Old May 14th 2012, 3:07 am
Just Joined

ozaintthatgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ozaintthatgood's questions re: benefits and healthcare

Hi everyone

Hope someone could help a little
We're a family of four who moved from uk to oz on PR
Love the country and not homesick but just feel alienated
My family all moved to Canada and I always wanted to move there but when met my hubby it was his dream to move to oz
He took me on 4 month holiday there fell in love with it lodged visa and moved there
Anyway I hate flying and dreaded flight to oz thinking it didn't matter as wouldn't be regular but now realise anywhere I want to go involves at least 2 planes might sound silly but just realise we are on other side of world
We travelled alot so really miss how far away from everything we are
Hubby said we could move to Canada done alot of research online but realistically wondered what it is like
As uk pr holders in oz we get family allowance as would in uk and sOme medical benifits is it the same in Canada or do you get zero help?
Thanks in advance
Old May 14th 2012, 5:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice

Originally Posted by ozaintthatgood
Hi everyone

My family all moved to Canada and I always wanted to move there but when met my hubby it was his dream to move to oz
He took me on 4 month holiday there fell in love with it lodged visa and moved there
Anyway I hate flying and dreaded flight to oz thinking it didn't matter as wouldn't be regular but now realise anywhere I want to go involves at least 2 planes might sound silly but just realise we are on other side of world
Hubby said we could move to Canada done alot of research online but realistically wondered what it is like
As uk pr holders in oz we get family allowance as would in uk and sOme medical benifits is it the same in Canada or do you get zero help?
Thanks in advance
There are provincial health plans, which you pay for, drugs you pay for yourself. Child tax benefit based on earnings in the preceding tax return filed with CRA. Other than that not much, it is paid for by Canadian tax payers, it is hoped that new immigrants are more concerned about contributing to the economy than what they can get out of it.
Old May 14th 2012, 5:39 am
Just Joined

I thank you for that bit of advice and little bit of useless info at the end of your post. I pay private medical here in oz and also pay my fair share of taxes as I have done since arriving here. It's a valid question I'm not a sponger like some. It all adds up to wether or not I can realistically live on a heavy vehicle mechanic wage. I also like finding out about everything before applying wether that involves how much I can get as well as how much I will be paying in tax.
Old May 14th 2012, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance
Just to clarify im not looking to get handouts just how the system works eg
In uk doctors / hospital no charge
In oz pay 60 for doc visit 300 dollars (šŸ˜±) pedi visit for son but can claim some money back through medicare so helps alot
Also in oz recieve fortnightly child benefit
Just wanted to know if you pay for docs and can claim back or you have to pay 100%
not looking for freebees or where grass is greener looking at all financial costs envolved to confirm what position we will be in
Old May 14th 2012, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
There are provincial health plans, which you pay for, drugs you pay for yourself. Child tax benefit based on earnings in the preceding tax return filed with CRA. Other than that not much, it is paid for by Canadian tax payers, it is hoped that new immigrants are more concerned about contributing to the economy than what they can get out of it.
No wonder everyone wants to move there if only the canadians pay tax! I thought everyone had to ī„…
Old May 14th 2012, 9:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, your thread title is 'visa advice', but this actually seems to be a question about child benefit and healthcare etc, can you clarify?

It's just that if it's nothing to do with visas I'll move it to the main Canada forum where it belongs, and where more people will respond.

Old May 14th 2012, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Yeah sure thing

Thanks.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder everyone wants to move there if only the canadians pay tax! I thought everyone had to ī„…
You may need to read more carefully, I did not say 'Canadian's' and not everyone has to pay tax, so you thought wrong. Not such a smart arse as you thought eh! First nations don't by and large, non tax residents don't, visitors don't. What I said was 'Canadian tax payers', which encompasses anyone in Canada who pays taxes and subsequently supports any benefits paid out. I for one don't want CIC to let people in who are sucking up my tax dollars before even paying their dues.

Maybe Canada ain't that good either!

Last edited by Aviator; May 14th 2012 at 1:39 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ozaintthatgood's questions re: benefits and healthcare

You're not even here yet, and already asking about which benefits you're entitled to?

Old May 14th 2012, 3:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe the OP is looking for handouts, I just think the phraseology was a little off.

As for health care, I think some provinces charge you a monthly fee for healthcare, Alberta used to (around $30 for a family) but no longer does. Doctors visits and hospital are free but yo have to pay for things like prescriptions and auxiliaries (boots for sprained/broken ankles etc) usually if you have a full time job with benefits the benefits will cover a portion of that cost. OH's covers 80% of prescriptions and preventative dental and upto 50% of dental repairs, no orthodontics and no glasses. You can claim extra expenses when you file your taxes.

Child benefit is means based I think you can only get it after you have filed taxes, not sure as it was all a bit of a mess for us, I currently get $17 per month for a 17 year old, I have got more and I have got less.

Travel is expensive from some parts of Canada and lots of it will involve two plane rides, depending on where you decide to settle. If you narrow down your Provinces more helpful advice will be available.

BTW you should be able to survive well on a HD mechanics wage as they get paid a fair wage here. My OH is a mechanic (normal not HD) and we survive well.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Did the OP read the wiki? Most of this stuff is covered there, medicare, benefits. Doing research on these topics makes perfect sense to me, I dont know why the others are giving the OP hard time, maybe they just came here optimistically hoping for the best...

The biggie would be what chance is there of getting a visa to come here anyway.

The expense of air travel out of Canada is a frequent topic here. It may not be so far from anywhere, but high costs and only 2 weeks vacation for many puts the dampers on most peoples plans. Still, the US is nearby at least.

Last edited by iaink; May 14th 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
You're not even here yet, and already asking about which benefits you're entitled to?

She's not the first to do so and won't, I'm sure, be the last. It's the British way.