British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/packing-shipping-marine-insurance-questions-828748/)

lookingtogo Mar 16th 2014 8:44 pm

Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Hi,

Have been talking to shipping companies recently. One which gets a good wrap came round and said a few things which I wanted to run by you folk.

One of them is this - contents should be a 20 foot container but he wouldn't know until it went into the container in the UK and by then we should give them a list of 'dump' items. I said what would that mean? He said those ones would then have to go groupage. Is that normal?

When I asked again, he then said that actually they could decide on the day ie when they picked it up.

He was going to tell us to dump at the container loading time - is that normal?

Also when I asked about storage in Canada (I know forum folk who had their stuff stored on the other side by this company) the rep said his company wanted nothing to do with the Canadian storage side of things, and he wouldn't deal with that.

There were a few other things but based on the good opinions I have previously read about them on here ... :confused:

Thoughts?

lookingtogo Mar 16th 2014 9:25 pm

Packaging of Shipping companies
 
A couple of threads said that their mattresses got stained and soaked on the way to Canada.

Did anyone who used door to door service pack their mattresses, furniture etc in addition to the standard packaging provided by shipping companies?

Eg additional bubble wrap or plastic wrap etc
Extra padding on wooden furniture etc

I also heard that there is a high chance of condensation/mould in books or photos - should we add silica gels?

etc Just sounds pretty bad and don't fancy having to claim on insurance.

Any experience/tips would be fabulous.

lookingtogo Mar 16th 2014 9:26 pm

Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
How much is this usually, and are any companies better than others? I know with travel insurance some of the cheaper ones have terrible fine print clauses.

Also, how do you prepare the manifesto - is it just general eg. books x 200 = value $2000?

Thanks.

Siouxie Mar 16th 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Verification & Packing - Shipping
 
I merged your three threads as they are on the same subject.

:)

fabretti18 Mar 16th 2014 9:55 pm

Re: Verification & Packing - Shipping
 
We used Anglo-Pacific door to door from Central Scotland to Wetaskiwin Alberta and had no problems whatsoever as they had wrapped and packed everything meticulously.
So we had no need to worry.

Whatever company you use it's important to find out exactly how they intend to do your move and if they are good then your mind should be at rest.

:)

It's also worth mentioning that they only do international moves so their boxes are that little bit stronger and some items were "double" boxed

Tirytory Mar 17th 2014 2:23 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Ours should get here soon so I will be able to comment :fingerscrossed: and touch wood.

Marine insurance should cover mold/damp damage though. We went for separate insurance from the removal company, much more competitive. It sounds a big worrying if the removal company don't want to be involved in storage on the Canadian side. Our removal company showed no such problem with that, although we're not storing so..

yogiBC Mar 17th 2014 3:15 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
i used Brittania appleyeard from yorkshire,,they have a sister company in vancouver... john the owner came out personally and chatted to us ,,,we arranged for them to pack everything and transport ,,,,, they where very good ,,,packing was excellent ,,,nothing damaged at all ,,,he knew exactly what size container to order and they make a very good inventory for customs.
on arrival of the conatainer i went to sign the paperwork for the custom release,,,
it was then delivered by brittania appleyeards sister company ,,they emptied the container into the house and put everything where we wanted it..removed all wrapped and took it away.

lookingtogo Mar 17th 2014 4:10 pm

Re: Verification & Packing - Shipping
 

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11175874)
Whatever company you use it's important to find out exactly how they intend to do your move and if they are good then your mind should be at rest.

:)

It's also worth mentioning that they only do international moves so their boxes are that little bit stronger and some items were "double" boxed

Stellar advice. I am talking now to them as the initial advice rang some alarm bells but it's getting better & will update at the end of this how it all goes.

This company gets good reviews on BE and have also spoken with some expats who utilised their services in detail, so I am positive about them generally. Still in the process though and will decide & also update as we go along.

lookingtogo Mar 17th 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11176084)
Ours should get here soon so I will be able to comment :fingerscrossed: and touch wood.

Marine insurance should cover mold/damp damage though. We went for separate insurance from the removal company, much more competitive. It sounds a big worrying if the removal company don't want to be involved in storage on the Canadian side. Our removal company showed no such problem with that, although we're not storing so..

Thx Tirytory, yes not sure why I was told that. A friend got a few weeks complimentary, but we were told no.

Hope your shipment arrives safe and sound. What insurance co did you use and are the insurance forms different from ship manifestos?

lookingtogo Mar 17th 2014 4:13 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by yogiBC (Post 11176127)
i used Brittania appleyeard from yorkshire,,they have a sister company in vancouver... john the owner came out personally and chatted to us ,,,we arranged for them to pack everything and transport ,,,,, they where very good ,,,packing was excellent ,,,nothing damaged at all ,,,he knew exactly what size container to order and they make a very good inventory for customs.
on arrival of the conatainer i went to sign the paperwork for the custom release,,,
it was then delivered by brittania appleyeards sister company ,,they emptied the container into the house and put everything where we wanted it..removed all wrapped and took it away.

Sounds like a good co and experience :thumbup:

lookingtogo Mar 17th 2014 4:13 pm

Re: Verification & Packing - Shipping
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11175871)
I merged your three threads as they are on the same subject.

:)

Thx Siouxie

Tirytory Mar 17th 2014 8:53 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11176961)
Thx Tirytory, yes not sure why I was told that. A friend got a few weeks complimentary, but we were told no.

Hope your shipment arrives safe and sound. What insurance co did you use and are the insurance forms different from ship manifestos?

Letton Percival, I hated doing the insurance forms, long procrastination over it. We didn't do anything with ship manifestos, but Removal company sorted paperwork when they packed everything up. There are a few threads on marine insurance that I read through. They'll prob come up on a google search too.

We had four free weeks storage on the uk side which we used. None on the Canadian side.

Miss Clinique Mar 17th 2014 9:08 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11175807)
Hi,

Have been talking to shipping companies recently. One which gets a good wrap came round and said a few things which I wanted to run by you folk.

One of them is this - contents should be a 20 foot container but he wouldn't know until it went into the container in the UK and by then we should give them a list of 'dump' items. I said what would that mean? He said those ones would then have to go groupage. Is that normal?

Absolutely not - poor estimating.

When I asked again, he then said that actually they could decide on the day ie when they picked it up.

Scary - run for the hills

He was going to tell us to dump at the container loading time - is that normal?

OMG!

Also when I asked about storage in Canada (I know forum folk who had their stuff stored on the other side by this company) the rep said his company wanted nothing to do with the Canadian storage side of things, and he wouldn't deal with that.

Poor customer service, they should be talking to their agent in Canada about what you need from them once your goods arrive.

There were a few other things but based on the good opinions I have previously read about them on here ... :confused

Thoughts?

Speak with other companies, I seriously would not book a move with a company that cannot estimate your move acurately.

izzi81 Mar 17th 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
I don't know what company you're thinking of using (I don't see any reason why you couldn't give their name? Lots of discussions on particular moving companies on here) but if that's the sort of estimate you got there's no way I'd use me - I'm with Miss Clinique on this one!

We got estimates from about 7 companies (I like researching lol) and all those who came to estimate were able to give a precise estimate, and were happy to discuss storage options in Canada if we needed them. A company that can't estimate and won't remotely help with the question of arrival storage? I'd be looking elsewhere...

We used The Moving Partnership and had a very smooth shipping experience :)

Maplease Mar 17th 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
We used PSS and got stung because of their inaccurate estimator. I would be very wary of anyone who is so non-specific. It was bad enough for us when we thought we'd gone with a company who knew how many items would fit in a box. Be really careful with your lists and estimates. Try and nail it down as much as you can.

Good luck,:fingerscrossed:

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:06 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 11177397)
Speak with other companies, I seriously would not book a move with a company that cannot estimate your move acurately.

Yes the gut instinct was not good, but this is a fairly heralded shipping co. In these woods. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as well? I will continue working with them to ascertain the situation and if that was just an off encounter.

Thanks.

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:09 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11177402)
I don't know what company you're thinking of using (I don't see any reason why you couldn't give their name? Lots of discussions on particular moving companies on here) but if that's the sort of estimate you got there's no way I'd use me - I'm with Miss Clinique on this one!

We got estimates from about 7 companies (I like researching lol) and all those who came to estimate were able to give a precise estimate, and were happy to discuss storage options in Canada if we needed them. A company that can't estimate and won't remotely help with the question of arrival storage? I'd be looking elsewhere...

We used The Moving Partnership and had a very smooth shipping experience :)

Also dealing with Matthew from TMP. He is very good indeed and I am impressed. We are not in the UK so our options are slimmer than in the direct market but I will continue to evaluate the price/quality ratio.

Izzi, you also evaluated ewewpack didn't you? Glad to hear that TMP gave you a good deal and most importantly, experience!

lookingtogo Mar 18th 2014 11:10 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by Maplease (Post 11177464)
We used PSS and got stung because of their inaccurate estimator. I would be very wary of anyone who is so non-specific. It was bad enough for us when we thought we'd gone with a company who knew how many items would fit in a box. Be really careful with your lists and estimates. Try and nail it down as much as you can.

Good luck,:fingerscrossed:

Thanks :) Finally moving my lazy butt and putting a list together. Sorry to hear you got stung too and hope it all goes superbly from here!

Miss Clinique Mar 18th 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178180)
Yes the gut instinct was not good, but this is a fairly heralded shipping co. In these woods. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as well? I will continue working with them to ascertain the situation and if that was just an off encounter.

Thanks.

Sounds like a bad estimator, call their office and speak to the export manager. Good luck.

izzi81 Mar 18th 2014 3:38 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178187)
Also dealing with Matthew from TMP. He is very good indeed and I am impressed. We are not in the UK so our options are slimmer than in the direct market but I will continue to evaluate the price/quality ratio.

Izzi, you also evaluated ewewpack didn't you? Glad to hear that TMP gave you a good deal and most importantly, experience!

We did look at Ewepack, though not as thoroughly as some of the others. I would have been happy enough to use them, but my partner basically refused to pack everything! He was probably right, it would have taken a very long time and would have been more stressful, but I'm forever looking for the cheapest option - and I like to be in control of everything lol. There were also added expenses if you wanted the container on the ground... it was just more hassle than we needed at the time.

When we unpacked I wasn't too impressed with the way some of my things had been packed (I have a lot of little trinkets and things) but the only thing that got broken was the leg of a chest of drawers, and I suspect that was down to the 1 week warehouse storage we had in Canada...

Siouxie Mar 18th 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11178180)
Yes the gut instinct was not good, but this is a fairly heralded shipping co. In these woods. I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as well? I will continue working with them to ascertain the situation and if that was just an off encounter.

Thanks.

I should perhaps mention that Miss Clinique has many years experience with international moving and shipping and absolutely knows her stuff. Her advice should be heeded.

:)

cxx Mar 18th 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Even if you have decided which company you want to use, get quotes from several others. That way you can compare not only the costs, but also the amount of space they estimate you will require.
One of the problems with using a large company is that your local branch may be the weakest link and the service you receive will be different to that in other areas.

fabretti18 Mar 19th 2014 6:29 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Also...Groupage isn't always cheaper. Get them to quote you for Groupage and Sole-use

lookingtogo Mar 19th 2014 12:29 pm


Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11178653)
We did look at Ewepack, though not as thoroughly as some of the others. I would have been happy enough to use them, but my partner basically refused to pack everything! He was probably right, it would have taken a very long time and would have been more stressful, but I'm forever looking for the cheapest option - and I like to be in control of everything lol. There were also added expenses if you wanted the container on the ground... it was just more hassle than we needed at the time.

When we unpacked I wasn't too impressed with the way some of my things had been packed (I have a lot of little trinkets and things) but the only thing that got broken was the leg of a chest of drawers, and I suspect that was down to the 1 week warehouse storage we had in Canada...

You sound like me :):thumbup:


Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11179855)
Also...Groupage isn't always cheaper. Get them to quote you for Groupage and Sole-use

Am doing sole use. We have too much stuff!


Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 11178312)
Sounds like a bad estimator, call their office and speak to the export manager. Good luck.

Have done so. He said their estimator is very experienced.

Siouxie, thx for letting me know!

lookingtogo Mar 22nd 2014 11:59 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
The alarm bells continue to sound.

Anyway, so this company who I invested time to think about using, based on recommendations and discussions here, now, after 2 months, have said they are increasing the price by 800 hundred pounds or so.

This is based on the wishy washy estimate, and their rationale was that access to our property is too difficult.

No other estimator or company has said this. I am disappointed of course, but also sanguine about the feelings I had. I have not ruled them out yet, and will look at the survey they send. They have said they will send this, although I am yet to receive it.

One would think a professional company could at least follow through on commitments eg. I will send you something by this time. Let's see.

Is this common practice?

Tirytory Mar 22nd 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11185420)
The alarm bells continue to sound.

Anyway, so this company who I invested time to think about using, based on recommendations and discussions here, now, after 2 months, have said they are increasing the price by 800 hundred pounds or so.

This is based on the wishy washy estimate, and their rationale was that access to our property is too difficult.

No other estimator or company has said this. I am disappointed of course, but also sanguine about the feelings I had. I have not ruled them out yet, and will look at the survey they send. They have said they will send this, although I am yet to receive it.

One would think a professional company could at least follow through on commitments eg. I will send you something by this time. Let's see.

Is this common practice?

Again, I mostly have had very prompt service from companies. Certainly White's were super prompt.

Siouxie Mar 22nd 2014 2:03 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11185420)
The alarm bells continue to sound.

Anyway, so this company who I invested time to think about using, based on recommendations and discussions here, now, after 2 months, have said they are increasing the price by 800 hundred pounds or so.

This is based on the wishy washy estimate, and their rationale was that access to our property is too difficult.

No other estimator or company has said this. I am disappointed of course, but also sanguine about the feelings I had. I have not ruled them out yet, and will look at the survey they send. They have said they will send this, although I am yet to receive it.

One would think a professional company could at least follow through on commitments eg. I will send you something by this time. Let's see.

Is this common practice?

If a company is being vague, lackadaisical, slow to respond and showing a lack of professionalism when you are trying to give them money, how are they going to be if you have a problem after you have paid them?

:eek:

izzi81 Mar 22nd 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Remember you are trusting all your worldy goods to this company. If they keep doing things that make you uneasy, I'd be going elsewhere. I considered Whites, but heard a few negative reviews and then they told me the shipping would take 2-3 times as long as another company. Decision made!

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 11:51 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11185481)
Again, I mostly have had very prompt service from companies. Certainly White's were super prompt.

I guess it depends on who you get then :confused:

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 12:06 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 11185567)
Remember you are trusting all your worldy goods to this company. If they keep doing things that make you uneasy, I'd be going elsewhere. I considered Whites, but heard a few negative reviews and then they told me the shipping would take 2-3 times as long as another company. Decision made!

Agree to the tee.

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11185564)
If a company is being vague, lackadaisical, slow to respond and showing a lack of professionalism when you are trying to give them money, how are they going to be if you have a problem after you have paid them?

:eek:

Agree, Siouxie. How offputting, and a disappointment.

I will tell my corporate network about this.

Tirytory Mar 24th 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Well I'm spitting feathers this end, DO NOT USE TIPPETTS, they are bloody useless, will explain more later...

lookingtogo Mar 24th 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Commiserations, Tirytory!

izzi81 Mar 24th 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Just about every big shipping company seems to use Tippets in Canada, every single quote we got said that was who they would be using...

lookingtogo Mar 25th 2014 9:54 am

Re: Packing, shipping and Marine Insurance questions
 
Yes, they seem to be one of the largest partners. A few also said Tippets on my side.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:56 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.