Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Packing semi-personal papers??

Packing semi-personal papers??

Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Andy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud of
Default Packing semi-personal papers??

Ok, shippers coming tomorrow *deep breath*. What did others do (or plan to do) with personal papers?? Ok, marriage certificates and such will be in my carry-on, but what about official paperwork that we don't necessarily need with us, but really don't want to get lost? For example, pensions paperwork, legal correspondence, even old family photos we haven't had time to scan. It's too much to bring with us unless we pay for excess weight at the airport. We're leaning towards adding it to our shipment, but are worried it might go missing. Some reassurance or alternative suggestions would also be welcomed

Thanks,
Jen
Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing semi-personal papers??

Originally Posted by Andy_Jen
Ok, shippers coming tomorrow *deep breath*. What did others do (or plan to do) with personal papers?? Ok, marriage certificates and such will be in my carry-on, but what about official paperwork that we don't necessarily need with us, but really don't want to get lost? For example, pensions paperwork, legal correspondence, even old family photos we haven't had time to scan. It's too much to bring with us unless we pay for excess weight at the airport. We're leaning towards adding it to our shipment, but are worried it might go missing. Some reassurance or alternative suggestions would also be welcomed

Thanks,
Jen
Could you post them to yourself ? Probably not but it's a thought
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks,
Jen
We scanned them alongwith copies of credit card and bank statements etc. Carried the discs with us and sent the actual papers with the shipment.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Andy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud of

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will consider posting some things, but have decided to put some things in the shipment (after a frantic scanning session yesterday). I will be so glad when they've come and gone *sigh*

Thanks again,
Jen
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will consider posting some things, but have decided to put some things in the shipment (after a frantic scanning session yesterday). I will be so glad when they've come and gone *sigh*

Thanks again,
Jen
We carried all the really important legal docs with us - the precious pre digital days photo's I packed, but did carry the negatives!

We had a LOT of stuff damaged and 'missing' much of which was boxes of paper work etc. So be very choosy about what you pack
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:19 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Calgal
We carried all the really important legal docs with us - the precious pre digital days photo's I packed, but did carry the negatives!

We had a LOT of stuff damaged and 'missing' much of which was boxes of paper work etc. So be very choosy about what you pack
Who did you use for shipping? If you had a lot of stuff damaged and missing, let everyone know who the offending company is so the rest of us can hopefully avoid them.

We are just in the process of packing all our stuff up, for our move in three weeks.

Perhaps I don't want you to answer my question above after all in case you name the company we are using! Gulp!

Cheers
Jane
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
Who did you use for shipping? If you had a lot of stuff damaged and missing, let everyone know who the offending company is so the rest of us can hopefully avoid them.

We are just in the process of packing all our stuff up, for our move in three weeks.

Perhaps I don't want you to answer my question above after all in case you name the company we are using! Gulp!

Cheers
Jane
We used Anglo Pacific. Recommended by friends who used them when they moved down under. We were pleased with their service at both ends. No damage, no losses. Everything unpacked and reassembled in the right rooms .

H
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Jane

Cheers
Jane
I have no idea who handled the European end, as it was part of a severance package, and we had no say. As we came from Germany, I doubt it would be relevant to anyone here either. As for this end, the company was Mackie Moving Systems, who have long since gone under anyway. Knowing what we know now - I would have organised my own and paid for it happily!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

In the end we kept back all bank and credit card paperwork, insurance paperwork, latest pension statements, certificates (birth marriage, educational), and professional papers (anything we might need to back up resume or re-write resume). We also had huge last minute scanning effort on personal papers and pre-digital photos and shipped those. We did also keep back the negatives. We discovered our local snappy snap will turn old negatives into jpegs and put them on photo CDs with very good results - saved some effort, but wish I'd have thought of that months ago.

We had two middle-aged men come and pack it all up - took about 90 minutes for them to pack up 33 cubic feet into 11 boxes. They seemed very capable and polite. We went with Excess International and have had really good service, although won't really be able to judge until things have arrived safe and sound (what a relief that will be).

Just as an aside - we give up our flat on Friday and all we have left is a couple of charity shop trips and some cleaning to do. The one last big thing we had to do was sell our car which we'd left to the last minute. I made up some signs to put in the window of the car yesterday while the shippers were here thinking I'd park the car somewhere visible this weekend. In honour of the lack of kitchenware we ordered pizza - the pizza delivery boy bought the car the same night. Very convenient - starting to feel real now that we're in an empty flat with no transport

Jen