Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our story... Stay

Our story... Stay

Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our story... Stay

Was going to write a lengthy reply but colchar has saved me the trouble. Have to agree in that most of the issues you have listed are either fairly trivial or, as in the case of car insurance or GP's, certainly not insurmountable.
Could it be a case of homesickness kicking in after the 1st year? I used to complain about certain things not matching up to the UK but, in time, you adapt and it is also worth contemplating the things in the UK that used to irritate you because they will still be there if you go back.
Is a year truly long enough to decide to reverse your initial life-changing decision?
That said, if you are both truly unhappy, then life is short and you have to go with your gut instinct.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

good luck. My only cavaet (sp) is this: you may find that even though you don't like it, Canada has changed you, and you will inevitably find things different in the UK to how you remember. I hope you find peace whatever you decide.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
good luck. My only cavaet (sp) is this: you may find that even though you don't like it, Canada has changed you, and you will inevitably find things different in the UK to how you remember. I hope you find peace whatever you decide.

agree ... cos once you the migrant go through that first door, your life takes on a whole different meaning and in some cases a different purpose. Going back to the UK one is likely to see things a whole lot differently than when you left - in fact your eyes may open & see all that is wrong with the UK not unlike when you lived in Canada always comparing.

Sometimes the move away then back is like giving ones head a shake - that you'll become more assertive, take less for granted, see how small minded closed shop the UK is. Or you could move back, settle in as though you'd never left.

The UK is a wee overcrowded island with attitude IMO
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:35 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people think they're fed up with the UK when really they're just bored with the rut they're in.

Perhaps a move back would provide the impetus to change what you didn't like about your old life in the UK and focus more on the things you can now see that are important to you.

If you do go back, don't just fall into the same rut you left... move somewhere completely different. Approach movng back to the UK as you would moving to another country... research different areas for what would suit your needs best, and treat the move back as starting with a clean slate.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

Should I Stay or should I go?

But seriously..

If your only experience of Canada before you emigrated was a couple of weeks vacation (and probably not to where you are actually living now) then it isn't suprising that you feel agitated and dissatisfied with life here.

You can find 101 reasons to dislike Canada (or the GTA) just as you can find 101 reasons to love it. The same could be said for the UK!

If you really want to give Canada a chance, then change the area you are living in, change your jobs and start 'living the life' rather than finding fault with little things that really don't matter in the big scheme of things.

If you don't want to give Canada a chance, then admit to yourselves you made a mistake - that it's not for you - and go back. There is nothing wrong with returning as long as you are 100% convinced that it is the right decision... at least you gave it a go!

Why did you leave the UK? Were you dissatisfied with your life there? Were there aspects of the UK that you disliked?

Perhaps going back for a visit would settle your minds?

The reality of returning to the UK, going back to no jobs and starting from scratch again may be very different to the life you had before - and a lot less satisfying.

Unfortunately, the longer you prevaricate the less likely it is that you will settle anywhere.

Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:14 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

You may not like it back there now either, in some ways it is worse, and one of the things I don't miss are the sarcasm, narrow mindedness, judgemental mentality, arrogance, and ignorance. Here I find it far more friendly, yes there is the odd rude type here too but they will exist everywhere no matter what country.

Here you can go skiing without leaving the country and do most sports within your locality, for free or cheap.

Free local calls, you don't get that in the UK do you? Same for bills included in the rent, I don't pay any bills, my electric, heat, hot water, car parking, is all included in my rent and that's not much either, I don't like being ripped off so am happy where I am now.

I am with public mobile, unlimited texts, calls and Canada wide calling for $25 a month and no contract or fees for 911.

I am with wind for internet access at $35 pcm.

I have free TV as I bought an antenna from the source online as most rave reviews from Canadians did too, and the reception is as good as cable, I get under 20 channels and relevant ones, who watches 250 channels anyway?

I love camping over here with the tent, clean nice campsites and consistent, and friendly, very friendly.

I love the healthy lifestyle. I love all the fresh fruit and vegetables, another thing that really stood out with me on moving here.

I like that you can drive N, S, E, or W and feel like you have escaped far, for a break.

The friendliness stood out here for me too.

I don't like the rude aggressive drivers, but sadly they are everywhere not just in Canada.

Last edited by Supermum1; Aug 27th 2013 at 3:07 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:51 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Number plates you can't read and no system behind issue of plates.

This is a joke yeh

You have a strange and warped sense of humor pal,
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:56 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think those of you picking holes in the OPs post are missing the point.

She's unhappy here, hasn't settled and probably can't really define the reason. When you are unhappy the trivial irritates the eff out of you. Every bloody thing gets on your nerves.

I know cos I was there.

It's grossly unfair and lacking in compassion to post about how wonderful your little spot of Canada is while putting her down for her post.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Number plates though ?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
When you are unhappy the trivial irritates the eff out of you. Every bloody thing gets on your nerves.

Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I think those of you picking holes in the OPs post are missing the point.

She's unhappy here, hasn't settled and probably can't really define the reason. When you are unhappy the trivial irritates the eff out of you. Every bloody thing gets on your nerves.

I know cos I was there.

It's grossly unfair and lacking in compassion to post about how wonderful your little spot of Canada is while putting her down for her post.

Excellent post.

I certainly have my English rose glasses on at the moment and everything here irritates me, the leaves are turning already and there is a frosty chill inn the air in the mornings and late evenings already, it's just not right. It took 7.5 years for this to hit me, I think because my OH is so much better, I can let myself think again. However winters are my OH's worst enemy so I think that is adding to my concerns. I was asked yesterday by an English couple who are visiting their family, 'aah, you'd never go back would you?' Yep, yes I would was my reply, they were horrified. Would I really go back? I have no idea, right now I am unhappy with my lot though.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Excellent post.

I certainly have my English rose glasses on at the moment and everything here irritates me, the leaves are turning already and there is a frosty chill inn the air in the mornings and late evenings already, it's just not right. It took 7.5 years for this to hit me, I think because my OH is so much better, I can let myself think again. However winters are my OH's worst enemy so I think that is adding to my concerns. I was asked yesterday by an English couple who are visiting their family, 'aah, you'd never go back would you?' Yep, yes I would was my reply, they were horrified. Would I really go back? I have no idea, right now I am unhappy with my lot though.
My heart genuinely goes out to anybody not happy where they are. I hope it isn't complacency on the part of those who are happy though. If you're lucky enough to settle into the lifestyle, people, weather etc then good for you. If you miss friends, family, takeaway, MOTD - whatever, Canada is an EXTREMELY big place to be lonely or unhappy in.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Excellent post.

the leaves are turning already and there is a frosty chill inn the air in the mornings and late evenings already, it's just not right.l:
Bloody good post bats, and I think there are a number of us on here, who have been in those shoes too.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see Autumn back where it should be. Right now, in New Zealand it's Spring. Spring in August, I ask you !

The long slow grind towards Christmas in summer is something that gets me panicking because it's just so wrong, it's all wrong.

Hopefully, what with this Christmas being the third Christmas in the summer, I'll start just laughing at how awful it is !

Christmas still falls on December 25, I remind myself of that.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

taraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nice

Babsycloony, I totally understand, I think we have an idea of what it will be like when we move here, and sometimes it's very different. When I say I'm home sick, I am told be people "NO you are missing people, not the place". Well that may be how they feel, but I miss the my life in the uk, as well as the people, family and friends and the support I had.

People may tell you to leave the city, they like the smaller towns more, but each has it's own set of things to overcome. I honestly would move back to the UK at the drop of a hat. The thought of cheap good food in supermarkets, choice of tv, cheap mobile phones....etc (the list could go on and on) BUT, this is our dream, as it was yours, and throwing the towel in too early could be a wrong choice??
I hope you come to a decision that is right for you, take advice on, but ultimately it is Your life and Your choice.
Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.