Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Orthadontics & extended health benefits

Orthadontics & extended health benefits

Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orthadontics & extended health benefits

Hi Calgal & all, just an update.....AB Blue Cross tell us we have no Ortho coverage at all on our plan, so lucks like that's clear who's gonna end up paying what. Kids are booked in Aug 9th at Dentist for check ups (that was the earliest they could fit them in....and I thought the UK was bad for waiting times!). Will get a clearer picture of what we'll be looking at then. How about this for a taster of how scary dental costs are here....a basic check-up & clean for the kids - $190 each!! :scared: Thankfully, we'll get 80% of that back through Blue Cross though.

Glad I asked this topic today, cos it's finally made me pull my finger out and make the right enquiries instead of putting it off and putting it off again some more
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
$190 each!!
Blimey,

For me its only $106, or $131 with Xrays, and thats covered 100% within a few cents.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Blimey,

For me its only $106, or $131 with Xrays, and thats covered 100% within a few cents.
She told me the $190 is a ballpark figure that could range anywhere in between $140 & $190 but it's still a lot eh. Another example she gave me of certain treatment and what is 80% refundable.....Root canals - $400-$600...ouch!!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

basic check-up & clean for the kids - $190 each!!
Yikes - sounds like a bargain to me - ours is usually well over the $200 mark (big city prices maybe?) I had a crown done a few years back now and that cost me $650 Hub needs a bridge doing and has been quoted about $2000 for that! Thank god Blue cross will cover some of it.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calgal
Yikes - sounds like a bargain to me - ours is usually well over the $200 mark (big city prices maybe?) I had a crown done a few years back now and that cost me $650 Hub needs a bridge doing and has been quoted about $2000 for that! Thank god Blue cross will cover some of it.
I think this is good info for all the Brit folk coming over (and those thinking bout Canada to live) and knowing what they're up against regarding dental costs.

Changing the subject a little though....my lad's been working since last October and got quite a bundle in the bank already. He doesn't pay keep, but buys his own clothes now, toiletries, electronics, etc and pays towards eating out....do you think it would be (un)reasonable of us to ask him to contribute towards this ortho treatment or would that be mean?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is good info for all the Brit folk coming over (and those thinking bout Canada to live) and knowing what they're up against regarding dental costs.

Changing the subject a little though....my lad's been working since last October and got quite a bundle in the bank already. He doesn't pay keep, but buys his own clothes now, toiletries, electronics, etc and pays towards eating out....do you think it would be (un)reasonable of us to ask him to contribute towards this ortho treatment or would that be mean?
Do you want him to have Ortho treatment? Does it affect his Health?

If you can (honestly) answer yes to both then its unfair to make him pay (IMHO)

If its HIS choice (for purely cosmetic reasons) I think he should contribute.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think it unreasonable at all. If you had the cash in the bank, and it was no problem for you to pay - you would, right? If he has some money to 'help' cover the cost, then why not? If I were you, I would explain the situation, and that's it's too expensive for you. You never know, he may even offer
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Do you want him to have Ortho treatment? Does it affect his Health?

If you can (honestly) answer yes to both then its unfair to make him pay (IMHO)

If its HIS choice (for purely cosmetic reasons) I think he should contribute.
It's 50/50 on both parts.....Health-wise, it is affecting his eating because of the over-crowding (keeps biting the inside of his mouth) and HE desperately wants them straightening too because he's conscious of his smile. I would never expect him to pay all of the cost of the treatment - that would be a pretty disgusting deed for a parent to impose on their 15 y.o. kid......but say contribute a third, for example
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:32 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

It's 50/50 on both parts.....Health-wise, it is affecting his eating because of the over-crowding (keeps biting the inside of his mouth) and HE desperately wants them straightening too because he's conscious of his smile. I would never expect him to pay all of the cost of the treatment - that would be a pretty disgusting deed for a parent to impose on their 15 y.o. kid......but say contribute a third, for example
Yeah sounds fair(ish) to me.
Also like Calgal's suggestion.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

No, I don't think it unreasonable at all. If you had the cash in the bank, and it was no problem for you to pay - you would, right? If he has some money to 'help' cover the cost, then why not? If I were you, I would explain the situation, and that's it's too expensive for you. You never know, he may even offer
Phew...thnx! I needed to hear that If we were rolling in dosh, living in our own nice house with no money worries then I'd definitely pay the lot - no problem. But since coming back last year with next to nothing and having to start from scratch, we are having it a bit tough atm.....the subject of him "contributing towards" his treatment has already been discussed with him and he has reluctantly resigned himself to that possibility, so when I tell him later that ortho isn't covered and we have to foot the bill, at least he's gonna know he'll have to help us out.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:50 am
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes - sounds like a bargain to me - ours is usually well over the $200 mark (big city prices maybe?) I had a crown done a few years back now and that cost me $650 [U]Hub needs a bridge doing and has been quoted about $2000 for that! Thank god Blue cross will cover some of it.
OMG !! i had better be doing some serious saving for my sons ongoing dental treatment, he had an accident a couple of years ago and has had to have a couple of crowns fitted, which we already know will need redoing as he grows, and well as braces and possibly some veneers, guess i'd better go buy a lottery ticket
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Arent all 15 year old boys basically self conscious about one thing or another? If not his teeth, then it would be something else.

What do you think they look like? If they are bad then do something while you still can. As a Brit I am sometimes conscious that many of the brits I know (myself included) have pretty crooked looking teeth by north american standards, but it is just cosmetic after all, and my life is pretty good despite my dental disadvantages.

I was struck watching a documentary about ABBA the other day how I used to think the blonde was pretty hot (as a pre pubescent boy), but looking at her now I was thinking that her teeth (since fixed) would not meet simon callows approval nowadays and ABBA may never have made it on purely non musical reasons.

Hey, hes 15, hes basicaly nearly an adult, treat him like one and lay your cards on the table. See what he says.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 21st 2006 at 8:23 am.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Hey, hes 15, hes basicaly nearly an adult, treat him like one and lay your cards on the table. See what he says.
Well said, consider it done
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Well said, consider it done
Just had a thought, jaycee. Before you get into treatment for your son, find out if you can upgrade your plan. Many companies allow employees to improve it and pay the difference. I've just read on the Albert Blue Cross site that their group plans can include up to 50% of Ortho costs.It could well be worth the premium increase if you can do it!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that Steve - I want to see you back here with progress report as soon as he's finished with you!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaack with a progress report.

In short carry on as per current normal. If I feel the need to increase the dosage of the Norvasc, the latest addition to my list of meds I can do that.
If that doesn't help then the only other option appears to be go back in and have another look (angiogram). They are reluctant to do that as I just had one of those in March and although the risk is small there is still a risk of triggering a heart attack. So we'll continue to try to control this by "better living through chemicals".

I also have to see him in another month (July 19).
Wouldn't be Dr.Roberts, by any chance (I'm assuming at Foothills)?
Dr. Kryski he is in the South Tower at the Foothills.

Cheers
Steve