Overtime

Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Rahel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overtime

My partner has just been offered a job as a senior engineer in BC. At the time of telephone interview he was told that he is expected to work long hours. Is it considered as over time? Is there any regulations?
What is the standard annual leave in the construction sector?
What is the standard medical benefit?
Thank you.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:48 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overtime

Originally Posted by Rahel
My partner has just been offered a job as a senior engineer in BC. At the time of telephone interview he was told that he is expected to work long hours. Is it considered as over time? Is there any regulations?
Thank you.
I can't pretend to know anything about the construction or engineering sectors, but you may well find that, unions being quite strong here, there are laid down maximum hours per week. Grats on the job offer anyway!!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Sorry I may sound naive. Would international company employees are part of the trade union?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Sorry I may sound naive. Would international company employees are part of the trade union?
If your partner is a senior engineer e.g. a senior staff/management/professionl position then its highly unlikely the position will be unionised. Furthermore the long hours are highly likely to be expected and unpaid other than 'normal' salary. The only way to be sure is to ask the question of the potential employer.

No idea on vacation time in BC or this sector but 2 weeks min, 3 weeks if you are lucky and 4 weeks if you are really lucky/a good negotiator. Medical coverage generally yes on a cost shared basis with the employer. Medical coverage means prescription drugs, eye stuff, chiropractor plus dental. Actual serious medical going into hospital stuff is covered by the provincial health plan.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:11 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
I recall anything over 8 hours per day is OT at time plus half, over 12 hours is double time BUT be wary, management jobs are salaried hence not sure how this would work. Search for BC's WCB (Workers Compensation Board) and BC Provincial Gov't has list of HR/employment legislation. I have these links at work, sorry but I'm home right now. Anyhow 50 hours per week for management is the norm, say 7am to 5pm with 30 mins lunch and working breaks. Presenteeism and seniority of service are all to be highly admired in Western Canada yup it's very old skool like the 70's in Britain. There's no noveau-European warm wooly social/economic comfort blanket over here, starve and rot in the gutters if you like, few will worry about you or intervene, they look after #1 first and foremost.

Not sure if you understand the Western Canada/BC work attitude, this is the new wild west and attitudes towards worker protection are 'interesting' to say the least. Moaners and lightweights get shot at dawn, etc. Just becausd we have legislation, don't expect all and sundry to follow it, laws here are merely paperwork and waffle, to be interpreted as required by scammers, scallawags and conmen, not least the general public who having found a law to be an incovenience, disregard it at will.

Benefits, well search for Pacific Blue Cross and have a look at their plans, most decent employers get you standard medical plus extended medical and dental then after a year of service extended dental (includes orthodontics), no contribution from your wages, and covers spouse usually. Vacation leave is 2 weeks norm for non management, management from 3 to 5 weeks (all paid) depending on service. But in year one, no paid leave unless very lucky. Bonuses/incentives in private sector vary obviously but expect 10% min (gross) with or without some clear definition of how to achieve that bonus. I refer to industry in general, not construction per se of which I admit to having little knowledge apart from having the ability to bash things with hammers and what not.

Hope this all helps. Don't misinterpret the comments and long hours etc, in many sectors workers are very focused and work damned hard, but also balance this off with full-on leisure time - frankly I don'y know how people fit it all into a week.

So, it's just a less aggressive less macho less ra-ra-ra general North Americana work culture with better beer, Timbits, snowmobiles and BC bud.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 26th 2006 at 2:14 am.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Thank you.
Overtime laws vary by province. In Ontario everything over 44 hours is overtime for employees paid hourly. Employees on salary are expected to work as many hours as needed to finish the work/satisfy the boss and no overtime is ever paid.

I did a quick search and here are the laws for BC:
http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/esaguide/#5
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:37 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Overtime for a senior salaried (non hourly) position would be extremely unusual Im afraid. I think the term used is "exempt"

Better to clarify that now as it does happen sometimes, One salaried engineering job I had did pay overtime, but unless you were burning the midnight oil on an urgent project it was considered bad form to claim, but as I said, that was very much the exception to the norm here.

Standard hols used to be 2 weeks, although three is becoming more common now than it was, and if it very senior you might push for 4

Medical benefits vary. Most packages seem pretty standard, and seem to be non negotiable anyway.

80 to 100% of dental expenses up to preset levels (excluding braces etc) and 100% coverage for prescription drugs, theraputic massage, chiro, optical etc would be pretty normal for that level of job.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Rahel - I think it would be best for your partner to check with the company regarding the specific benefits, including overtime - as they seem to vary alot. I work in BC, in a senior, salaried post - and I do get paid overtime, as well as working a 9 day fortnight, and getting 15 days leave (and 11 stat days) from the get-go - so there doesn't necessarily seem to be a standard (I do work for the Government though...! )
Congrats on the offer!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you.
Rahel

I did a HR/managers course in Ontario which covered Canadian Labour Code. Professions such as Consulting engineers, Engineering Managers,doctors and architects fall outside the Labour Code. that means you are not restricted to 44 or 48 hour week that differences Provinces have. I also experience with Labour Lawyers as we had a problem getting staff to work more than 44 hour week.

I have hired a few Engineer who worked for consulting engineering companies, they said they were expected to put in a 60 hour week on a salary. I found being Chartered or PEng as it is in Canada. Light week was 50 hours and a heavy week was 70 hours. It did get an annual anything from 5 -10% of my salary.

As for holidays 2 weeks is common to start in Canada. Better companies will 3 week as a new employee. It something you maybe able to negotiate.

Medical is 80% dental, glasses and drug plan

hudd

Last edited by hudd; Jul 26th 2006 at 2:19 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for responding.
The job offer is good(money ofcourse) but the hours that my partner is expected to work is worrying me. He is expected to work most saturdays!!! I do understand the project is on tight schedule, but what about our personal life. Currently he works 38 hrs/week and has 4 weeks paid vacation.

I am so worried
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

The job offer is good(money ofcourse) but the hours that my partner is expected to work is worrying me. He is expected to work most saturdays!!! I do understand the project is on tight schedule, but what about our personal life. Currently he works 38 hrs/week and has 4 weeks paid vacation.

I am so worried
I think you and you partner have to decide what life do you want. I found its not all about making good money and working 50, 60 or even 70 hours a week. It does take it toll on your health, relationship with wife & kids. I ended up in hospital at age 38 due to working all the time in Canada. The doctor told me that my body decided it had enough of being pushed too hard.

You and your partner should sit down an write what good about his present job and whats bad. Whats good and bad about the job he has been offered. Then you have to make your choice. It will be hard.

We came back to the UK last year after living in 8 years Canada. An attraction in the UK is the Work balancing programmes many companies have in my industry. 37 hour work week and 25 days holiday was an attraction for us to come back.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I am so worried
There is more to life than money (and in BC the money wont go far anyway)

You need to sit down and decide what is right for you as a family.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:49 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There is more to life than money (and in BC the money wont go far anyway)
T'is very true, as I mentioned BC life/work is way different and based on what has been disclosed, you may find the private sector work attitude and values to be too much of a culture shock. 37.5 hours, 4 weeks vacation, no Saturdays sounds very comfortable, esp if the money goes further ?

Rich.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich_007
T'is very true, as I mentioned BC life/work is way different and based on what has been disclosed, you may find the private sector work attitude and values to be too much of a culture shock. 37.5 hours, 4 weeks vacation, no Saturdays sounds very comfortable, esp if the money goes further ?

Rich.
I found it a big culture shock moving to Alberta in 1997 from England. I worked 11 years in England after graduating and found jobs in both private ond public sectors jobs were very similar. 37.5 hour work week, OT, 4-5 weeks holidays.

It came a bit of a shock working the hours I did for a Safety Consulting company in Calgary. I can remember working all day in Calgary and was expected afterwards to drive to Fort Mc Murry. I think I went 54 hours without sleep. One week I worked 94 hours. All I was being paid was $40K a year.

Within 2 years I moved to Ontario, but still worked 50 hr+ work week.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:14 pm
bsb
Forum Regular

bsb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hudd
I found it a big culture shock moving to Alberta in 1997 from England. I worked 11 years in England after graduating and found jobs in both private ond public sectors jobs were very similar. 37.5 hour work week, OT, 4-5 weeks holidays.

It came a bit of a shock working the hours I did for a Safety Consulting company in Calgary. I can remember working all day in Calgary and was expected afterwards to drive to Fort Mc Murry. I think I went 54 hours without sleep. One week I worked 94 hours. All I was being paid was $40K a year.

Within 2 years I moved to Ontario, but still worked 50 hr+ work week.
I can attest to long hour even in the trades fields (millwright) but our benefits package from the union ( inc. pension) is damm good. we also get x2 for ALL overtime. for the most part trades earn way more than staff (I usually end up around 90k with up to 7 weeks off.

It is a norm in canada they work hard and play just as hard. but for the most part work is left @ work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.