Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa and non french speaking.

Ottawa and non french speaking.

Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa and non french speaking.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Some IT jobs will require French. It's more likely to happen in Ottawa than in Toronto.
Or maybe not.

My taxi driver in Ottawa the other night had recently been laid off by HP from his job as a programmer. Read into that what you wish.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvy
Why? None of it is that hard. It's all about technique. I'm not a big bloke but I can get a 50lb sheet of drywall up on a wall with a block of wood and a crowbar.
Well I'm 4ft 10in in my socks but OH is very good at all things DIY so I may stick to painting and interior design. OH has always wanted to buy a reno project, so I'm sure we'll do one eventually.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Well I'm 4ft 10in in my socks but OH is very good at all things DIY so I may stick to painting and interior design. OH has always wanted to buy a reno project, so I'm sure we'll do one eventually.
Hmmm, my life seems to be a reno project. In Guelph we bought a house with a strange attic conversion, like a low ceilinged cape cod. We cut it off above the front door, raised the roof and added a proper first floor. A contractor built the outer shell leaving the place as pictured. We then fetched 90 sheets of drywall, a bath tub and all the rest of it from Buffalo or Detroit and finished the inside. That was a lot of work so then we moved to the country and started on a bigger project. I think there's a lot to be said for living quietly in a nice scenic part of Nova Scotia with easy access to a city.
Attached Thumbnails Ottawa and non french speaking.-003.jpg  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

yes, still here. Waiting for kids to finish school and uni. How's Toronto working out for you now? Have you adjusted? Kids settled?
We're not in Canada... we're in Brampton! 😜

Kids are really enjoying it here NS is a distant memory. We're keeping busy. In fact too busy I would say!!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:49 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We're considering a move to Ottawa after a visit in the summer but friends keep saying it's hard to find work if you're not bilingual. Is this the case? If so, may have to look at Toronto instead.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tracy
Depends where you work and who you have to interact with day to day. I have worked IT in Ottawa for the last several years and always found work without a knowledge of French. Right now I manage an IT dept in Gatineau (French-speaking Quebec side of Ottawa) where English is the 'lingua franca'. We support a major government department.
Now it's possible I may have gotten more job offers over the years by speaking French, but I really haven't had any bad experience.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmmm, my life seems to be a reno project. In Guelph we bought a house with a strange attic conversion, like a low ceilinged cape cod. We cut it off above the front door, raised the roof and added a proper first floor. A contractor built the outer shell leaving the place as pictured. We then fetched 90 sheets of drywall, a bath tub and all the rest of it from Buffalo or Detroit and finished the inside. That was a lot of work so then we moved to the country and started on a bigger project. I think there's a lot to be said for living quietly in a nice scenic part of Nova Scotia with easy access to a city.
Looks and sounds like a big project! Yes NS has it's advantages. There are some lovely coastal places and Halifax is a nice city, but we've pretty much done everything there is to do here now. I'm not sure we'll ever settle anywhere permanently, until we're too old or grand-kids change our minds, we get bored too easily That said, lots of people do return here after trying elsewhere. After moving continents though, moving again doesn't cause me any sleepless nights. If it doesn't work out we can always move again!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

After moving continents though, moving again doesn't cause me any sleepless nights. If it doesn't work out we can always move again!
There's a good amount of truth to that. I've been resident in Ontario for 30+ years but, in that time, have worked in all but 6 US States, several European countries and a little in Asia and Australia; without the moving about I think I would have gone mad. Oh, and I did a year in Ottawa.

I know Halifax a little, one of my children was at King's. We used to send her food parcels; garam masala and the like "there's no spice in this town". I liked Halifax better than she did.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Depends where you work and who you have to interact with day to day. I have worked IT in Ottawa for the last several years and always found work without a knowledge of French. Right now I manage an IT dept in Gatineau (French-speaking Quebec side of Ottawa) where English is the 'lingua franca'. We support a major government department.
Now it's possible I may have gotten more job offers over the years by speaking French, but I really haven't had any bad experience.
Hi,
Sorry to bump in. Out of curiosity what will be the best way to get into IT in ottawa. A friend is a Business Analyst in UK but moving to Ottawa in the summer. His looking to get into IT proper ie a mix of business analysis and IT. What kind of course will you recommend. Any advice is welcomed.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AfroGlasgow
Hi,
Sorry to bump in. Out of curiosity what will be the best way to get into IT in ottawa. A friend is a Business Analyst in UK but moving to Ottawa in the summer. His looking to get into IT proper ie a mix of business analysis and IT. What kind of course will you recommend. Any advice is welcomed.
Your friend would probably be better off starting his own thread with this question.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:56 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AfroGlasgow
Hi,
As a hard-core systems administrator for usually quite large enterprise environments, I have avoided the 'business' side of IT, so not sure what course would be applicable. I arrived in Canada with several years of IT experience and several Microsoft and Cisco certifications and just went from there. For new arrivals in IT I would suggest getting signed up with a few IT agencies. You soon pick up which are the worthwhile ones. That will get you a foothold in the industry.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

thanks I have started a new thread
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Quite a few of the francos on my street work the feds (DND, PWGSC, Stats Canada...). They all work in English.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
Quite a few of the francos on my street work the feds (DND, PWGSC, Stats Canada...). They all work in English.
That's true of my daughter in Vancouver but, crucially, she wouldn't have the job, working in English, if she didn't speak French. It's not that the Feds need you to use French, you just have to have it.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That's true of my daughter in Vancouver but, crucially, she wouldn't have the job, working in English, if she didn't speak French. It's not that the Feds need you to use French, you just have to have it.
That's exactly it. In any bilingual jobs I have had in the last 5+ years it's a requirement but most French speakers will switch to English if necessary anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:09 am
Slob

I often find it amusing that my opposite neighbour is an English to French translator for the Feds. I don't know how she does it. Her English is lousy.

My missus and I have a reciprocal agreement on copy editing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.