Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa - salary information

Ottawa - salary information

Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa - salary information

Originally Posted by G77
They are now, but what when they go back up? You couldn't get one fixed at that rate for the full term could you?
Quite (I was being sarcastic in that post)
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Quite (I was being sarcastic in that post)
Sorry, don't do sarcasm anymore now I'm in Canada..... Ooops, wrong thread.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In many cases here I suspect you might actually be further ahead to pay less than the combined mortgage and maintainence costs to rent for thirty years and save the difference into an tax free RRSP, and I suspect its possible to come out with more retirement savings at the end that way. The downside of course is you pay that rent over for ever (just as you will property taxes I guess), and there is nothing there in the way of inheretence perhaps, but Im just throwing it out there as a school of thought here....
Investment in real estate, just as in the stock market, is all about timing. A lot of people who relied on their RRSPs to fund their retirement lost an awful lot of money in 2008.

If you invest passively, in either mutual finds or real estate, the best you can hope for is to beat inflation by a bit, i.e preserve the value of your investments. If you are prepared to be an active investor you can make money in either, but it does involve effort, learning about your market, and a bit of luck.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is a fundamental difference between the UK and Canada, (with some exceptions here.)

Sorry, I realise you are an old man, so I put it in bold to help you this time around. Should I make the font larger too?
Yep I guess I'm old and decrepit.

My opinon's not worth sh*t so I may as well move on.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
I think that depends on a lot of factors. Where you are, how much/type of house you buy etc. I have noticed that many brits get carried away and buy more vehicle and house than they really need. I cant imagine why most families would need more than 2000 square feel. Utilities may be less but a harsher climate and more space to heat equate to higher bills. Same with vehicles - often greater distances etc.

Vancouver does not have an extreme/ harsher climate but does have more expensive real estate..... Other than that I doubt there's very little difference day to day.
I think even with our quite modest expectations, it would still seem that (according to what I hear on this forum) we would still be seeing a significant drop for an equivalent uk income.

When I say modest expectations, I'm taking about a house for no more than $250K (with 10% deposit), one car, and no long list of dependent ex-wifes, horses and university attending teenagers to sub - a la dbd33 .
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yep I guess I'm old and decrepit.

My opinon's not worth sh*t so I may as well move on.
Your opinion counts to me Steve. I trust Iank was lightly poking fun.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:12 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I think even with our quite modest expectations, it would still seem that (according to what I hear on this forum) we would still be seeing a significant drop for an equivalent uk income.

When I say modest expectations, I'm taking about a house for no more than $250K (with 10% deposit), one car, and no long list of dependent ex-wifes, horses and university attending teenagers to sub - a la dbd33 .
Depends what you mean be 'significant' i can only base my experiences on BC but overall i don't see any real differences in cost of living here vs the UK I i am from manchester) and I would n't go as far as to say that earning the same here would result in a lower standard of living (real estate cost in Vancouver being the exception that is). I'd say that 30,000 quid spends much like 60,000 dollars here. Somethings are more - others things are less - so it tends to even out. But i would agree that if someone was expecting that their money would have more purchasing power here they will be in for a serious let down.

Last edited by dboy; Jul 24th 2009 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dboy
Depends what you mean be 'significant' i can only base my experiences on BC but overall i don't see any real differences in cost of living here vs the UK I i am from manchester) and I would n't go as far as to say that earning the same here would result in a lower standard of living (real estate cost in Vancouver being the exception that is). I'd say that 30,000 quid spends much like 60,000 dollars here. Somethings are more - others things are less - so it tends to even out. But i would agree that if someone was expecting that their money would have more purchasing power here they will be in for a serious let down.
dboy

I agree with you there is not much difference in living costs between the UK and Canada from my own experience. We spent more on generally living costs in Canada than we do back in the UK now.

If you looks at Stats Canada and National Stats UK your see similar figures i.e 13% UK for household transportation costs and 13.5% Canada. Housing costs 11% UK and 20% Canada, this is not unreasonable taking into account the size difference in housing, heating, electricity, insurances and maintenance costs( re: iank comments on climate and also quality of building material).

Going back to the original post asking about salaries in Ottawa.
$52k pa is what I paid for a plant operator- grade 12 education.
$73-79K for a PEng/CEng Engineer(10 years post grad experience).
These were 2005 salaries, so add another 10-15% for inflation.
I was based 120 miles north of Ottawa and not living in a city.

I had an engineer who moved to Ottawa in 2004 to work for the federal govt on £87K(Senior Engineering). He also got $10K allowance on top for living in Ottawa/skills shortage.

Regards

hudd
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Ottawa, welcome to Manotick!! You've found our little secret gem how dare you???!!! Fabulous isn't it? Shame about the bloody roadworks though. The City of Ottawa is fast running out of money so its rural grabbing parts so they can hike up the property taxes. So beware the property tax is fairly high in Manotick and is going to be going up once the sewers are put in (which you've probably gathered we don't want by now!!).

I would just air on the side of caution if I was you at this stage. I'd bank on your GF doing supply work (if she can get it). You'll be lucky to get a house for under $400,000 in Manotick. But if you find one, be very careful its priced that low because of the work that would be needed. You're going to have to have 2 cars, I can see it all adding up very quickly. Manotick isn't cheap, have you looked at Richmond or Stittsville, closer to Kanata where you'll be likely to land a job?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

hey guys, thanks for all the info.

yeah its a real shame that manotick is under so much construction right now, it would have been nice to see it in its full glory! however it still looks like a nice place to live and somewhere we would be keen to live in. we are currently in a mansion in knights drive, which has possibly skewed are view a little though

we viewed houses all day yesterday in South Ottawa and Gatineau. You are right, there was not a house that really stood out for under $350k in South Ottawa. However, across the bridge in Gatineau, we must have viewed our dream house about 4 times, the properties are just amazing for $350k.

i think we would need to increase our budget to almost $400k to get the house and area we really want...... (south ottawa) but then we aren't making the cut in mortgage we had hoped and would need probably need two full time salaries.

what are the surrounding areas such as greely, north gower and kars like? also, is the area on the map as "long island" also still considered manotick, and therefore just as expensive, as it the area i love most! all the jobs i have interviews for are downtown, so really it needs to be commutable there even in the winter time.

i guess its all food for thought and we'll weigh up all the factors when making our decision. we really love ottawa though, it has everything we could ever need!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

The house you are staying in Rideau Forest is probably worth at least $1 million so yes I think you are being spoilt!

Seriously, most people in Canada don't live like this so you really need to do a lot more investigating on what your $100K per annum lifestyle will buy you. I have never seen anything thats habitable for under $400,000 in Manotick.

But overall the quality of life you will enjoy over here compared to the UK when you are settled will be much better. Good luck with it all
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:10 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a fundamental difference between the UK and Canada, (with some exceptions here.)

Sorry, I realise you are an old man, so I put it in bold to help you this time around. Should I make the font larger too?

Obviously there are exeptions. Waterfront property is probably one too...they arent making any more of that. Edmonton and Calgary are peculiar examples, in that the boom and bust nature of the oil economy means its probably possible to lose large amounts too if you buy at the wrong time...kind of like Aberdeen in that respect. Vancouver and parts of Toronto might also be considered investment areas?
That was a bit off wasnt it - perhaps meant tongue in cheek but I dont think Steve deserved that! Hope you apologise we dont want to lose him he adds some good well thought info to this site.

Well signing off back to my holiday!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No offence intended...I figured the smiley's were sufficient to indicate I was just ribbing the old scouser.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:13 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

No offence intended...I figured the smiley's were sufficient to indicate I was just ribbing the old scouser.
Really Iain? Funny how things can be misconstrued when posted on the 'idiotnet' isnt it? Odd how people can see malice where none was meant? Perhaps there's a lesson there for ALL OF US.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Really Iain? Funny how things can be misconstrued when posted on the 'idiotnet' isnt it? Odd how people can see malice where none was meant? Perhaps there's a lesson there for ALL OF US.
The context is important too. Steve and I have been around this forum a long time, its not like I would post something that might be interpreted as rude or abusive to a relatively new poster here where there is no pre-existing relationship, capiche?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.