Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oshawa - does it get an unfair reputation?

Oshawa - does it get an unfair reputation?

Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oshawa - does it get an unfair reputation?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So where is the dividing line then?
South of the 401. It's a low income area.

I found a dozen nice pics of things in Belleville in seconds that I can't find in Oshawa.
Bellevile is OK. Downtown pretty deserted in favour of out if town malls.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anyone is wondering, no I'm not thinking of moving there.
It really is just because I saw another thread title http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...a-uoit-908207/ and wondered about someone getting the wrong place. And then can it really be that bad?
Originally Posted by bats
That only looks a small part and you'd think it would be expensive waterfront property anywhere else. But I dropped in on several of those roads and it all seems to be warehouses and stuff with just roads and grass in between.

No catapult chairs anywhere.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt it. It's a generalisation, I know, but a lot of Brits come to Canada "in demand" better qualified, more experienced, higher expectations etc etc and seek those better/different opportunities.

Most other people are satisfied with the construction, retail, education, government, hospitality, bank, medical setting, office, jobs that are almost everywhere and that's what they do.

Belleville looks like somewhere that delivers that. I'm not so sure about Oshawa.
The major employer in Oshawa is the GM plant making vehicles for mostly the U.S. market. Without GM, Oshawa would probably be even worse off. If I were looking to move towards Oshawa, Ajax/Whitby would be my preferred areas.

We used to visit Belleville to see family there and near Madoc, and to visit Reid's Dairy before heading home.

Bellevile is OK. Downtown pretty deserted in favour of out if town malls.
Which is a shame. If they could attract businesses to downtown, we'd be more likely to consider a move there when we go back.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I was on the GO train one time, and as we were coming into Oshawa....the conductor was making the announcement over the PA....

"Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the beautiful 'shawaa" yout last stop on this GO train service." everyone just looked at each other and laughed! It was a very funny moment! Even people that live there joke about it.
They do that on planes coming into Buffalo. It seems a bit unfair, Buffalo has a selection of lively bars, malls that draw people from all over Ontario, major league sports teams, a district of appealing older houses and a nice dog park. AFAIK, Oshawa has none the above.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They do that on planes coming into Buffalo. It seems a bit unfair, Buffalo has a selection of lively bars, malls that draw people from all over Ontario, major league sports teams, a district of appealing older houses and a nice dog park. AFAIK, Oshawa has none the above.
And when the decision to terminate the proposed Pickering Airport was made, the area lost lots of potential jobs.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I think Buffalo managed to shed a little bit of its bad rep, my friend's wife is from Buffalo and they go there quite regulary, they seem to like it!

I think the 'shawa will probably lose GM eventually too. However to be fair thats probably what gave it the bad rep to begin with.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing with Oshawa.

There's no reason to go there.

I drove through once. I felt nothing other than I was further from the comfort of downtown than I wanted to be.

I know no one who has moved there and no one with the desire to move there.

On a map it is too far east for my liking.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
That's the thing with Oshawa.

There's no reason to go there.

I drove through once. I felt nothing other than I was further from the comfort of downtown than I wanted to be.

I know no one who has moved there and no one with the desire to move there.

On a map it is too far east for my liking.

And there is not a lot east until you get to the capital....which I like.

Mind you, I do like Kingston, great little city.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think Buffalo managed to shed a little bit of its bad rep, my friend's wife is from Buffalo and they go there quite regulary, they seem to like it!

I think the 'shawa will probably lose GM eventually too. However to be fair thats probably what gave it the bad rep to begin with.
General Motors probably gave us Oshawa.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Motors probably gave us Oshawa.
Yes, thats what I meant....Oshawa was born with its rep...it was a place effectively created from GM.

Apart from GM there is not even any industry in Oshawa as such..... I worked with a lot of guys at GE that commuted from Oshawa to Peterborough, now thats gone too.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 22nd 2018 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

And there is not a lot east until you get to the capital....which I like.

Mind you, I do like Kingston, great little city.
Yep, we like Kingston too. Was second on our list of places to live.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yep, we like Kingston too. Was second on our list of places to live.
I never got chance to choose where I lived...decided I would go where the work was, I came to the most unlikely place because of that!

But if I had a choice having experienced a lot of Canada for a few years now, I would happily live in Kingston....its got a good balance of everything, not that I know it that well, but you know when you get a feel for a place.

I think my friends I have made here are more important to me now though rather than location.