Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Parents visiting

Parents visiting

Old Oct 12th 2021, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents visiting

Hi all been a long time since posting on here but just wanted to see if anyone has been through this situation or could offer help or insight.

my parents are wanting to visit me and my family in Calgary and stay for over Xmas and return to the UK in January. The only thing is they aren’t vaccinated. They are fine with having to quarantine with us at home, we haven’t seen them for over a year.

just wanted to know what tests they would have to have and all that stuff. I’ve looked on government of Canada website and says they can visit for reunification and says they would have to quarantine. But mentions nothing about having to be double vaccinated. My dad is a Canadian citizen but hasn’t renewed his Canadian passport in over 10 years. My
mother has just a UK passport.

thanks for any help in advance.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents visiting

Have you seen this page?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ons/exemptions

From what you've said, if they're not vaccinated then they'll need to prove that they are staying for more than 15 days, prove their relationship to you (and that you are a PR/citizen), they'll need a quarantine plan (they won't be able to stay with you for this), a negative test within 72 hours of entering Canada, register in advance for their arrival test, complete the ArriveCAN info, and then I think another test 8 days after arriving. I think it's the same whether a citizen or not, so the same for both parents, but the above link will tell you for sure.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 12th 2021 at 8:29 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 11:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think they have to be vaccinated as from the end of October all passengers flying from Canadian airports have to be double vaccinated

Theres also the ESTA thing or whatever that's called in Canada. Your mum will need that but as your Dad is Canadian he has to have a Canadian passport.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 11:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do bear in mind that Canadian Citizens are required to travel / enter Canada on a Canadian Passport.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html
Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bow21
Hi all been a long time since posting on here but just wanted to see if anyone has been through this situation or could offer help or insight.

my parents are wanting to visit me and my family in Calgary and stay for over Xmas and return to the UK in January. The only thing is they aren’t vaccinated. They are fine with having to quarantine with us at home, we haven’t seen them for over a year.

just wanted to know what tests they would have to have and all that stuff. I’ve looked on government of Canada website and says they can visit for reunification and says they would have to quarantine. But mentions nothing about having to be double vaccinated. My dad is a Canadian citizen but hasn’t renewed his Canadian passport in over 10 years. My
mother has just a UK passport.

thanks for any help in advance.
Why don't they just get vaccinated?
Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Bow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone that’s a great help.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 9:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bow21
Thanks everyone that’s a great help.
No problem. Most of it is fine, the testing etc will be costly but not too onerous, but the key thing is noting that they can't quarantine in accommodation shared with a family (i.e. with you as you mentioned in your first post), so they will need to spend the first couple of weeks in a hotel and not see you. There's also a risk they may be refused entry, as they need to prove they come under the exemption for family reunification and if the border officer doesn't agree they can be refused.

In all honesty, it would be much easier/cheaper if you could travel to see them in the UK? Assuming you're vaccinated of course.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do bear in mind that Canadian Citizens are required to travel / enter Canada on a Canadian Passport.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html
+1, that's a good catch, I hadn't spotted that in the first post.

Bow21, your father will need to get his passport renewal app in asap, if he wants to travel early December so that he can spend Xmas with you.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 3:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No problem. Most of it is fine, the testing etc will be costly but not too onerous, but the key thing is noting that they can't quarantine in accommodation shared with a family (i.e. with you as you mentioned in your first post), so they will need to spend the first couple of weeks in a hotel and not see you. There's also a risk they may be refused entry, as they need to prove they come under the exemption for family reunification and if the border officer doesn't agree they can be refused.

In all honesty, it would be much easier/cheaper if you could travel to see them in the UK? Assuming you're vaccinated of course.
Originally Posted by bats
I think they have to be vaccinated as from the end of October all passengers flying from Canadian airports have to be double vaccinated

Theres also the ESTA thing or whatever that's called in Canada. Your mum will need that but as your Dad is Canadian he has to have a Canadian passport.
I'd say the most important thing is that they won't be won't be allowed on a plane leaving a Canadian airport if they aren't vaccinated, so they not be allowed in in the first place.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'd say the most important thing is that they won't be won't be allowed on a plane leaving a Canadian airport if they aren't vaccinated, so they not be allowed in in the first place.
They are allowed in if unvaccinated, but only under specific circumstances. Most tourists wouldn't be, but they'd be coming under the 'family reunification' exemption.

Unless there's another rule I've missed that you're referring to?
Old Oct 13th 2021, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

They are allowed in if unvaccinated, but only under specific circumstances. Most tourists wouldn't be, but they'd be coming under the 'family reunification' exemption.

Bats is right in saying that passengers have to be double vaccinated AND show a vaccination "passport" for travel domestically and internationally from Canada airports.

So how will the parents be allowed to leave, even if they are able to enter???

It would be so much easier if they were vaccinated!
Old Oct 13th 2021, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by scilly
Bats is right in saying that passengers have to be double vaccinated AND show a vaccination "passport" for travel domestically and internationally from Canada airports.

It really would, but I assume there are medical reasons as to why they can't be vaccinated.

If they're allowing non-vaccinated people in (albeit with a lot of extra cost and hassle), then it's crazy they won't let them leave! Not sure how they can enforce that if it's non-residents but who knows. Definitely something else for the OP to look in to.

Old Oct 13th 2021, 6:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

It really would, but I assume there are medical reasons as to why they can't be vaccinated.

If they're allowing non-vaccinated people in (albeit with a lot of extra cost and hassle), then it's crazy they won't let them leave! Not sure how they can enforce that if it's non-residents but who knows. Definitely something else for the OP to look in to.
Travel from 30th October until 30th November can be allowed with a negative test, however, after 30th November there is legislation pending to enforce vaccine passport requirements for travel within and out of Canada. Regardless, there will be exemptions to this requirement but the govt haven't disclosed them as yet.

See: https://www.thelawyersdaily.ca/articles/30421
and official: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...ravellers.html
Effective October 30, air passengers departing from Canadian airports, travellers on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains, and travellers on non-essential passenger vessels on voyages of 24 hours or more, such as cruise ships, will need to be vaccinated.

Effective October 30, travellers will need to be fully vaccinated in order to board. Specifically, the vaccination requirement will apply to all travellers 12 years of age and older who are:
  • Air passengers flying on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from airports in Canada
  • Rail passengers on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
  • Marine passengers on non-essential passenger vessels, such as cruise ships, on voyages of 24 hours or more

There will be exemptions but they haven't been announced yet

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 13th 2021 at 6:15 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Effective October 30, air passengers departing from Canadian airports, travellers on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains, and travellers on non-essential passenger vessels on voyages of 24 hours or more, such as cruise ships, will need to be vaccinated.
Interesting to see how this is phrased.

BC Ferries announced a few days ago that they had determined that they came under this new ruling, and therefore passengers needed to be vaccinated AND show vaccination passes (as they're called here in BC. Only one ferry route is definitely over 24 hours.
Old Oct 16th 2021, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The father is a Canadian citizen. Even if they weren't travelling to see their kids his wife would surely be allowed in because she is his wife, no?

As pointed out though he does need a Canadian passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.