Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our recent trip & Police-related posts

Our recent trip & Police-related posts

Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:48 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Question Our recent trip & Police-related posts

Hi Ladies & Gents,

Its now a week since my husband Marc and I returned from a 25 day trip to Canada. We arrived at Vancouver and did Vancouver, Seattle (only for a day and only as he wanted to go to Cabela's!) Vancouver Island, Campbell River, Nanaimo, Chilliwack, suburbs or Vancouver; New Westminster/Surrey, Kamloops (for a large portion of our time), Vernon, Shuswap, Banff, Calgary.

What a great time we had. Clinging onto that last bit of jet lag. Ha

Anyhow. Now, we are trying to establish the best way of emigrating. It is quite daunting really. I'm a Police Officer, husband Marc is a joiner. No kids. 2 dogs.

I don't think Marc's the problem here, its me. You can't join Vancouver PD unless you're a Citizen; you can't join the RCMP as an officer OR a civvy unless you're a citizen. You CAN join the Calgary PD as a non-citizen but not sure we want to live in/around Calgary.

We have our eye on the Kamlopps / Kelowna area at the moment to be honest, having spent a while living with our friends in Kamloops while over there.

I did go thru numerous pages of the forum, looking for Police-related posts but was going cross-eyed after about page 9, so apologies if any of this has been previoulsy covered.

The reccy trip was invaluable, to gain a basic understanding of Canada, the people etc. It confirmed our previous pipe-dream that we DEF DO WANT TO EMIGRATE THERE! We have the beginnings of a real friends and contacts network in the Kamloops area so it would make sense at the mo, to start lookin around there

Does anyone have any suggestions of jobs/roles that a serving British cop could look at doing? Any suggestions of companies / firms? I've been employed by the Police for 6 yrs as an officer and 3yrs previous as a civvy. Prior to this, i'm not really qualified for much else, however i'm not yet 30! Still young enough to learn and be adaptable.

Any suggestions or general chit chat would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Katie
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:45 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our recent trip & Police-related posts

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Its now a week since my husband Marc and I returned from a 25 day trip to Canada. We arrived at Vancouver and did Vancouver, Seattle (only for a day and only as he wanted to go to Cabela's!) Vancouver Island, Campbell River, Nanaimo, Chilliwack, suburbs or Vancouver; New Westminster/Surrey, Kamloops (for a large portion of our time), Vernon, Shuswap, Banff, Calgary.

Anyhow. Now, we are trying to establish the best way of emigrating. It is quite daunting really. I'm a Police Officer, husband Marc is a joiner. No kids. 2 dogs.

I don't think Marc's the problem here, its me. You can't join Vancouver PD unless you're a Citizen; you can't join the RCMP as an officer OR a civvy unless you're a citizen. You CAN join the Calgary PD as a non-citizen but not sure we want to live in/around Calgary.

We have our eye on the Kamlopps / Kelowna area at the moment to be honest, having spent a while living with our friends in Kamloops while over there.

I did go thru numerous pages of the forum, looking for Police-related posts but was going cross-eyed after about page 9, so apologies if any of this has been previoulsy covered.

The reccy trip was invaluable, to gain a basic understanding of Canada, the people etc. It confirmed our previous pipe-dream that we DEF DO WANT TO EMIGRATE THERE! We have the beginnings of a real friends and contacts network in the Kamloops area so it would make sense at the mo, to start lookin around there

Does anyone have any suggestions of jobs/roles that a serving British cop could look at doing? Any suggestions of companies / firms? I've been employed by the Police for 6 yrs as an officer and 3yrs previous as a civvy. Prior to this, i'm not really qualified for much else, however i'm not yet 30! Still young enough to learn and be adaptable.

Thanks a lot, Katie

You are mistaken, you can join VPD as a non citizen (must be a PR though), but you cannot join the RCMP unless you are a citizen.

http://vancouver.ca/police/recruitin...quirements.htm
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:49 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If you're both under 30 one of the quickest routes to get over there could be BUNAC visas. They are only a one-off work visa that lasts for a year but give you an opportunity to test the waters and do more research, and perhaps find an employer to sponsor you for permanent residence during that year:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:21 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Thanks a lot, Katie
I wouldn't be too quick to write off the police, although it may take a while. You may wish to chose another route first. DannyB is correct you may apply as a landed immigrant to the VPD - RCMP does require you to be a citizen (the interior of BC is policed by the RCMP by the way).

Outside of the RCMP in BC, there are a numerous smaller municipal police forces - New Westminster, Port Moody, West Vancouver, Delta etc...

I joined the rcmp when I was 31 so, there's certainly time. I would look at getting landed here the quickest way that you can. The other alternative is to gain employment with the Edmonton Police or Calgary Police who will take you as part of the provincial nominee route. You could, if you wished, transfer to a BC force later ....

Good luck
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
If you're both under 30 one of the quickest routes to get over there could be BUNAC visas. They are only a one-off work visa that lasts for a year but give you an opportunity to test the waters and do more research, and perhaps find an employer to sponsor you for permanent residence during that year:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/
1. Bunac, they are closed till December for non students.
2. The only occupation that comes close to joiner on the "list of 38" is 7215 Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades. Unless the spouse can demonstrate 1 year of supervisor experience or contracting, then he doesn't qualify under FSW.
3. The OP might, qualify under the BC PNP program, if he was able to obtain a job offer and the employer was willing to get an LMO and then PNP certificate.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
3. The OP might, qualify under the BC PNP program, if he was able to obtain a job offer and the employer was willing to get an LMO and then PNP certificate.
Minor quibble. BC PNP doesn't require LMO and, if successful, BC will provide a letter of support to get a work permit without the LMO.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESarge
Minor quibble. BC PNP doesn't require LMO and, if successful, BC will provide a letter of support to get a work permit without the LMO.
I think that's a major quibble!! Would be excellent. If not the police though, and it might be a way in, what about security of the prison service etc...?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
I think that's a major quibble!! Would be excellent. If not the police though, and it might be a way in, what about security of the prison service etc...?
Ah but you still require the job offer first in BC, before the employer can apply for PNP certificate, I would think that there are very few employers who will apply for the Certificate where the prospective employee has not worked for them.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 9:09 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Thank-you very much to everyone for their replies so far. They are very much appreciated. There's certainly much to think about!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Out of curiosity, have you got your eye on Kelowna/Kamloops just because you have friends there or would you consider those areas regardless ?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 8:56 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

Talking Re: Our recent trip & Police-related posts

Hiya, we had never been to kamloops prior to this trip. The fact that our friends live there & we had some great times getting to know many of their friends and families is a big plus point for us. Despite this, we did like kamloops as a place too. Maybe not as much as the beautiful parts of Vancouver island we saw, say, or as much in terms of scenery as the Rockies, but otherwise for lifestyle, we think, why not? 40 mins from Sun Peaks during the winter season, something like 2000 lakes within a 90 min drive for awesome kayaking, the Thompson rivers for fishing, oodles of mountain biking trails to choose from, to name a few endearing features...
Do you have any thoughts regarding the place?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Hi, yes, we think Kelowna/Kamloops are lovely places although i haven't been there for 10 years plus. We we're looking to this area, planned a recce but went over to Windsor instead, mainly because we have friends there and compared to K and K, property is much better value.

However, i'm led to believe that the work situation in Windsor is dire so we're looking at going to check out K and K later this year, probably September.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:19 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

ah right, that's excellent. We spent our time in kamloops & never actually made it to kelowna but we are regretting this as many people later, said what a great place it was. Had a great experience at kamloops overall & too at the airport, in case you were considering internal flights. Got a good deal with westjet too.
When I think back to it, being treated as part of a big family...really want to be back there soon!