Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:00 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

Originally Posted by Rete
A short sentence that stands alone can be misinterpreted from the meaning that the author attached to it.

However, a sentence that is part of a paragraph is harder to misconstrue or misinterprete because the meaning is held within the paragraph itself.
We are talking here of how things on BE are open to misinterpretation..........what you say may be accurate in the "outside world" for those who are masters of the English language, its construction and meaning, however, if you look through this website often enough, as I'm sure you do, you will see it is inhabited by hundreds of people who do not have the same grasp of English, and employ different thought processes.............so I'm simply pointing out how a simple sentence CAN be open to misinterpretation, and upset.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:27 am
Just Joined

InWinnipegTooLong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gillian_11
in 1998 my son, aged 25 moved to Vancouver and was working as a truck driver, loving his life in Canada, until he had an accident, which has left him pin a wheelchair. Obviously, he could not carry on driving! He returned to England on 2000, but there was nothing here for him. He could not even get accomodation near to family and friends, and early in 2002, he went back to Canada, settling eventually in Winnipeg. He unfortunately, had a collision with a taxi (yes, whilst in his wheelchair). which left his shoulder damaged, meaning that he is not as mobile as he once was. He has been trying to claim from Manitoba Oublic Insurance since 2002. They seem to deny every claim.
Now today he has just found out he is being DEPORTED on Tuesday 13th.
I have spoken to his lawyer in Winnipeg, who says that an appeal will not be considered, his medical funding has been stopped, and his status has been lifted ( whatever that means).
Does anyone know what happens when someone is deported, where do they fly them to, and what happens to the person.

Anyone considering immigration to Canada, Just don't become seriously disabled or you will be deported!!!!!:curse::c onfused:
After reading your post on weekend, I have been following the story in local paper.
Sounds like he is still here in Wpg, and there are a couple of local politicians who are taking up his cause. No one deserves to be treated poorly regardless of the circumstances. He did nothing to cause his injuries when he was entitled to work here.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:55 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
We are talking here of how things on BE are open to misinterpretation..........what you say may be accurate in the "outside world" for those who are masters of the English language, its construction and meaning, however, if you look through this website often enough, as I'm sure you do, you will see it is inhabited by hundreds of people who do not have the same grasp of English, and employ different thought processes.............so I'm simply pointing out how a simple sentence CAN be open to misinterpretation, and upset.
As the author of that sentence, I think it's fair to say anyone can interpret or twist anything that's written, just to stir the pot. As the person to whom it was addressed has not taken offence, nor should you.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:25 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
As the author of that sentence, I think it's fair to say anyone can interpret or twist anything that's written, just to stir the pot. As the person to whom it was addressed has not taken offence, nor should you.

I have NOT taken offence at all ......I was simply pointing out how a simple statement such as yours could lead to misunterpretation (just as you have misinterpreted mine! ). The use of those little emoticons to the right go some way to help steer people in the right direction.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:37 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

This hit the news here today, he has now been deported and back home at his mums.

So sad that this lady didn't get the support she wanted and needed.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:58 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinytears
This hit the news here today, he has now been deported and back home at his mums.

So sad that this lady didn't get the support she wanted and needed.
Yes...it's really sad...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:58 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Some news from yesterday may mean people previously rejeected could sue because of discrimination .. sure to help with the time lines.

Meanwhile, the NDP critic for persons with disabilities, Judy Wasylycia-Leis (Winnipeg North), has called on the federal government to end the Immigration Act's built-in discrimination against persons with disabilities.

"Kicking Chris Mason out of Canada because he became physically disabled is intolerable," Wasylycia-Leis said in a prepared statment. "We say we don't discriminate -- Canada has even signed international treaties pledging we won't -- yet the Immigration Act effectively says: 'Everyone is welcome in Canada except persons with disabilities. Get lost.' "

"Canadians don't support this approach and the government should move as quickly as possible to get rid of it."

When the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act was reviewed in 2001 and again in the last session of Parliament, Wasylycia-Leis unsuccessfully introduced a bill to exempt provincial nominees from the restrictions.

"Whether living here already or considering Canada as a home, we should be focusing on what people can contribute, not choosing certain conditions to target," she said. "Our outdated rules would even keep world-famous scientist Stephen Hawking from immigrating here. How many other talented, skilled newcomers are being turned away?"
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Some news from yesterday may mean people previously rejeected could sue because of discrimination .. sure to help with the time lines.
There is not a lot of sympathy in the comments from this CBC story http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/0...socialcomments

I don't know the full facts and don't want to be unsympathetic, but there must be more to this situation than we hear about.

Discrimination is not something to be condoned, however this person, disabled or not was not legally entitled to stay in Canada. Can we afford to open the flood gates to anyone who wants to live here and expects to be looked after by the state. The net result would be a reduction in our healthcare services and/or increased taxes.

Even if he had not been disabled he would not have been legally entitled to stay, his visa expired. If an exception were made because he was disabled, that would surely discriminate against those who don't have a disability. Many countries, including the UK have a similar policy.

This case also begs the question, if he was injured at work, why was he not receiving workers comp or injured in a road accident, would he not have been able to claim for injuries? There must have been some lawyer willing to take on the case.

I know for sure if I was in a similar situation my mom would be over here like a shot to help me out and sort out my affairs. Just a few observations, not being judgmental.