Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa or Toronto?

Ottawa or Toronto?

Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa or Toronto?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I remember reading a recommendation for PEC. It might even have been you
Care to elaborate on the gulp for Belleville?
Well, several friends live there and we go there for big shopping - sofas, tv's etc (and do a pub quiz there each week!). Pluses:-
- near the 401 so easy access to Toronto etc. And a VIA rail station too.
- houses are cheaper than in Prince Edward County, over the bridge
- shops, cinema, bars, restaurants, (amateur) theatres etc

Minuses:-
- Bit run down, and main street is pretty empty thanks to the malls
- Some areas are quite run down. Bit of a drug problem apparently.

As far as employment in Picton is concerned - there's not a huge amount. I work from home, so it's not an issue for me where we live. But it's basically the county town and a tourism hub with plenty of agriculture around - so quite a few lawyers, accountants, a couple of schools, courts etc.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
Minuses:-
- Bit run down, and main street is pretty empty thanks to the malls...
Useful to know.

In the event of ever having to move, somewhere between Kingston and Pickering could be a target.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Question Re: Ottawa or Toronto?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It will depend what you are looking for. There are still areas here that are similar to Halifax cost wise. But if you are after the well paying jobs you will either need to be nearer to Toronto or be prepared for a commute.

Just as an FYI, remember that the grass isn't necessarily greener here, it's just a different shade of green. We still miss NS terribly
How are you liking Barrie? What is it that you miss about NS?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
How are you liking Barrie? What is it that you miss about NS?
Barrie is fine but nothing special. There is a Mall about the size of the Halifax Mall and then other shopping around just like you would find in HRM. We're about 20 minutes south of there and keep forgetting that Newmarket has more shops to chose from but is even more built on a grid than Barrie so lacks in soul, apart from maybe the old Main St.

We miss friends in NS. Also the relaxed way of life. I would say that here it's a lot more like it was in the UK. Much more go go go!

It's funny, when we moved to NS after a while we felt that we were too young to be "wasting away" in NS but now we are here we miss the slower pace.

One thing I do like here more than NS is that people are more used to lots of foreign accents and also the English spoken here is a lot closer to UK English than what is spoken in NS which in my opinion is much more like American English... So we are less noticeable...
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

I live near to Ottawa and spend quite a bit of time driving in and out. From my minute experience, Ottawa is tiny in comparison. Toronto has more work but the cost of property there is very high compared to the Ottawa area. If you could find work in the Ottawa area you could have quite a nice life without the pressure that you might find in Toronto. We considered the Toronto area but were but of by the expense.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

Ottawa, Ottawa, Ottawa, Ottawa, just saying!

I chose Ottawa in 2009 and am glad I did. Research Kanata / Stittsville both in the west end of the City which is where I settled.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emyrthomas

I chose Ottawa in 2009 and am glad I did. Research Kanata / Stittsville both in the west end of the City which is where I settled.

Good luck.
Thank you 😀
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laddo73
I live near to Ottawa and spend quite a bit of time driving in and out. From my minute experience, Ottawa is tiny in comparison. Toronto has more work but the cost of property there is very high compared to the Ottawa area. If you could find work in the Ottawa area you could have quite a nice life without the pressure that you might find in Toronto. We considered the Toronto area but were but of by the expense.
Thanks for advice 😀
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emyrthomas

Good luck.
Is there a particular part of Stittsville that is a better area? Or are they all decent? There are about 6 options on MLS. 😀
Old Aug 14th 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

Stittsville is a nice area with some older and newer houses and new sub-divisions popping up all the time. I love the place personally as It's close enough but also far enough away from the downtown part of the City. I also work in the west end which means I don't have the daily blood pressure raising commute!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like Ottawa during the year I spent there but then there are a lot of places in Canada I don't like.

I found Ottawa to be cold, snowy and governmental. It's a small town with the small town advantage that property is cheap and the small town disadvantage that it never goes up in value. The one person I knew who loved it there eventually moved to California, what he liked about Ottawa was being able to live walking distance from work and walking distance from fishing; he could fish at lunchtime. Toronto's bigger and has more stuff, it's not London but it does have a bit of pace to it, it also has hellish commutes and no edible fish living within a hundred miles.

Rather depends why you want to move on from NS, I'd be concerned that Ottawa has many of the same disadvantages as Halifax without offering an ocean.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't like Ottawa during the year I spent there but then there are a lot of places in Canada I don't like.

I found Ottawa to be cold, snowy and governmental. It's a small town with the small town advantage that property is cheap and the small town disadvantage that it never goes up in value. The one person I knew who loved it there eventually moved to California, what he liked about Ottawa was being able to live walking distance from work and walking distance from fishing; he could fish at lunchtime. Toronto's bigger and has more stuff, it's not London but it does have a bit of pace to it, it also has hellish commutes and no edible fish living within a hundred miles.

Rather depends why you want to move on from NS, I'd be concerned that Ottawa has many of the same disadvantages as Halifax without offering an ocean.
Agree with dbd, don't go from one rural, small town area to another. We're about an hour from Toronto and it's kind of the sticks here too... might move nearer to Toronto next year...
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Agree with dbd, don't go from one rural, small town area to another. We're about an hour from Toronto and it's kind of the sticks here too... might move nearer to Toronto next year...
Barrie isn't comparable to Ottawa though. There are over 1 million people in Ottawa-Gatineau - almost 10x the population of Barrie. So Ottawa is hardly "the sticks". There is much more to see and do there than there is in Barrie.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 14th 2015 at 5:05 am.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Barrie isn't comparable to Ottawa though. There are over 1 million people in Ottawa-Gatineau - almost 10x the population of Barrie. So Ottawa is hardly "the sticks". There is much more to see and do there than there is in Barrie.
Agreed..Many in Barrie live there due to its affordablity to have a detached home with the yard etc for people who work in the north GTA and commute down the 400 daily. Ottawa proper doesn't really have a city that size close to the city limits with so many people heading to another city for work. Kemptville, Rockland, Carleton Place, Arnprior, Russell don't have that sort of population.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Agreed..Many in Barrie live there due to its affordablity to have a detached home with the yard etc for people who work in the north GTA and commute down the 400 daily. Ottawa proper doesn't really have a city that size close to the city limits with so many people heading to another city for work. Kemptville, Rockland, Carleton Place, Arnprior, Russell don't have that sort of population.
I don't think the Barrie comparison suggests that Ottawa has a satellite town like Barrie, rather that Ottawa is like Barrie. In the terms intended; entertainment, physical beauty, excitement, it's not unreasonable though it is true that, while people in Barrie commute to Toronto, those in Ottawa have nowhere to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.