment, schools and where work will be and if you drive etc.

A few more details and we'll be able to help more.

Rob;)

DaveLovesDee Feb 3rd 2008 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5874986)
Avoid most of Scarborough

What's wrong with Scarborough? Oh I forgot, it's also known as Scarberia (as in Siberia), and Scarlem (as in Harlem) because no-one wants to live here and it's seen as a ghetto neighbourhood.

Scarborough extends from Victoria Park Avenue in the West of Scarborough to Rouge Valley in the East,and up to Steeles Ave in the North. I'm proud to live in Scarborough, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Prices are much more reasonable here. I work in Mississauga and even in rush hour I get to work in less than an hour.

North York doesn't get tarred as a bad place to live just because Jane and Finch has a bad reputation.

But you did say most of Scarborough. :p

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5874986)
stick to places on the metro for preference.

I agree. Then you have the perfect excuse not to buy a vehicle with which to visit some of the beautiful towns and villages outside of Toronto. :rofl:

dbd33 Feb 3rd 2008 1:18 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 5875690)
I work in Mississauga and even in rush hour I get to work in less than an hour.

Ahem. From downtown I can't get to the dealership where I have the car serviced, Cedarbrae VW, in an hour. Even if you live at Vic Park and the 401 and work at the 401 and 427 an hour is good going; that's probably 20 miles.

DaveLovesDee Feb 3rd 2008 1:35 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5875921)
Ahem. From downtown I can't get to the dealership where I have the car serviced, Cedarbrae VW, in an hour. Even if you live at Vic Park and the 401 and work at the 401 and 427 an hour is good going; that's probably 20 miles.

I use TTC to get downtown.

I live Markham Rd and Lawrence (not far from Cedarbrae VW) and use 401 to get to the 410. Once I get past Yonge St not a lot of traffic until just past Islington.

Novocastrian Feb 3rd 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 5875690)
What's wrong with Scarborough? Oh I forgot, it's also known as Scarberia (as in Siberia), and Scarlem (as in Harlem) because no-one wants to live here and it's seen as a ghetto neighbourhood.

No, it's not that. It's just that it's packed with bleeding Arsenal supporters.

DaveLovesDee Feb 3rd 2008 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5876064)
No, it's not that. It's just that it's packed with bleeding Arsenal supporters.

Good point. :D:D:D

gmb Feb 3rd 2008 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rob4BC (Post 5875441)
What are you looking for?
Areas to look at might differ depending on your need for a house or apartment, schools and where work will be and if you drive etc.

A few more details and we'll be able to help more.

Rob;)

Thank you, everyone, for your replies - very useful.

Rob, my husband will be working in Toronto. We are looking for a place to rent for the first month or so, probably in Toronto. We have 2 teenage sons, so need at least 2 bedrooms, but preferably 3. Don't need schools, don't mind if it is an apartment or a house, and we will be looking for a car as soon as we arrive but somewhere near public transport would be an advantage. We will look at longer term house rentals after we arrive (most likely outside of Toronto), but for the moment I just need to find something short-term that I can book from here.

Thanks again,
gmb

dbd33 Feb 3rd 2008 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by gmb (Post 5878432)
Thank you, everyone, for your replies - very useful.

Rob, my husband will be working in Toronto. We are looking for a place to rent for the first month or so, probably in Toronto. We have 2 teenage sons, so need at least 2 bedrooms, but preferably 3. Don't need schools, don't mind if it is an apartment or a house, and we will be looking for a car as soon as we arrive but somewhere near public transport would be an advantage. We will look at longer term house rentals after we arrive (most likely outside of Toronto), but for the moment I just need to find something short-term that I can book from here.

Thanks again,
gmb

The problem with a house is that you're likely to have to sign a lease for a year. Still, worse things could happen than being in a commutable location for a year while getting established. Nice enough areas with lots of rentals: Beach, High Park, Yonge and Eglinton/Davisville. All depends on money, of course.

gmb Feb 3rd 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5878453)
The problem with a house is that you're likely to have to sign a lease for a year. Still, worse things could happen than being in a commutable location for a year while getting established. Nice enough areas with lots of rentals: Beach, High Park, Yonge and Eglinton/Davisville. All depends on money, of course.

Thanks. I will look out for those areas in the rental adverts.

Howard1944 Feb 4th 2008 7:54 pm

Hook, I would not live in your area on a bet,and I know that area, probably better than you.
Cedarbrae Grad, lived off Markham, S of Lawrence, Blakemanor, sister on Brimorton, dangerous area.

It used to be a good area.

Pockets around park are O.K, but I wouldn't buy there on a bet.

Gremmie Feb 4th 2008 11:27 pm

All of it....nuff said:p

DaveLovesDee Feb 6th 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944 (Post 5884299)
Hook, I would not live in your area on a bet,and I know that area, probably better than you.
Cedarbrae Grad, lived off Markham, S of Lawrence, Blakemanor, sister on Brimorton, dangerous area.

It used to be a good area.

Pockets around park are O.K, but I wouldn't buy there on a bet.

I've only been here 15months so I'm very sure you know the area much better than I do. We're only renting for now but looks like mortgage has been approved so will be deciding where to buy soon. 16yr old still in school and wants to do another year after this one, so not really wanting to move too far. Considering Starspray as an option though as TTC-able and there's a Go Station nearby.

dbd33 Feb 6th 2008 4:21 pm

My former sister in common law (!) lives in that area. I don't remember the name of the street but it's behind the Cedarbrae Mall one block south and west. It's metro housing and the rent is geared to income. It suits her because she doesn't have much declared income, she mostly lives by renting the floor to fellow Newfies who come up and work the weeks for their stamp each summer, and so she doesn't pay much rent. That building, at least, seems pretty rough to me, there were always crack dealers in the stairwells and I often heard gunshots while over there. I'd think twice about making a long term commitment to the neighbourhood.

Oakvillian Feb 6th 2008 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5894838)
My former sister in common law (!) lives in that area. I don't remember the name of the street but it's behind the Cedarbrae Mall one block south and west. It's metro housing and the rent is geared to income. It suits her because she doesn't have much declared income, she mostly lives by renting the floor to fellow Newfies who come up and work the weeks for their stamp each summer, and so she doesn't pay much rent. That building, at least, seems pretty rough to me, there were always crack dealers in the stairwells and I often heard gunshots while over there. I'd think twice about making a long term commitment to the neighbourhood.

So you're agreeing with Howard?
<falls of chair in amazement>

dbd33 Feb 6th 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 5894939)

I couldn't help myself.

macadian Feb 6th 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 5885200)
All of it....nuff said:p

Hear hear!:thumbsup: in spades!

Seriously, to visit Toronto's OK. I guess it really depends on what your individual requirements are re work etc. Areas I liked teneded to be pretty expensive (go figure) but even then, I dislike ALL cities so my light hearted response above is from a position of not HAVING to live in the city anymore, and extremely grateful for that I am.

Best of luck with your search

Howard1944 Feb 6th 2008 5:41 pm

The City of Toronto in all its' wisdom poiceeded to build high rise complexes for Government housing and located many along the Markham -401 strip and along Lawrence east.

The area used to be great, Cedarbrae was a good School, lots of nice affordable bungalows, the Mall was a good place to shop.

I looked after Cedarbrook Park while going to Uni, it was a good area, Punch Imlach, one of the Leafs most famous coaches lived in the area, his son was my friend.

Now, it is dangerous, My Sister refuses to leave, but she has two Dogs , each of whom weigh well over 70 pounds, ShepardxMastiffs, She sleeps easier that way.

Pretty Flowers Feb 6th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5874977)
That area is fine in a rather conservative suburbanish manner.

Avoid: Rexdale, Parkdale, the numbered streets of Etobicoke.

Get the exact address and check back: Scarborough.

Parts of Parkdale aren't that bad though... I have friends who live there, and it's gently gentrifying...

Specifically the bits North and South of Queen and West of Landsdown...

dbd33 Feb 6th 2008 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand (Post 5895239)
Parts of Parkdale aren't that bad though... I have friends who live there, and it's gently gentrifying...

Specifically the bits North and South of Queen and West of Landsdown...

Oh sure, there are passable streets everywhere, I was just trying to give a general idea. The really dodgy bits, Queen/Sherbourne, Dundas/Sherbourne, Regent Park aren't advertised as that anyway.

Bill_S Feb 6th 2008 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 5894939)

Actually, I agree with this too. There's no way I'd want to live near Cedarbrae Mall these days.

montreal mike Feb 7th 2008 2:35 am

I am in no position to offer any advice on safe places in Toronto but as a general comment I would say that some areas in major cities will, over a couple of generations, inevitably fall into decline.

Most often what keeps an area safe is high home prices/rentals. Pure economics (translation: lack of affordability for most) tends to keep the riif raff and criminal element from moving in.