British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/packing-shipping-marine-insurance-questions-828748/)

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:06 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 11177397)
Speak with other companies, I seriously would not book a move with a company that cannot estimate your move acurately.

Yes the gut instinct was not good, but this is a fairly heralded shipping co. In these woods. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as well? I will continue working with them to ascertain the situation and if that was just an off encounter.

Thanks.

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:09 am

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11177402)
I don't know what company you're thinking of using (I don't see any reason why you couldn't give their name? Lots of discussions on particular moving companies on here) but if that's the sort of estimate you got there's no way I'd use me - I'm with Miss Clinique on this one!

We got estimates from about 7 companies (I like researching lol) and all those who came to estimate were able to give a precise estimate, and were happy to discuss storage options in Canada if we needed them. A company that can't estimate and won't remotely help with the question of arrival storage? I'd be looking elsewhere...

We used The Moving Partnership and had a very smooth shipping experience :)

Also dealing with Matthew from TMP. He is very good indeed and I am impressed. We are not in the UK so our options are slimmer than in the direct market but I will continue to evaluate the price/quality ratio.

Izzi, you also evaluated ewewpack didn't you? Glad to hear that TMP gave you a good deal and most importantly, experience!

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Maplease (Post 11177464)
We used PSS and got stung because of their inaccurate estimator. I would be very wary of anyone who is so non-specific. It was bad enough for us when we thought we'd gone with a company who knew how many items would fit in a box. Be really careful with your lists and estimates. Try and nail it down as much as you can.

Good luck,:fingerscrossed:

Thanks :) Finally moving my lazy butt and putting a list together. Sorry to hear you got stung too and hope it all goes superbly from here!

Miss Clinique Mar 18th 2014 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178180)
Yes the gut instinct was not good, but this is a fairly heralded shipping co. In these woods. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as well? I will continue working with them to ascertain the situation and if that was just an off encounter.

Thanks.

Sounds like a bad estimator, call their office and speak to the export manager. Good luck.

izzi81 Mar 18th 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178187)
Also dealing with Matthew from TMP. He is very good indeed and I am impressed. We are not in the UK so our options are slimmer than in the direct market but I will continue to evaluate the price/quality ratio.

Izzi, you also evaluated ewewpack didn't you? Glad to hear that TMP gave you a good deal and most importantly, experience!

We did look at Ewepack, though not as thoroughly as some of the others. I would have been happy enough to use them, but my partner basically refused to pack everything! He was probably right, it would have taken a very long time and would have been more stressful, but I'm forever looking for the cheapest option - and I like to be in control of everything lol. There were also added expenses if you wanted the container on the ground... it was just more hassle than we needed at the time.

When we unpacked I wasn't too impressed with the way some of my things had been packed (I have a lot of little trinkets and things) but the only thing that got broken was the leg of a chest of drawers, and I suspect that was down to the 1 week warehouse storage we had in Canada...

Siouxie Mar 18th 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178180)

Thanks.

I should perhaps mention that Miss Clinique has many years experience with international moving and shipping and absolutely knows her stuff. Her advice should be heeded.

:)

cxx Mar 18th 2014 6:50 pm

Even if you have decided which company you want to use, get quotes from several others. That way you can compare not only the costs, but also the amount of space they estimate you will require.
One of the problems with using a large company is that your local branch may be the weakest link and the service you receive will be different to that in other areas.

fabretti18 Mar 19th 2014 6:29 am

Also...Groupage isn't always cheaper. Get them to quote you for Groupage and Sole-use

lookingtogo Mar 19th 2014 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11178653)
We did look at Ewepack, though not as thoroughly as some of the others. I would have been happy enough to use them, but my partner basically refused to pack everything! He was probably right, it would have taken a very long time and would have been more stressful, but I'm forever looking for the cheapest option - and I like to be in control of everything lol. There were also added expenses if you wanted the container on the ground... it was just more hassle than we needed at the time.

When we unpacked I wasn't too impressed with the way some of my things had been packed (I have a lot of little trinkets and things) but the only thing that got broken was the leg of a chest of drawers, and I suspect that was down to the 1 week warehouse storage we had in Canada...

You sound like me :):thumbup:

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11179855)
Also...Groupage isn't always cheaper. Get them to quote you for Groupage and Sole-use

Am doing sole use. We have too much stuff!

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 11178312)
Sounds like a bad estimator, call their office and speak to the export manager. Good luck.

Have done so. He said their estimator is very experienced.

Siouxie, thx for letting me know!

lookingtogo Mar 22nd 2014 11:59 am

The alarm bells continue to sound.

Anyway, so this company who I invested time to think about using, based on recommendations and discussions here, now, after 2 months, have said they are increasing the price by 800 hundred pounds or so.

This is based on the wishy washy estimate, and their rationale was that access to our property is too difficult.

No other estimator or company has said this. I am disappointed of course, but also sanguine about the feelings I had. I have not ruled them out yet, and will look at the survey they send. They have said they will send this, although I am yet to receive it.

One would think a professional company could at least follow through on commitments eg. I will send you something by this time. Let's see.

Is this common practice?

Tirytory Mar 22nd 2014 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11185420)

Anyway, so this company who I invested time to think about using, based on recommendations and discussions here, now, after 2 months, have said they are increasing the price by 800 hundred pounds or so.

This is based on the wishy washy estimate, and their rationale was that access to our property is too difficult.

No other estimator or company has said this. I am disappointed of course, but also sanguine about the feelings I had. I have not ruled them out yet, and will look at the survey they send. They have said they will send this, although I am yet to receive it.

One would think a professional company could at least follow through on commitments eg. I will send you something by this time. Let's see.

Is this common practice?

Again, I mostly have had very prompt service from companies. Certainly White's were super prompt.

Siouxie Mar 22nd 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11185420)

Is this common practice?

If a company is being vague, lackadaisical, slow to respond and showing a lack of professionalism when you are trying to give them money, how are they going to be if you have a problem after you have paid them?

:eek:

izzi81 Mar 22nd 2014 2:06 pm

Remember you are trusting all your worldy goods to this company. If they keep doing things that make you uneasy, I'd be going elsewhere. I considered Whites, but heard a few negative reviews and then they told me the shipping would take 2-3 times as long as another company. Decision made!

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11185481)
Again, I mostly have had very prompt service from companies. Certainly White's were super prompt.

I guess it depends on who you get then :confused:

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11185567)
Remember you are trusting all your worldy goods to this company. If they keep doing things that make you uneasy, I'd be going elsewhere. I considered Whites, but heard a few negative reviews and then they told me the shipping would take 2-3 times as long as another company. Decision made!

Agree to the tee.