Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pal/ntsc converter

Pal/ntsc converter

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future
Default Pal/ntsc converter

I brought my playstation over and of course it doesnt work in the tv we have, has anyone brought one over and been able to plug it in, or know of a good product you can use???

I have a converter for my macbook so can watch movies using that, but i have playstation games and would be easier if i can watch dvds on that instead of my macbook.

Any help would be good, otherwise i will just have to send my playstation back to the uk and sell it.

Thanx
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pal/ntsc converter

Originally Posted by louiseeg
I brought my playstation over and of course it doesnt work in the tv we have, has anyone brought one over and been able to plug it in, or know of a good product you can use???

I have a converter for my macbook so can watch movies using that, but i have playstation games and would be easier if i can watch dvds on that instead of my macbook.

Any help would be good, otherwise i will just have to send my playstation back to the uk and sell it.

Thanx
Which model of Playstation? If it's a PS3 then a HDMI cable should work fine for you.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future

nope, sadly a ps 2. I brought it as my husband has the cable so we could connect my one to the wall using his cable. its somethign to do with the power or something from our ps2 to canadas ps2 or something (well thats what i kinda found out from reading online, but am very confused)

is there anything you know of for ps2? Would it be a good idea then to get a ps3 from the uk? (i know that seems kinda dumb really)
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louiseeg
nope, sadly a ps 2. I brought it as my husband has the cable so we could connect my one to the wall using his cable. its somethign to do with the power or something from our ps2 to canadas ps2 or something (well thats what i kinda found out from reading online, but am very confused)

is there anything you know of for ps2? Would it be a good idea then to get a ps3 from the uk? (i know that seems kinda dumb really)
The best bet is to find the nearest skip and deposit the PS2 and treat yourself to a new PS3 in Canada.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:54 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The best bet is to find the nearest skip and deposit the PS2 and treat yourself to a new PS3 in Canada.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

New PlayStation 3 Move 320 GB Bundle supposedly released September 17th. $474.99 at Costco.

Or the older PlayStation 3 160 GB $374.99
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a fast PC, you could also try the Playstation 2 emulators that are available on the web. Not all games work, but the more popular ones should.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

+1

PAL/NTSC converters are professional bits of gear and not at all cheap - or worthwhile for changing the video signal on a PS2.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:46 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Which model of Playstation? If it's a PS3 then a HDMI cable should work fine for you.
Would a HDMI cable without a converter work for a Pal Wii and NTSC tv?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The composite a/v cable included with the PS2 should work fine. If the issue is power, then you can likely purchase a replacement power adaptor from somewhere like Deal Extreme however as others have said it might not be worth the hassle.

I actually got a PS2 after I moved here, it's got a great gaming library. Who's up for some Shadow of the Colossus?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
Would a HDMI cable without a converter work for a Pal Wii and NTSC tv?
Our Blu-Ray player plays PAL DVDs over HDMI on our TV, but I don't know whether it's doing some sneaky conversion along the way.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Our Blu-Ray player plays PAL DVDs over HDMI on our TV, but I don't know whether it's doing some sneaky conversion along the way.
DVD's is digital innit.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
DVD's is digital innit.
It's still PAL or NTSC, and HDMI is digital so all you pass over it is digital data.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
It's still PAL or NTSC, and HDMI is digital so all you pass over it is digital data.
To be very pedantic:

The video on a DVD might be encoded to a pal (or ntsc) equivalent resolution, but the actual format used will (most likely) be mpeg-2. It won't really be pal or ntsc as these are analogue standards. For instance region 0 DVD players will output ntsc, but will play any DVD's from anywhere.

The OP's problem is that if the PS2 is outputting pal analogue then they won't stand a chance of getting a TV here to work with it if they didn't bring one with them.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
To be very pedantic:

The video on a DVD might be encoded to a pal (or ntsc) equivalent resolution, but the actual format used will (most likely) be mpeg-2. It won't really be pal or ntsc as these are analogue standards. For instance region 0 DVD players will output ntsc, but will play any DVD's from anywhere.

The OP's problem is that if the PS2 is outputting pal analogue then they won't stand a chance of getting a TV here to work with it if they didn't bring one with them.
But I thought most Tv's come with PAL/Secam/NTSC compatibility. Or is that just in the UK? Do North American TV's only come with NTSC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.