Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our shipping experience - The Moving Partnership

Our shipping experience - The Moving Partnership

Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our shipping experience - The Moving Partnership

Brings back memories! This was 2 1/2 years ago!
Attached Thumbnails Our shipping experience - The Moving Partnership-001.jpg   Our shipping experience - The Moving Partnership-006.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Izzi

I echo Izzi's post pretty much exactly.

Our container also arrived "early" and has caused some problems as our landlord left his furniture in for us until mid July when we expected customs clearance. They wouldn't hold on to it unless we paid around $550 for storage so we've had to take it and we are now sitting in a house with double furniture.

We certainly didn't get the full unpack service which was promised - they were in a rush to be off, but I will let them off that as they hoofed everything up to a 3rd floor attic so we could store it (in 25 degree heat), and they didn't have to do that. A couple of bits of damage - like Izzi, the things we really worried about (dark stained beds scratched and dented). Ironically, the £1 IKEA glasses survived unscathed with slightly dodgy packing to say the least. Like Izzi, lots and lots of packaging to get rid of.....

We've sent some other stuff groupage with MP, so hopefully that will be ok as it is antiques. I'll be supervising unwrapping very carefully as I suspect over enthusiastic ripping open with Stanley knives was the problem with our bedroom furniture (though was strenuously denied).

Also insured with LP with £250 excess, so for the cost of some dark oak stain I guess we will just live with it. Could have been a lot worse I guess.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:20 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

So. Both people that have used the moving partnership have sustained damage to their furniture, is this acceptable? Why do you feel the need to post good reviews about the moving partnership when you have both had damage? Beats me.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Every company I read about had reviews where people had damage to furniture. MP used the same company in Halifax - Tippetts - as every other shipping company told me they would use. Given that Tippetts then outsourced to a local Halifax company for delivery, I presume they would have done the same no matter which UK company I had gone with. I think the damage happened in Halifax, when goods were put into their warehouse out of the container. That would/could have happened with whichever company we had paid in the UK. My review was not an all-out glowing report, I was trying to give a perspective of exactly what happened during the process, which I think I did. I hadn't read anywhere else about MP deliveries having any damage, which is why I made a point of saying it. But I read about a lot worse damage / experiences with removals guys concerning the other companies I was considering, so all in all I'm pretty happy. I'd have liked no damage at all, but I wonder what the odds are of that... Had I taken insurance with MP, I would have claimed for the damage because they offered no excess!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
So. Both people that have used the moving partnership have sustained damage to their furniture, is this acceptable? Why do you feel the need to post good reviews about the moving partnership when you have both had damage? Beats me.
Didn't think mine was a good review either - put both good and bad points.

Reviews are subjective anyway - one person would worry about something that someone else wouldn't.

As Izzi said, with the excess on the insurance being what it is there's no sense worrying about damage which would fall under the insurance excess. We both accepted that risk on the basis that other insurance premiums far exceeded the £250 + LP's charge. I've reported the damage it to MP so they are aware - incidentally no response as yet - but I think we'll just be down Home Hardware for some stain as I've got more things to worry about right now.

One other thing I'd mention is some crazy packing on behalf of MP - majority is ok so I think this is last minute stuff chucked in a bit randomly. Still looking for my daughter's second pillow - found one in one box, the duvet in another... who knows where my boy's duvet cover is...

And note that they will label things as per the room they found them in - so my daughter is currently surrounded by boxes of "storage" items as we had them all in her bedroom in Scotland.

These last 2 points apply to all removers I've used - just worth thinking about for forward planning, but they are not unique to MP in my experience.