Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Overpaid tax in 2013

Overpaid tax in 2013

Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:26 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overpaid tax in 2013

Hello all, I took up my first ever job in Canada in May 2013. Prior to signing the contract my employers sent me a tax breakdown calculation for my annual package to work out my take home. However when I rceived my last payslip of the year in December 2013 I relaised that I paid a lot more tax than what my employers calculated for me at the beginning. I have checked on various online tax calculators and they confirm that to be the case. I will of course know the actual situation once I receive my T4.

I was under the impression that I might have overpaid due to started working half way through the financial year and the numbers might come to 'normal' once the new tax year begin however, there hasnt been much difference in the January 2014 payslips as my take home hasnt changed much from the previous year even though my package is still the same. So its either the online tax calculators/my emplyers' initial assessment that was wrong, or our payroll/the taxman has got the basis of my tax calcultaions wrong in their system. Any advice on how can I sort it out please?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overpaid tax in 2013

Originally Posted by Edo
Hello all, I took up my first ever job in Canada in May 2013. Prior to signing the contract my employers sent me a tax breakdown calculation for my annual package to work out my take home. However when I rceived my last payslip of the year in December 2013 I relaised that I paid a lot more tax than what my employers calculated for me at the beginning. I have checked on various online tax calculators and they confirm that to be the case. I will of course know the actual situation once I receive my T4.

I was under the impression that I might have overpaid due to started working half way through the financial year and the numbers might come to 'normal' once the new tax year begin however, there hasnt been much difference in the January 2014 payslips as my take home hasnt changed much from the previous year even though my package is still the same. So its either the online tax calculators/my emplyers' initial assessment that was wrong, or our payroll/the taxman has got the basis of my tax calcultaions wrong in their system. Any advice on how can I sort it out please?
Your 2013 tax will be taken care of when you file taxes for 2013 this year. Your T4 will have the tax paid, you file your return and would get a refund if overpaid.

If your employer is using a payroll system, asked them to check they have your exemptions entered correctly and that you filled in your TD1 and TD1 provincial correctly.

This is the CRA online calculator some employers use. https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd...o?lang=English

The 'tax man' won't have it wrong, it will either be your employers payroll data that is wrong or their initial assessment. It is something your employer needs to sort out.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 27th 2014 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The tax tables Canadian employers have to use assume that the amount you are paid on each pay cheque is the same as every other pay cheque for the year. E.g. if you get $2,500 each half month the tax calculation will be based on $60,000 a year. It will work out tax on $60,000 a year then divide it by 24. It is not sophisticated enough to take into account that, if you only started work half way through a year, your marginal rates will be lower than someone who has worked all year. You will likely get a refund when your file your 2013 return.

It is expected that your net pay will be the same this year on each paycheque - now it should be about right for the whole year.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:50 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is expected that your net pay will be the same this year on each paycheque - now it should be about right for the whole year.
Well, still getting a lot less as compared to what the tax websites say or what my employers calculated it on the tax breakdown sheet last year
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

My guess is that you did overpaid because you started in May.

EI and CPP are taken as a fixed % and then max out partway through the year if you earn a decent wage. If you didnt max out contributions because of your "late start" your take home since Jan will be the same, until you max out EI ad CPP contibutions later in the year. After that your take home jumps for a while until the new year rolls around and hopefully everything comes out in the wash.

Once you do your taxes for 2013 you will get a rebate for the overpayment. If your think your deductions are way out to lunch you simply give a TD1 and TD1(P) form to your work so they can adjust how much is deducted at source in order to avoid making interest free loans to the government, but if you are single / no kids / no rrsp contributions the default values will work close enough for a 12 month period. If you have a wife / kids/ non or low earning partner etc and never filled out the TD1 forms then its possible that you have paid a lot more tax than you should / could have.

Why they do this uneven EI / CPP fixed percentage followed by 0% deduction over the year beats me.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 27th 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Except that EI and CPP will max out in (September or October?) and take home in the fall will jump by a few hundred a month, until its reset again in the new year.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

bear in mind that your personal exemptions are pro-rated so you might not have overpaid that much

at least that was the way it was

perhaps it has all changed
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:50 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Except that EI and CPP will max out in (September or October?) and take home in the fall will jump by a few hundred a month,
Yes, this also happened to me around October time and they stopped deducting EI and CPP. However the main taxes kept getting deducted as before and still are.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

I tried to calculate my tax on this website but the amounts it gave me dont seem to be right. Dooes anyone know any other reliable tax calculators please?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I tried to calculate my tax on this website but the amounts it gave me dont seem to be right. Dooes anyone know any other reliable tax calculators please?
That is the official one. You can't get any more reliable than that.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

File your tax return as soon as you can. If you get a significant reimbursement, check/amend TD1(the tax form you filled in for your employer when you started work) Bingo ! :-)
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
That is the right one (the only one that you can be sure is 100% correct), it is the CRA tax table employers use directly from CRA. If it differs to other ones, the other ones are wrong.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:08 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
That is the right one (the only one that you can be sure is 100% correct), it is the CRA tax table employers use directly from CRA. If it differs to other ones, the other ones are wrong.
But this calculator doesnt let you calculate taxes on your annual income. It only lets you calculate your monthly/weekly pay etc
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
But this calculator doesnt let you calculate taxes on your annual income. It only lets you calculate your monthly/weekly pay etc
You are receiving pay slips from your employer, right? Can't you extrapolate/estimate?

Also, contributory health insurance/union dues/pension deductions (to name but a few, depending on province) may skew your calculations.

I find Canadian (Federal & Provincial) income tax returns reasonably easy to complete, & if you have overpaid, you will be reimbursed, & able to readjust for the future once you receive 2013 notice.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:59 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You are receiving pay slips from your employer, right? Can't you extrapolate/estimate?
I did estimate it on the basis of my monthly payslips and the net amount slightly varies from what I got paid but thats not the issue. What I am actually trying to work out is what I should have paid on my yearly income, considering I didnt start working in Canada until May 2013.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.