Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PA to high net worths - Calgary

Wikiposts

PA to high net worths - Calgary

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PA to high net worths - Calgary

Originally Posted by gstarr
That's the point! I don't know what my options are! Have spent a lot of time on the Canadian gov website but don't know what option I am most likely to be able to get.
Boyf is a PR and is sponsored by his ex although they are still married... Can he sponsor me as a PR? Or does the sponsor have to be a citizen? He can't get a divorce quickly so marriage isn't an option for now.
Ah, I see. You said you were hoping to move in August, so I assumed you'd got an application in and were just waiting for the final stages of visa processing.

Sounds like your only option then is a TWP, although as I said above, I think a LMO for a PA is going to be tough. Plus there's no way you'd have a TWP by August I'm afraid.

Have you and your boyf lived together for a year or more? If so, he may be able to sponsor you once he's divorced. When did he get his PR?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 2nd 2013 at 6:13 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:27 am
Just Joined

gstarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see. You said you were hoping to move in August, so I assumed you'd got an application in and were just waiting for the final stages of visa processing.

Sounds like your only option then is a TWP, although as I said above, I think a LMO for a PA is going to be tough. Plus there's no way you'd have a TWP by August I'm afraid.

Have you and your boyf lived together for a year or more? If so, he may be able to sponsor you once he's divorced. When did he get his PR?
He's had it for 2 years. We've been together for 6 months...
If i come over on a tourist visa, I can stay for 6 month right? And if I find a job can I apply for a twp from canada or do I have to return to the uk?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If i come over on a tourist visa, I can stay for 6 month right? And if I find a job can I apply for a twp from canada or do I have to return to the uk?
I'm sorry, honey but it sounds like he's better off forgotten. He's still married and you have only been together 6 months but you're willing to move across the world to be with him? In Canada divorce is relatively quick - i.e. less than a year, so why can't he get divorced quickly? So...If you have been together 6 months that means he's at least 6 months closer to being divorced. http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/fjs/s...s-divorce-take
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

AS ChristmasO says you might find it hard getting an LMO. A Labour Market Opinion is an assessment that the employer has not been able to find a Canadian resident who can do that job.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/em...lmo-basics.asp

The potential employer has to apply for the LMO and show that they have been unable to recruit someone with citizenship or PR.

If you are under 35 you might consider an IEC visa. Others know more about this than I do but the timing is awkward I think. If you were able to get one then you would not need an LMO and would be able to work anywhere, Bar work etc.

On a tourist visa you would need health insurance for 6 months, that usually only covers emergencies.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:17 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Quite Millie! Also worth pointing out that these men can also be women...hence the term HNW individuals as opposed to HNW men!
I don't know if there's much of that sort of thing in conservative Alberta. I'd have thought Vancouver would be your best bet for that sort of lark?...

Have you worked with any convincing ones? It's the hands that usually give it away isn't it......
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

It's not quite that simple, as Bats and C/O have already stated, the job you eant to apply for has to be approved by the Canadian government to hire foreign workers. (in a nutshell). By proving that they cannot hire a Canadian.

A PR's job, whether it be for trawler fishermen or high net worth rich bastards, is something that i'm sure there are plenty of Canadians qualified as such.

I'd say it's going to be nigh on impossible getting a twp.

But miracles do happen so yes, if you were offered a job with an LMO, you could absolutely apply from in Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK citizen, you can get up to six months entry - note the 'up to', you may be given less. Don't plan to 'move' though, if you turn up with all your worldly possessions and no ties to the UK CBSA may not admit you. Go for a holiday with a return ticket and you should be ok.

You can get a TWP from Canada, although do note that LMOs are taking 12-16 weeks at the moment, so unless you can find a job offer almost immediately from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/cost/wait of hiring you, you may have to return to the UK to wait for it unless you can extend your visitor status.

How old are you, is an IEC visa an option?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

He can't get a divorce quickly so marriage isn't an option for now.
If he loves you, I presume he can move ahead with the divorce and marry you after that.

Wishing you well.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:59 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

is there a waiting period whereby sponsored persons who then divorce have to wait an amount of time before they can spnsor someone else????
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
He cannot sponsor you while he is still married.
I suppose they may have changed the rules recently but I did that.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:27 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Then I stand corrected

It just seems odd (no judgement passed) that you can sponsor someone as a defacto spouse when you still have a previous one attached
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Then I stand corrected

It just seems odd (no judgement passed) that you can sponsor someone as a defacto spouse when you still have a previous one attached
Semi-detached! I assume the provision is there is support of multiculturalism, allowing immigrants from cultures where plural marriages are accepted; Americans or Arabs, for example.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Then I stand corrected

This is interesting... Does anyone know if this is possible? His sponsor and he have a conjoin du fe in Quebec. They have broken up (obviously!). But nothing official has been documented yet. She won't be making it easy for him so this may take time! Can he sponsor me as a PR in his own right?
Thanks all for the useful comments (and for the less useful ones which are amusing me if nothing else!)
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Please tell me more!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

OK so just to be clear, your boyfriend has his PR yes? or is he in the process of being sponsored?

He cannot sponsor you while he is still married.

You may have to look at other options to get to Canada as that particular situation sounds messy from an immigration point of view.

take a look at the wiki for your options
He could sponsor her, despite being married still, provided they were living in a common law relationship (which they aren't at present).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf section 5:38

Persons who are married to third parties may be considered common-law partners provided their marriage has broken down and they have lived separate and apart from the spouse for long enough to establish a common-law relationship – at least one year. In this case they must have cohabited in a conjugal relationship with the common-law partner for at least one year.

Cohabitation with a common-law partner cannot be considered to have started until a physical separation from the spouse has occurred. A common-law relationship cannot be legally established if one or both parties continue their marital relationships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.