Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa and non french speaking.

Ottawa and non french speaking.

Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Default Ottawa and non french speaking.

Hi, We're considering a move to Ottawa after a visit in the summer but friends keep saying it's hard to find work if you're not bilingual. Is this the case? If so, may have to look at Toronto instead.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tracy
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa and non french speaking.

Originally Posted by tracys
Hi, We're considering a move to Ottawa after a visit in the summer but friends keep saying it's hard to find work if you're not bilingual. Is this the case? If so, may have to look at Toronto instead.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tracy
Yes and no. I'm an American who is married to a Canadian. He lived in Ottawa at the time of our marriage 18 years ago. I was going to move to Canada but because I worked as a legal assistant the agencies loved my years of experience and qualifications but said without a working knowledge of French (verbal and written), they would not be able to place me in the legal arena.

My nephew by marriage is working in Ottawa without any knowledge of French in a construction managerial position and his wife in a bank. He, of course, is born Canadian from outside of Montreal (yes, without French) and she is a transplanted American without French.

So it would seem it depends on the profession you are in.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes and no. I'm an American who is married to a Canadian. He lived in Ottawa at the time of our marriage 18 years ago. I was going to move to Canada but because I worked as a legal assistant the agencies loved my years of experience and qualifications but said without a working knowledge of French (verbal and written), they would not be able to place me in the legal arena.

My nephew by marriage is working in Ottawa without any knowledge of French in a construction managerial position and his wife in a bank. He, of course, is born Canadian from outside of Montreal (yes, without French) and she is a transplanted American without French.

I'm in Ottawa and have been since 1994. My french is rusty and we spent Christmas time in Nice and the French Alps and I could understand the natives more there than in the Ottawa/Gatineau area.

The real estate executive detailed below

Changes in Senior Management at Ivanhoe Cambridge - Montreal, Quebes - Our Hometown

was married to a distant relative of mine and his lack of french was the reason for his downfall at Ivanhoe Cambridge. Ironically his wife has a degree in french but not much rubbed off.

In the federal government bi-lingualism is quite important in Ottawa but getting hired by the feds is difficult and subject to the whims of government. High tech is not that concerned with bi-lingualism. Retail, especially downtown would view bi-lingualism as an asset.

Cost of living is generally lower in Ottawa vs Toronto.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete

That would make sense I guess. If your job requires you to communicate with the public French is obviously an asset.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm in Ottawa and have been since 1994. My french is rusty and we spent Christmas time in Nice and the French Alps and I could understand the natives more there than in the Ottawa/Gatineau area.

The real estate executive detailed below

Changes in Senior Management at Ivanhoe Cambridge - Montreal, Quebes - Our Hometown

was married to a distant relative of mine and his lack of french was the reason for his downfall at Ivanhoe Cambridge. Ironically his wife has a degree in french but not much rubbed off.

In the federal government bi-lingualism is quite important in Ottawa but getting hired by the feds is difficult and subject to the whims of government. High tech is not that concerned with bi-lingualism. Retail, especially downtown would view bi-lingualism as an asset.

Cost of living is generally lower in Ottawa vs Toronto.
OH is in IT/Communications so might not pose a problem.. Daughter studying Political Science and IDS so depending on her plans might be a stumbling block. Though she could always learn French I guess? Son interested in Hospitality/tourism. I know he won't want to learn French.

Lots of work for OH in Toronto but didn't want that fast pace again, had that in London. NS has slowed us all down somewhat
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

OH is in IT/Communications so might not pose a problem.. Daughter studying Political Science and IDS so depending on her plans might be a stumbling block. Though she could always learn French I guess? Son interested in Hospitality/tourism. I know he won't want to learn French.

Lots of work for OH in Toronto but didn't want that fast pace again, had that in London. NS has slowed us all down somewhat
K-W? Lots of computing, not a big city, many languages in use but mainly English. Several universities nearby. Easy access to the US for shopping. Not scenic.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
K-W? Lots of computing, not a big city, many languages in use but mainly English. Several universities nearby. Easy access to the US for shopping. Not scenic.
We liked that it wasn't too big a city and the easy access to US is definitely a factor in our wanting to move. Love that it's more diverse too, NS is very white. We miss the diversity of London. Not sure what you mean by k-w?
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We liked that it wasn't too big a city and the easy access to US is definitely a factor in our wanting to move. Love that it's more diverse too, NS is very white. We miss the diversity of London. Not sure what you mean by k-w?
Hi Tracy. Hadn't realized you were still in NS.
KW is Kitchener Waterloo 😊
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was suggesting Kitchener-Waterloo, a town (made of two towns slapped together) west of Toronto (see also Guelph). The area has lots of computer work both for software companies and for insurance companies. Lack of diversity is not a concern in this part of the world.

Housing is cheaper than the GTA, I suspect it's more expensive than Ottawa. Recently the people around me in the office have been buying "just detached" houses on new estates, say 1600 sq ft for around $400,000.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 5th 2017 at 11:45 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hi Tracy. Hadn't realized you were still in NS.
KW is Kitchener Waterloo 😊
yes, still here. Waiting for kids to finish school and uni. How's Toronto working out for you now? Have you adjusted? Kids settled?
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was suggesting Kitchener-Waterloo, a town (made of two towns slapped together) west of Toronto (see also Guelph). The area has lots of computer work both for software companies and for insurance companies. Lack of diversity is not a concern in this part of the world.

Housing is cheaper than the GTA, I suspect it's more expensive than Ottawa. Recently the people around me in the office have been buying "just detached" houses on new estates, say 1600 sq ft for around $400,000.
Thanks I'll research that area. Would love to go to Vancouver but so expensive! Might have to wait for retirement and buy a reno job, as long as we're still fit enough to cope with a reno
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I'll research that area. Would love to go to Vancouver but so expensive! Might have to wait for retirement and buy a reno job, as long as we're still fit enough to cope with a reno
Just look at the bones of a place.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvy
Just look at the bones of a place.
It's my bones I'm worried about
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It's my bones I'm worried about
Why? None of it is that hard. It's all about technique. I'm not a big bloke but I can get a 50lb sheet of drywall up on a wall with a block of wood and a crowbar.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

OH is in IT/Communications so might not pose a problem.
Some IT jobs will require French. It's more likely to happen in Ottawa than in Toronto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.