Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

part-time and professional, is it likely/possible?

part-time and professional, is it likely/possible?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default part-time and professional, is it likely/possible?

I wondered what the general attitudes to part-time workers in the professions is? If the job category is one in high demand are employers likely to consider part-timers or flexible workers?

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: part-time and professional, is it likely/possible?

Originally Posted by gryphea
I wondered what the general attitudes to part-time workers in the professions is? If the job category is one in high demand are employers likely to consider part-timers or flexible workers?

Thanks
Can you define part-time? Do you mean less hours per week? or less weeks per year?
As you are coming to Calgary (area) I would say a lot of employers would be willing to consider flexible working for sure.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Can you define part-time? Do you mean less hours per week? or less weeks per year?
As you are coming to Calgary (area) I would say a lot of employers would be willing to consider flexible working for sure.
Probably a combination of both less hours and less weeks.

Hubby had phone interview with Brit in Clagary last night. They are desperate to recruit- it all looks pretty positive and he also thought I would get part-time work - I am an engineering geologist and construction is booming

Thanks

Gryphea
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Probably a combination of both less hours and less weeks.

Hubby had phone interview with Brit in Clagary last night. They are desperate to recruit- it all looks pretty positive and he also thought I would get part-time work - I am an engineering geologist and construction is booming

Thanks

Gryphea
I should think companies are flexible enough to let you work part time.
Even nursing is gradually adopting flexible and self scheduling hours.
No harm asking the company .Usually it is the other way round that
people grumbled about not getting full time position because they
cannot afford to work part time and not getting benefits.
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yoong
I should think companies are flexible enough to let you work part time.
Even nursing is gradually adopting flexible and self scheduling hours.
No harm asking the company .Usually it is the other way round that
people grumbled about not getting full time position because they
cannot afford to work part time and not getting benefits.
Hope that helps.
Yoong

Thanks