Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa - salary information

Ottawa - salary information

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default Ottawa - salary information

hey guys, been in canada for just under a week now and loving it! spent 3 nights in Toronto, which had lots to do, but I certainly wouldnt live there! Now we have spent 3 nights in Manotick, Ottawa and are really enjoying it.... apart from the weather! i keep getting told that its going to heat up soon, but the long term weather forecast isnt looking great!

Anyway, im an electrical engineer with a BEng Hons and 10 years of UK experience. I have had 2 interviews so far, with another 5 planned! First one went ok, i really didnt take to the guy but i walked away with a potential job offer of $50k. The second interview went brilliantly and i clicked instantly with the president and vice president. This time i received a firm job offer for $65k with a $10k rise in a year once i had gained canadian experience. This is slightly more than i earn in the UK so happy with that, but i'll see what the other companies say also.

My real issue is that my girlfriend is a primary teacher, and we know its going to be a hard slog for her to get a job. We've been advised she would probably pick up supply work for the first few years until she gained enough canadian experience to get a permanent job. Hopefully girlfriend can contribute a meaningful amount to our finances, but in the meantime would my $65-75k be a reasonable salary to allow us to live a good lifestyle.

In the long term if we were to move over we would sell our UK house and put the £75k ($150k) equity down on a $350k house in South Ottawa. This would leave a mortgage of about $200k, would this be comfortably serviceable on a joint annual income of $100-125k? i haven't really worked out all the figures yet, but i'm just looking to get a feel for whether we would be financially better off in Canada....... not to mention all the personal/non-financial benefits of moving over!

cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Ottawa - salary information

sent you a note
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, sounds like its going well.

$100k should be OK to service a $200k mortgage, but if you dont have kids then maybe somewhere smaller would leave more disposable income. Without kids even your $70k might stretch on its own.

If you do end up with kids then you wont have any disposable income regardless of how much your income is
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

no kids just now, although it may be a different story in 2-3 years! if we were going to buy somewhere it would be with kids in mind, so spacious, nice size plot and good area like Manotick would be fairly important! we are certainly hoping we can live a cheaper and comfortable life in Canada, and if possible we would like to do this on 1 full time and 1 part time salary. i am very encouraged that it's do-able so far....... we just have to cross the leaving the family issue which GF is struggling with
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think the cost of living is substantially lower here, the main advantage is that homes like the one you have in mind are substantially cheaper. Plus, you seem to be in the same boat that I was which is that you will be paid more than your were in the UK once you get here. Once qualified teachers seem to be well treated here too, but its not the easiest career path to relaunch on.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:21 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Congrats, sounds like its going well.

$100k should be OK to service a $200k mortgage, but if you dont have kids then maybe somewhere smaller would leave more disposable income. Without kids even your $70k might stretch on its own.

If you do end up with kids then you wont have any disposable income regardless of how much your income is
Curious as to why $100k is only enough for a $200k mortgage? Isn't normally 3x salary a rough indicator?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:40 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Curious as to why $100k is only enough for a $200k mortgage? Isn't normally 3x salary a rough indicator?
Yes it is. 100 k is plenty. A 100 k after tax is roughly something like 5800 bucks a month while the mortgage would only be around 1000 - not including property tax etc.

Very dobale. Don't get too carried away. Many brits come out here and end up no better off - just have bigger vehicles and bigger homes.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

exactly, we're trying to focus on the other benefits of being here, of which i can see plenty. however i would like to think we would also be slightly better off financially without having as big a mortgage as required in the uk for a property nicer than ours. it would also be nice to pay considerably less for petrol and utilities! i'm also choking for a ford mustang at only $22k!!!!!! but no doubt would end up with some 4wd monster like a ford F150!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:22 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
exactly, we're trying to focus on the other benefits of being here, of which i can see plenty. however i would like to think we would also be slightly better off financially without having as big a mortgage as required in the uk for a property nicer than ours. it would also be nice to pay considerably less for petrol and utilities! i'm also choking for a ford mustang at only $22k!!!!!! but no doubt would end up with some 4wd monster like a ford F150!
You say you want to pay less for petrol and then mention a Mustang or F150 - you've seen the mpg on those right? Plus the distances here are greater- you'll be spending more on petrol with those two....
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

I know a couple of brits who splashed on the big truck when they got here, the trucks have gone now, the bummer is when it does not fit in your residential garage in the winter.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
You say you want to pay less for petrol and then mention a Mustang or F150 - you've seen the mpg on those right? Plus the distances here are greater- you'll be spending more on petrol with those two....
i was just joking mate, as much as i would love either i would probably end up with a boring ford taurus or something equally sensible!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:04 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kancell
i was just joking mate, as much as i would love either i would probably end up with a boring ford taurus or something equally sensible!
Like me - Ford Freestyle....yawn! Mustang though.... one day, one day....
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by G77
The property here is relatively cheap, but it seems to me you pay a lot more for maintainence, the climate takes a toll on roofs etc, you need a furnace and to some extent A/C that works, cars take a beating, and where I've chosen to live you certainly need a car....it all adds up.

Personally I am not entirely comfortable with what the banks will lend, but maybe thats just me. Id rather have extra funds available to pay it off faster than be struggling to meet the payments. As it is my morgage is less than 20% of my take home pay, and yet other expenses eat the rest anyway. If you are staying here long term you need to give serious consideration to retirement savings from early on for example. .

I would rather err on the side of caution in giving financial type "what can I afford" advice here, its all to easy for people to get carried away and buy a 3 or 4000sq ft house with no though to what its going to cost in property taxes, insurance and to maintain its value. In the last 5 years Ive been on the hook for;

Water softener and UV system ($1500)
Furnace and water heater ($4k)
Replacement oil tank ($1000)
Replacement Roof (Shingles) ($5500)
Replacement Central Air ($1500)

Hopefully thats it for a while, but I doubt it. Anyway, my point is that all that would have been a financial struggle had my mortgage been the max that the bank would allow me...

Last edited by iaink; Jul 24th 2009 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

The property here is relatively cheap, but it seems to me you pay a lot more for maintainence, the climate takes a toll on roofs etc, you need a furnace and to some extent A/C that works, cars take a beating, and where I've chosen to live you certainly need a car....it all adds up.

Personally I am not entirely comfortable with what the banks will lend, but maybe thats just me. Id rather have extra funds available to pay it off faster than be struggling to meet the payments. As it is my morgage is less than 20% of my take home pay, and yet other expenses eat the rest anyway. If you are staying here long term you need to give serious consideration to retirement savings from early on for example.

I would rather err on the side of caution in giving financial type "what can I afford" advice here, its all to easy for people to get carried away and buy a 3 or 4000sq ft house with no though to what its going to cost in property taxes, insurance and to maintain its value. In the last 5 years Ive been on the hook for;

Hopefully thats it for a while, but I doubt it. Anyway, my point is that all that would have been a financial struggle had my mortgage been the max that the bank would allow me...
I absolutely agree with this. Our mortgage is roughly the same in dollars as we used to pay in pounds back in the UK (so effectively half what it was), and we are getting paid nearly double what we used to make in the UK. You would think we would be way better off, but we don't seem to have a lot more spare. It's all those little incidentals at $1k to $5k that seem to come out of nowhere.
My fear is the municipality suddenly decide to put mains water in our street, or our septic field gives up the ghost, and then we are $20k in the crapper (pun intended )
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

How often have you replaced your roof over the last 10 years?

Personally I am not entirely comfortable with what the banks will lend, but maybe thats just me. Id rather have extra funds available to pay it off faster than be struggling to meet the payments. As it is my morgage is less than 20% of my take home pay, and yet other expenses eat the rest anyway. If you are staying here long term you need to give serious consideration to retirement savings from early on for example. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.