Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Owning US Property whilst living in Canada

Owning US Property whilst living in Canada

Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Default Owning US Property whilst living in Canada

Hi,
does anyone have experience of owning a US property and renting it out whilst living in Canada please?
Thanks,
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Owning US Property whilst living in Canada

Originally Posted by mcdavis
Hi,
does anyone have experience of owning a US property and renting it out whilst living in Canada please?
Thanks,
no direct experience but cant see a problem with it, you will have to pay tax on the rental income.

a pal of mine has a property in the states he doesnt rent it out, but uses his address there for buying stuff on line so he can avail of the lower US price
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:13 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks,
I have a house in Arizona. I don't rent it out. Because of the amount of time I spend there I do file a US Income Tax Return.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I do know someone in our extended family who is a Canadian national and resident who owns a property in Montana... he is liable for the usual local property taxes etc. but at this time doesn't rent out the property so there are no other complications.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We were going to look at condo's in Montana this summer, with a view to renting when we were not using but fell in love with something much closer - I just wanted the excuse to go to Montana a bit more BUT......

Anyhow, can't help with the tax implications as we didn't get that far ahead.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I have a house in Arizona. I don't rent it out. Because of the amount of time I spend there I do file a US Income Tax Return.
Just curious...Do you have US resident status too, or are you just a snowbird pushing the limits as a visitor while maintaining your canadian health coverage. How much time do you spend down there? (cant say I blame you, Arizona/ Utah / Nevada is stunning)
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:11 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Just curious...Do you have US resident status too, or are you just a snowbird pushing the limits as a visitor while maintaining your canadian health coverage. How much time do you spend down there? (cant say I blame you, Arizona/ Utah / Nevada is stunning)
No, I do not have US Resident Status. Yes, I am a snowbird and I do have to count my days as far as my Provincial Health Care goes. I leave here the last part of October. Depending on where else I might wander on the way it usually takes me at least six days. It's about 3,600 miles from here to there. I usually get there around November 1. I stay there until the end of March and then wander back in time to pay my income tax ! You are right, Arizona and Utah are stunning. My favorite place on earth is right there. I have been fortunate enough to visit lots of places but I much prefer that area. Unlike Yuma, where I live, it's not that warm in the winter because of the altitude of about 7,000'. I have done the Grand Canyon numerous times, in all of the seasons and it never, ever ceases to amaze me. The best way to see this masterpiece of mother nature is a raft ride down the Colorado River, through the Grand Canyon. Superb doesn't quite cut it. I have done that more than once. There are all levels of life in Arizona, from the desert to snow capped Humphries Peak at almost 13,000 feet. At the moment in Yuma it's 23 C with a forecast high of 33 C. Low of 19 C ! It's supposed to go to 35 C next week. Humidity is only 34% though ! You needed to know all that didn't you !!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
No, I do not have US Resident Status. Yes, I am a snowbird and I do have to count my days as far as my Provincial Health Care goes. I leave here the last part of October. Depending on where else I might wander on the way it usually takes me at least six days. It's about 3,600 miles from here to there. I usually get there around November 1. I stay there until the end of March and then wander back in time to pay my income tax ! You are right, Arizona and Utah are stunning. My favorite place on earth is right there. I have been fortunate enough to visit lots of places but I much prefer that area. Unlike Yuma, where I live, it's not that warm in the winter because of the altitude of about 7,000'. I have done the Grand Canyon numerous times, in all of the seasons and it never, ever ceases to amaze me. The best way to see this masterpiece of mother nature is a raft ride down the Colorado River, through the Grand Canyon. Superb doesn't quite cut it. I have done that more than once. There are all levels of life in Arizona, from the desert to snow capped Humphries Peak at almost 13,000 feet. At the moment in Yuma it's 23 C with a forecast high of 33 C. Low of 19 C ! It's supposed to go to 35 C next week. Humidity is only 34% though ! You needed to know all that didn't you !!
I might not have "needed" to know... but glad to find out all the same. Congrats on being able to afford such a lovely lifestyle.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks,
I hope you're not thinking about Florida... a lot of people have the experience of owning a US property and being unable to rent it out. Tread carefully.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

We're looking at New England - Florida's too hot!

Interesting to see the comments about Provincial Health Care - anyone know how this will work for Nova Scotia residents please?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:27 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by mcdavis;7658534[B
]We're looking at New England - Florida's too hot!
[/B]
Interesting to see the comments about Provincial Health Care - anyone know how this will work for Nova Scotia residents please?
So presumably you aren't looking for somewhere to spend the winter.

As far as health care goes it's basically six months less one day.

Last edited by Simon Legree; Jun 12th 2009 at 2:10 pm.