Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:31 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Sell your collection and start again with Blu-ray's
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
Sell your collection and start again with Blu-ray's

I have some obscure movies on dvd that i'm sure will never hit blu-ray. Blu ray availability has always been lacking in UK, i have a few but think they'll be going when i flog my PS3 in next couple of weeks which i'll likely replace afer arrival in BC with US spec equip.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:50 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try again... rip them all to a hard drive, sell them, then buy a media player - saves bringing a bucket load of DVD's with you and having to find a multi region player for them....
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
I'll try again... rip them all to a hard drive, sell them, then buy a media player - saves bringing a bucket load of DVD's with you and having to find a multi region player for them....

I'd need a couple of terabytes for that! , fair suggestion though. I do like the look of that western digital media player

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WDTV/
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:27 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Psyched
I'd need a couple of terabytes for that! , fair suggestion though. I do like the look of that western digital media player

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WDTV/
I have an Asus O!Play, same sort of device, it will play DVD's from an iso file with full menu's as if it was a DVD! The WDTV doesn't do this I believe, it does however do things that the Asus doesn't..... All of the media players seem to have their + and - points!

Funny you should mention 2TB drives, I just had one delivered on friday - $135
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I have an Asus O!Play, same sort of device, it will play DVD's from an iso file with full menu's as if it was a DVD! The WDTV doesn't do this I believe, it does however do things that the Asus doesn't..... All of the media players seem to have their + and - points!

Funny you should mention 2TB drives, I just had one delivered on friday - $135
I have both the O!Play and the WDTV Live. You are correct, they both have their pros and cons. I use the O!Play to stream my movies from my 2.5Tb NAS drive. The WDTV Live is used mostly to watch British TV, which the O!Play can't do.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
The WDTV Live is used mostly to watch British TV, which the O!Play can't do.
Sounds interesting, do elaborate - what's the source (iplayer?), are you using a VPN etc?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

I have both the O!Play and the WDTV Live. You are correct, they both have their pros and cons. I use the O!Play to stream my movies from my 2.5Tb NAS drive. The WDTV Live is used mostly to watch British TV, which the O!Play can't do.
Can someone translate this into blonde please

I have a cheapo Diamond player which plays UK dvds but its about to pack in again(second one in 7 years @ 30 and 40 bucks)as the screen goes green sometimes, any recommendations for a new one appreciated.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Sounds interesting, do elaborate - what's the source (iplayer?), are you using a VPN etc?
I'm sorry but I can't provide too many details on this (yet) as I have been experimenting at home for the past 2 months. So far, I've got it to work on the PS3 and WDTV Live. The O!Play and Xbox360 seem to have some issues with it but I hope to get around those issues in the near future.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Mar 30th 2010 at 1:34 am.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pammy
Can someone translate this into blonde please

I have a cheapo Diamond player which plays UK dvds but its about to pack in again(second one in 7 years @ 30 and 40 bucks)as the screen goes green sometimes, any recommendations for a new one appreciated.
We are talking about media-less players, they are devices that don't have a DVD or CD tray. They work by connecting to USB sticks, hard drives or network drives. They also stream video off the internet.

http://pccyber.com/?v=product&i=MULTI-AS-HDP-R1
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

What they said.

Make sure as well, that your "TV output" selection in your DVD player's settings menu is set to NTSC otherwise, you might run into problems. Best to do this just before you leave the UK. Over there the worst case scenario is that your screen goes black and white. If you don't do it and wait until you get over here, chances are you'll be watching a rapidly scrolling screen trying to figure out what you need to press on your remote control.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:53 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

I'm sorry but I can't provide too many details on this (yet) as I have been experimenting at home for the past 2 months. So far, I've got it to work on the PS3 and WDTV Live. The O!Play and Xbox360 seem to have some issues with it but I hope to get around those issues in the near future.
Oh, you tease you
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G77
Oh, you tease you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDKKJLaBeE
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:12 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

C'mon, spill the beans.... Guessing you're using a VPN with something like TVersity to stream it to the PS3?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77

C'mon, spill the beans.... Guessing you're using a VPN with something like TVersity to stream it to the PS3?
Is this VPN thing the way to go then? What kind of running cost is involved and who would you suggest service wise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.