Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Orthodontist treatment

Wikiposts

Orthodontist treatment

Old May 12th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Orthodontist treatment

Hi - Nightmare scenario....

My eldest lad is being fitted with a brace in the next couple of weeks (about a month prior to our move to Canada).

He'll need tightening and removal as part of the treatment in Canada, any ideas on the possible cost of this (I've heard dental costs in Canada are outrageous).

The orthodontist has advised he'll need it for 12 months.

Would this be covered under the dental plans offered by employers?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Orthodontist treatment

I havn't got any advise but we are in the same situation. My eldset got his fitted on the 11th April and has to have it on for 18 months. We are flying out first week of August.

I've read somewhere that braces in Canada can cost $10k but most health care will cover half of it.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mickey690
I havn't got any advise but we are in the same situation. My eldset got his fitted on the 11th April and has to have it on for 18 months. We are flying out first week of August.

I've read somewhere that braces in Canada can cost $10k but most health care will cover half of it.
I would have thought the expensive bit has been taken care of in the UK then (as in fitting of the braces)?

I'll have a bash at tightening and removal myself, how difficult can it be?

Joking aside i've emailed a couple of dentists in Calgary for a rough idea.

I'll let you know.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably find that the Canadian orthodonist will want to start the whole process again. Get ready to pay $$$$$$$$$
Old May 13th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You will probably find that the Canadian orthodonist will want to start the whole process again. Get ready to pay $$$$$$$$$
That would be ridiculous, why on earth would they want to start it again?
Old May 13th 2011, 1:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it wont be too bad (for ortho), as the hard work has been done. Most employer plans have only limited ortho coverage, IF they have any at all.(many dont)

From my dodgy memory I think I am gratefull to get a total of $2k coverage (probably at 80%) per kid lifetime. If you have a government job you might have better coverage...

See if you can get the UK and CDN dentist in contact before you move for a seamless transition of care if you can.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Here in the UK, my daughter went to an ortho and had x-rays, photos, consultation and first brace. Around three months after she started treatment we had to change orthos due to a move. The new chap insited she had to be seen as a new patient and he couldn't take any previous history into account. She had to go through all that again, including new brace.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
Welcome to Canada.

You may get lucky but, as other will attest to, the dental profession over here will not even look inside a new patient's mouth before performing all manner of x-rays and scans.

I could be wrong, but suspect that I am not
Old May 13th 2011, 1:47 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest just got braces in Canada - by memory they cost about $5000.00, maybe more!!!

There is no insurance (i don't think) that will cover the full amount, or even half the amount. Hubby's work insurance gave us $1000.00 back after we paid!

Not sure what will happen if braces are already fitted though. I guess they just need tightening every few weeks and maintenance.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:48 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada.

You may get lucky but, as other will attest to, the dental profession over here will not even look inside a new patient's mouth before performing all manner of x-rays and scans.

I could be wrong, but suspect that I am not
You are not wrong!
You need good dental insurance here, that's for sure
Old May 13th 2011, 1:49 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickey690

Please don't come under this belief. Health care will not cover dental work of any type (except in special cases), and if an employer scheme provides some orthodontal care it will be mimimal vs total cost.
Dental care is expensive here but it is of a high quality, IMO.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
You haven't met canadian dentists, let alone canadian orthodontists.

Plus they probably have some kind of liability gig going. Plus they are extreme perfectionists
Old May 13th 2011, 1:52 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you also have the option to shop around until you find an ortho who will take here on just for the maintainence, you dont have to take the first dentist you stumble upon.

My dentist (not an ortho) was quite happy to take me as I was without a ton of Xrays etc first. My advice is to shop around.

Employee benefits, if you have them, will typically cover about 80% of "regular" dental exam costs, but Ortho being what it is (expensive) is often excluded, as I said, I consider myself lucky to have even limited coverage. Still, Ortho is often expensive enough that it meets the 2 or 3% of income requirement to have it as a tax deductible expense so you can claw some of it back, especially if you can come to a suitable billing arangement with the dentist to bill for it all at once rather than over several years of visits.

The alternative I suppose in most cases is crooked teeth, Oh the humanity. People might think you British.

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2011 at 1:55 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
My eldest just got braces in Canada - by memory they cost about $5000.00, maybe more!!.
Just to compare - I got braces in the UK in January and total treatment is going to cost me £3,500 (I make that around $5,500), but I guess that depends on a comparison of the amount of work needed.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:07 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Just to compare - I got braces in the UK in January and total treatment is going to cost me £3,500 (I make that around $5,500), but I guess that depends on a comparison of the amount of work needed.
Is that for a child?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.