Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our life in Alberta so far!

Our life in Alberta so far!

Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road
Default Our life in Alberta so far!

Well we moved April 2006 to Edmonton, I worked for an oil company, good job, great money but work is a subject to being able to move the rigs, and if the ground is wet, or soft, you cant!

We were staying with friends who put up with us living there for a lot longer than anticipated! We bought some land, then sold the land as getting a builder was tough! Bought a house, changed my job to Corrections officer with the government, wife worked at the University hospital. Then I got another job! Also with the government as a Transport Officer, good job, reasonable money and secure. Sold house and rented another in Edmonton while we looked for another.

Wife left work as we found out she was pregnant! We were over the moon! But a word of warning for you ladies on the pill, it doesnt seem to work as well out here! ha ha ha. Found a house in Ponoka, an hour from Edmonton, fantastic place! The stampede is terrific! Wife had the baby, the first Canadian in the family and a very enjoyable experience! We actually preferred it to my wifes pregnancy in UK, but I suppose its just a bit different thats all!

So in 17 months we have moved three times, and I have had three jobs. Crikey I only had one job in the UK for the last 20 years! ha ha.

I would say buying a house is a much simpler and quicker process here, selling is quick too, but you can pay a lot of fees. There is lots of work here, put yourself about and sell yourself.

We do much more as a family than we did in UK, there are marked differences, Canada is almost quaint,a bit behind the times.( if you dont believe me go to some towns outside the city.) Its not cheap here by any means, everything costs, but the quality of life is better, in of course, my humble opinion! Ok we dont get as much Leave, but lots of bank holidays!

So just to say, a good move for our family. Friends and family keep in touch, good old MSN!!!! I have even learnt to ski! Ok well thats a stretch, I can sort of get down without breaking something!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our life in Alberta so far!

Glad to hear that things are going well for you, Bob. Congratulations on your new Canadian. Many thanks for the update.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Another good experience post. It's so nice to hear, it also really helps us know we're doing the right thing when we have our 'wobbles'.

Thanks for posting

Sharon
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

I am very happy that life has gone really well for you all.

Good Luck in the Future

Karla x x x
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:46 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Woah, you have beeb busy, Congratulations on the baby too

Nice to read happy experiences and the majority of them are.

Good luck with the skiing
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Despite the move to Canada, then 3 jobs and the housing stuff you sound remarkably chilled!!?? Am pleased you like Alberta as we should be going to Edmonton area early next year, I may even be working at the Uni hospital myself (should find out soon)
Well done again though!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

Great news, glad to hear you are all settled in and congratulations on the new baby.

TG
Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new Canadian in the family - and best wishes for continued mellowness !

Originally Posted by bobhope
I have even learnt to ski! Ok well thats a stretch, I can sort of get down without breaking something!
I too aim to improve on my "god, I-can-now-stay-upright" to "actually-getting-down-the-hill-with-some-semblance-of-grace-and-style"
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Great post, thanks very much. Good to hear how you are getting on, and congrats on the new family member.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:51 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, and thanks for the update!

I think one has to realise that you might not fall straight into the right job, right house, right location when you first arrive in a brand new country. It takes time to work out where you fit best, and we shouldn't be afraid to experiment and fine-tune til we get it how we want it.

If there is one thing we have gained from this whole uproot and move thing, it is the notion that you can change things if you are not happy. Only you have that power.

Sometimes it takes courage to say "Hey this is not what I wanted, I am going to do something about that!", but you know what? all of us are courageous people, or we would not even be posting on this site!!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:27 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

As many others have already said - THANK YOU for sharing this story with us, and congratulations on the birth of yr baby

From all the WDW
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:21 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobhope
Well we moved April 2006 to Edmonton, I worked for an oil company, good job, great money but work is a subject to being able to move the rigs, and if the ground is wet, or soft, you cant!

We were staying with friends who put up with us living there for a lot longer than anticipated! We bought some land, then sold the land as getting a builder was tough! Bought a house, changed my job to Corrections officer with the government, wife worked at the University hospital. Then I got another job! Also with the government as a Transport Officer, good job, reasonable money and secure. Sold house and rented another in Edmonton while we looked for another.

Wife left work as we found out she was pregnant! We were over the moon! But a word of warning for you ladies on the pill, it doesnt seem to work as well out here! ha ha ha. Found a house in Ponoka, an hour from Edmonton, fantastic place! The stampede is terrific! Wife had the baby, the first Canadian in the family and a very enjoyable experience! We actually preferred it to my wifes pregnancy in UK, but I suppose its just a bit different thats all!

So in 17 months we have moved three times, and I have had three jobs. Crikey I only had one job in the UK for the last 20 years! ha ha.

I would say buying a house is a much simpler and quicker process here, selling is quick too, but you can pay a lot of fees. There is lots of work here, put yourself about and sell yourself.

We do much more as a family than we did in UK, there are marked differences, Canada is almost quaint,a bit behind the times.( if you dont believe me go to some towns outside the city.) Its not cheap here by any means, everything costs, but the quality of life is better, in of course, my humble opinion! Ok we dont get as much Leave, but lots of bank holidays!

So just to say, a good move for our family. Friends and family keep in touch, good old MSN!!!! I have even learnt to ski! Ok well thats a stretch, I can sort of get down without breaking something!
Hi. Glad to hear you have stayed positive throughout all the job changes.

Bet your looking back and thinking your glad the first job you went for didnt work out after all, you sound fine and dandy now.

Take care Mrs minihaha x
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you have settled so well

Best of luck in the future
Jo
Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Many thanks to you for putting this thread on the forum, really good to hear someone(s) making a go of it and liking there new life. Congrates on the new fella,
please keep us up-dated, and good luck for the future.

Regards,
Carl & Tracey & kids