Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For parents of teenagers in Uk and Canada

For parents of teenagers in Uk and Canada

Old May 19th 2005, 10:54 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default For parents of teenagers in Uk and Canada

I have been chatting to a few parents who like us are taking teenagers to Canada, and we have voiced our worries etc. My daughter chats to a few kids of some of this forums members already.
I realised that often they do not get a chance to ask questions voice concerns to others of the same age that may be doing the same.
So I set up a Yahoo group for them

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Teenbrits

If any of you have teenagers that might like to chat to others they might like to join. There are already a few joined some in UK and some in Canada.
it would be particularly nice if some more teeangers who are already in Canada would join to be able to relate their own experiences to those that will soon be going. Especially about schools , how they compare, making friends sport etc.

ALthough we all believe we are doing what we think is the best for them, in the end they often have no say in the matter.

My daughter loved the idea at first, then hated it when we took here over for first time. Now she cant wait to go back for good.

We took her to go and see what would be her highschool, once there she refused to go in. She said "Whats the point, if we come I will have no choice in the matter, so whether I like it or not is irrelevant!"

This really did make me think. She enjoys her chats with "Bananahammocks" daughter who is also going hopefully around the same time we will, and we hope she will have penfriends at least within Canada to talk to once we are there.

I have spent a lot of time looking at the school, colleges and University options she will have. Told her she can drive as soon as we get there ( albeit with me by her side) We've got the email address of a girl who will be living opposite us in Canada, and she is now keen to get over there and start her new life. So fingers crossed for the first few days at least she will not say "I'm bored can we go home!"
Old May 19th 2005, 1:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For parents of teenagers in Uk and Canada

Originally Posted by gooding

Fabulous idea, gooding!
Old May 19th 2005, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Fabulous idea, gooding!
The same here, we are hoping to be in sk by sept, my 16 year old daughter cant wait, I've just got to get her to log in as she likes to " check it out first " on most things, I know the first question will be "where are the best clothes shops" lol
Pat
Old May 19th 2005, 7:39 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Fabulous idea, gooding!
I agree!
Old May 19th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea!

I'm hoping my son will join. He is a teenager next month but by the time we get to Canada he could be middle aged! Lol.

Thanks.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:06 am
Get me out of here

suziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant future

Brilliant idea.

Sue
Old May 20th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

hi

I will sort my kids out tonight, lol I know one of them had a look but was alittle nervous about joining......
Cool idea

Rosie
Old May 20th 2005, 8:31 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Tell him not to be.
It is not like a chat room, I am not keen on those, although there is a facility on there for them to chat. My daughter is a very funny happy child who loves talking to people. She is in middle of GCSE's at the present so does not have a lot of time for the computer. Amazingly, as she is usually always there. I do moderate the site without being too nosey, but they have to join to ensure that we only get kids on the site, and Lisa's attitude to going has changed since talking to other. She sees it as an opportunity of a lifetime that her friends are envious.

QUOTE=RodRos&Co.]hi

I will sort my kids out tonight, lol I know one of them had a look but was alittle nervous about joining......
Cool idea

Rosie[/QUOTE]
Old May 20th 2005, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Ron&Sharron is an unknown quantity at this point

What a brilliant idea.

I've no doubt my (shy) 15 year old son will have a look later. Hopefully he'll get some answers to his constant questions that we can't answer.

Thanks for this.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

I could if wished go one better, i have my own website and forum, and when i initialy set it up i created a forum for the younger members, but got no interest, its still i nits early stages, although i know its a truckers site, i could and would set up a seperate forum for the younger members if enough interest was generated, BUT if it was requested, i would like a few adults from here to monitor it and keep watch, and it would have a name like uktruckerstocanada.com/teenagers, i know the truckers thing may put people off, but this is not a web based forum, it is more user friendly, and all kinds of permissions can be set to keep the little rascals in order just a though, but then anyone can set a thing like this up, i am only offering because i have unlimited mysql databases, no i wont explain what they are.......... your thoughts......
Old May 20th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

Tell him not to be.
It is not like a chat room, I am not keen on those, although there is a facility on there for them to chat. My daughter is a very funny happy child who loves talking to people. She is in middle of GCSE's at the present so does not have a lot of time for the computer. Amazingly, as she is usually always there. I do moderate the site without being too nosey, but they have to join to ensure that we only get kids on the site, and Lisa's attitude to going has changed since talking to other. She sees it as an opportunity of a lifetime that her friends are envious.

QUOTE=RodRos&Co.]hi

Cool idea

Rosie
[/QUOTE]
my daughter is also in the middle of her GCSE's, my son is 13, they are not looking forward to going, but have realized it is going to happen so have sort of quietly accepted it, but all their friends think they are right lucky gits, i wonder why my kids dont see it that way ??
Old May 20th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Where in SK are you moving to Tobyjug?

I have friends who emigrated from near Banbury last Feb. Their son seems to have made the best adjustment of all three of them. Well, they all like it but as their son was 15 and went to school, he made lots and lots of friends very quickly. He also plays hockey and football and so he made friends on the school teams.

So far as I know they still like it.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Devon_Gang is an unknown quantity at this point

brilliant idea gooding and thank you!!

I will point my 13 yr old daughter in that direction over the weekend and hopefully she will join. she is 'okay, lets go for it then! but NOW!' she doesnt want to wait and is frightened that by the time we get there she will have gone off the idea :scared: (I think that it may be, that she is thinking there maybe a boyfriend in the picture in 12-18 mths time )
Kaz
Old May 21st 2005, 8:54 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devon_Gang
brilliant idea gooding and thank you!!

I will point my 13 yr old daughter in that direction over the weekend and hopefully she will join. she is 'okay, lets go for it then! but NOW!' she doesnt want to wait and is frightened that by the time we get there she will have gone off the idea :scared: (I think that it may be, that she is thinking there maybe a boyfriend in the picture in 12-18 mths time )
Kaz

That sounds all too familiar!!

My daughter left school yesterday (going back for GCSE's) and says that if we don't go soon she's worried that she will go to college, fall in love and want to stay here, at least by talking to goodings daughter she can get stuff off of her chest that she might not want to share with me and make a few more friends in the same boat

I think its a great idea
Old May 22nd 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

deborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura about

What a great Idea Hoping my youngest son will have a look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.