Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:26 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OUT OF MY MIND WITH WORRY

The latest..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...h_to_stay.html
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Maybe we should appologise to OP ?
What a shame, she was a genuine op in need of support
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Maybe we should appologise to OP ?
What a shame, she was a genuine op in need of support
That's the risk of posting on a Friday. There have been numerous Trolls so a newbie posting on a Friday gets treated badly on the assumption they're yet another one.

Originally Posted by fledermaus
maybe she wont post again because of the way she was answered.

I know of an instance of somone posting on here for help and support. They were pilloried, called a troll, etc etc. They never posted again.
I think the forum should require at least a few sensible posts in already open threads before a new forum member can start a new thread.

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
As Captain Hook says, things like this could prevent a genuine member obtaining advice that they need in the future as people won't be bothered to reply.
Does these mean we'll have to start being polite to Trolls.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
That's the risk of posting on a Friday. There have been numerous Trolls so a newbie posting on a Friday gets treated badly on the assumption they're yet another one.

I think the forum should require at least a few sensible posts in already open threads before a new forum member can start a new thread.

Some people may not have the opportunity to post a few sensible posts before they need to ask for genuine advice. Also some trolls start off as sensible posters too and then just degenerate.

The only answer is for forum members to post advice if they think they can in cases like this and leave it at that. If they do believe its a troll ignore them. Thats what trolls want, lots of posts to start arguments, controversies etc.

People who have been rude to the OP could apologise but I don't believe it will get read by the OP. I hope it makes them think twice about wasting time being rude to trolls again.

Last edited by Erica P; Jan 13th 2009 at 4:48 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:51 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

It's very sad, but no need for anyone to beat themselves up over this. Quite a few posters were supportive. But it was the last line in the OP's original posting that got people's backs up and suspicious, because it simply wasn't true. However, I believe he would be better off back in the UK with his family.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
But it was the last line in the OP's original posting that got people's backs up and suspicious, because it simply wasn't true. However, I believe he would be better off back in the UK with his family.
Agreed on both points.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Good spot. Maybe I'll have a bit more faith in first time friday posters in future.

I do feel sorry for the guy, his life is obviously here now, but still stand by what I said. I find it interesting what the article said about the way the disabled are treated in the motherland and the lack of accessable housing.

I also agree with those who said the the racist nonsense in the original post didnt help the cause.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Good spot. Maybe I'll have a bit more faith in first time friday posters in future.

I do feel sorry for the guy, his life is obviously here now, but still stand by what I said. I find it interesting what the article said about the way the disabled are treated in the motherland and the lack of accessable housing.

I also agree with those who said the the racist nonsense in the original post didnt help the cause.
I found it interesting and misleading. So few houses/buildings here are accessible. Almost all buildings in the UK have to be conform to the DDA, and that just doesn't seem to happen round here. Just the way most Canadian homes are designed doesn't make adding a wheelchair ramp very easy.

He will go back to the UK and be eligible for housing, health care, and benefits. He won't be as badly off as he says he will.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:02 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel bad for the guy, but can't help think there's been many mistakes along the way..most notably having his first application for PR rejected due to it being incomplete.

It's seems now he's unable to work because of his status/medical situation, and on social assistance due to Manitoba Public Insurance refusing to pay out his claim for an injury sustained in Manitoba. (something MPI are notorious for-google Steven Fletcher MP.)

Maybe a solution would be to allow the guy to work and thus not be a "burden" on the system.

Latest from this frigid tundra is the guy is now seeking church refugue, which I'm not sure is the best way to solve the problem.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Latest from this frigid tundra is the guy is now seeking church refuge, which I'm not sure is the best way to solve the problem.
Well it's working for Laibar Singh, the paralysed Sikh gentleman in a wheelchair in Vancouver who entered Canada illegally on a false passport.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:24 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Well it's working for Laibar Singh, the paralysed Sikh gentleman in a wheelchair in Vancouver who entered Canada illegally on a false passport.
It did for awhile, helped by anarchy when YVR was basically shut down by demonstrators when they tried to put him on a plane. But he's gone now, of his own accord.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:28 pm
Banned

I found it interesting and misleading. So few houses/buildings here are accessible. Almost all buildings in the UK have to be conform to the DDA, and that just doesn't seem to happen round here. Just the way most Canadian homes are designed doesn't make adding a wheelchair ramp very easy.

He will go back to the UK and be eligible for housing, health care, and benefits. He won't be as badly off as he says he will.
When my Mum was in a wheelchair, we found most places back in the UK less accessible than here. Especially shops and public toilets. In fact, I tried to take her into a restaurant back there in a mall, and they wouldn't allow the wheelchair in. Talk about discrimination - they said it would be dangerous for the other clientele. My husband spent a couple of years in a wheelchair, and just about everywhere here is wheelchair friendly. Huge difference. Possibly it depends on where you live, but we are fortunate here in BC/lower mainland.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

When my Mum was in a wheelchair, we found most places back in the UK less accessible than here. Especially shops and public toilets. In fact, I tried to take her into a restaurant back there in a mall, and they wouldn't allow the wheelchair in. Talk about discrimination - they said it would be dangerous for the other clientele. My husband spent a couple of years in a wheelchair, and just about everywhere here is wheelchair friendly. Huge difference. Possibly it depends on where you live, but we are fortunate here in BC/lower mainland.
Thats totally illegal. The only legislation that tops the DDA is health and safety, but in that case they can't use that as an excuse as they should have made alterations to the building. I am not sure how a wheelchair can be dangerous, was it the knives attached to the wheels? Boudicca style

I am surprised at the access around here. I notice it because my BFF in the UK uses a wheelchair and you get in the way of looking for access. Things like there may be a loo, but the door handle or the flush can't be reached. The doors may not have automatic openings on them, etc etc. As far as hearing loss things go, I have not come across an induction loop system anywhere yet, the nearest cinema where I can watch a movie with captioning is over an hour away.

In the UK I shopped/ate/theatre/cinema in MK mostly, so no access problems at all.

From your posts and mine Ontario does seem backward to BC in many ways
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... and just about everywhere here is wheelchair friendly....Possibly it depends on where you live, but we are fortunate here in BC/lower mainland.
I consider NB is quite backwards in many ways, but disabled access is good, with many automatic doors, special cubicles in washrooms etc

Kerbs are lowered not just at crossings but street corners too. The supermarkets have special shopping carts and/or wheelchairs...even mobility scooters for customer use.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:29 pm
Banned

Thats totally illegal. The only legislation that tops the DDA is health and safety, but in that case they can't use that as an excuse as they should have made alterations to the building. I am not sure how a wheelchair can be dangerous, was it the knives attached to the wheels? Boudicca style

I am surprised at the access around here. I notice it because my BFF in the UK uses a wheelchair and you get in the way of looking for access. Things like there may be a loo, but the door handle or the flush can't be reached. The doors may not have automatic openings on them, etc etc. As far as hearing loss things go, I have not come across an induction loop system anywhere yet, the nearest cinema where I can watch a movie with captioning is over an hour away.

In the UK I shopped/ate/theatre/cinema in MK mostly, so no access problems at all.

From your posts and mine Ontario does seem backward to BC in many ways
The one good thing I found in the UK for disabled people was the ease in borrowing wheelchairs or motorized scooters at the big malls (the same one where the restaurant is, by the way). Just sign on the dotted line and away we went with mother - who ran amok in the lingerie department on a motorized scooter. She couldn't find the brake. Now that was dangerous, never again. After that it was back to the regular wheelchair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.