Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our worst nightmare come true

Our worst nightmare come true

Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our worst nightmare come true

Yesterday (Monday) I did what I'd been meaning to do for months and that was send off for my 16 year old son's new passport. I sent it "signed for" delivery which should get to Ottawa in a few days. Along with his application is my passport, as he was a child listed on mine, and his Canadian PR card for further photo ID - all info required by the BHC has been sent. At 4.30am we got the dreaded phone call to say that my lovely dear father in law died. We are all in bits, but I'm even more in bits because it appears I am now stuck here and hubby will have to fly back on his own. Can anyone suggest what emergency methods we can apply for with the B.H.C....I've looked at the website and it mentions nothing about "emergency passport or visas".

I'm grieving terribly for my father in law and I feel bitter to have to stay here and not be there for my husband and his family.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our worst nightmare come true

So sorry to hear your news.

Call the consular services people in Ottawa on 613 237 1303 - they're open now.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:40 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, that really is bad. I'm so sorry to hear that.

I don't know what you can do. You could try phoning the BHC in Ottawa and speaking with them. Maybe since you've just sent it in they can get it directed straight back out or have it done on a fast emergency basis. They can do this if absolutely needed, and quite frankly that's part of the point of the embassies and consulates for citizens of their countries. As soon as their lines open call them and speak to a person. If they can't give you an answer ask to be put through to someone who can.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I can't offer any advice but I can offer both mine and Mr MMC's condolences and best wishes
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
So sorry to hear your news.

Call the consular services people in Ottawa on 613 237 1303 - they're open now.
Thank you so much.....I rang the number, got through to the emergency section and spoke to a lovely sypathetic woman who has taken details of the letter arriving and providing we can get a copy of the death certificate faxed to Ottawa, she will ensure the passport gets done quickly. I just hope it will be in time.

Thank you for all your well wishes xx
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ruby,
when we was here on a work visa my sons english passport ran out so we sent it to Ottawa to be renewed on the monday only to be told on the tuesday that our work visa that we were extending needed all our passports by the following monday. I spoke to a very nice man at the ambassy and would you believe my sons new passport arrived 4 days after sending. so try not to worry too much.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:14 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Yesterday (Monday) I did what I'd been meaning to do for months and that was send off for my 16 year old son's new passport. I sent it "signed for" delivery which should get to Ottawa in a few days. Along with his application is my passport, as he was a child listed on mine, and his Canadian PR card for further photo ID - all info required by the BHC has been sent. At 4.30am we got the dreaded phone call to say that my lovely dear father in law died. We are all in bits, but I'm even more in bits because it appears I am now stuck here and hubby will have to fly back on his own. Can anyone suggest what emergency methods we can apply for with the B.H.C....I've looked at the website and it mentions nothing about "emergency passport or visas".

I'm grieving terribly for my father in law and I feel bitter to have to stay here and not be there for my husband and his family.
This happened to me when my Mum died. I had sent my passport for renewal early, because we were going back to the UK in a couple of months. Came the phone call - she was very ill. Call the consulate, they will do whatever they can to help. Unfortunately, in my case I wasn't able to get back there in time. The only comfort I can hang onto is I would have been over the Atlantic when she died, had I had my passport, instead of on the phone to the hospital. It is, indeed, the worst nightmare, and my heart goes out to you.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I got my passport back in about 10 days with no emergerncy attached.

Take care
L2S
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read your thread, seems like it's the season for bad news. Fingers crossed you can get the passport back PDQ.
Sharon
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Very sorry to hear your news - my sympathies and hugs xxx.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

A little update.....

Spoke to lady at BHC again to tell her she should receive the faxed death certificate by tomorrow morning, and she and her colleagues are vigilant for our application arriving in the mail. All being well, it will get there tomorrow also and they can start to process the passport.....it's all so very nail-biting, not knowing if it's going to come back in time before the funeral next Monday. Crikey, it's scary to think that $4,000 has to be spent for one weeks visit back to the UK when it's not even for a happy occasion.......Oh the joys of being an Expat
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
A little update.....

Spoke to lady at BHC again to tell her she should receive the faxed death certificate by tomorrow morning, and she and her colleagues are vigilant for our application arriving in the mail. All being well, it will get there tomorrow also and they can start to process the passport.....it's all so very nail-biting, not knowing if it's going to come back in time before the funeral next Monday. Crikey, it's scary to think that $4,000 has to be spent for one weeks visit back to the UK when it's not even for a happy occasion.......Oh the joys of being an Expat
I do hope it all works out for you and please accept Mrs_P's and my condolences to you and your family.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your news, I hope you manage to get your passports on time.

Sharon
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:25 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sending you all my best wishes during this sad time.

Hope all goes well with your passports and you all get back to the UK soon.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:16 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sending hugs and best wishes from us two as well

So sorry to hear of the death of your father in law and I truly hope you get your passports back in time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.