Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Orange squash? (oh, and food prices)

Orange squash? (oh, and food prices)

Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orange squash? (oh, and food prices)

Took me ages here to realise squash here is either the frozen punch, or the sachets of koolaid powder.

Mixing stuff in jugs is why fridges are so big here I figure.

Ribena is expensive but commonly found

and yes £ was probably me.

Anyway, buy some jugs, and forget about squash, punch is nicer and koolaid lets you decide how much sugar your kids get
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

nobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant future

We have been here a little over 4 months now and find grocery shopping expensive compared to back home, even individual items are more expensive.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know they are more expensive (but then I havent shopped in the UK for years), but it is now winter, so more stuff is imported which will make a difference.

No doubt though that "real life" in canada is more expensive than people think ,basing their comparison on costs of visiting, like hotels, rental cars, petrol, eating out etc., and once that nice exchange rate boost is forgotten about.

It would be interesting to compare the actual costs of groceries here and there.

Milk and Bread are probaby more, but a lot of stuff is probably cheaper. Dont have a receipt on me right now though...
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:37 am
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont know they are more expensive (but then I havent shopped in the UK for years), but it is now winter, so more stuff is imported which will make a difference.

No doubt though that "real life" in canada is more expensive than people think ,basing their comparison on costs of visiting, like hotels, rental cars, petrol, eating out etc., and once that nice exchange rate boost is forgotten about.

It would be interesting to compare the actual costs of groceries here and there.

Milk and Bread are probaby more, but a lot of stuff is probably cheaper. Dont have a receipt on me right now though...
We seem to have found groceries are more expensive but eating out and take-away is a lot cheaper.

Perhaps that's why I've added a few pounds to my frame
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

nobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by welshchem
We seem to have found groceries are more expensive but eating out and take-away is a lot cheaper.

Perhaps that's why I've added a few pounds to my frame

deffo agree with you there, found exactly the same, as well as the extra ounds in weight :scared:
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

PurpleSlacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone! What a great forum this is - I've been lurking for a while and suddenly found this thread so have to add my orange squash experience. My family came over to Canada in the 70's when I was a teen. I now have my own teens and they're oh so Canadian. Sigh.

So, a few weeks ago I happened to notice a bottle of Orange Squash in the grocery store, having forgotten that it was such a big part of my childhood. Some weird brand, next to the drink mix stuff. Anyway, I decided to buy it (under the suspicious eye of my Canadian husband).

Took it home, "Hey kids, look, this what I used to drink when I was young! Want to try some?"

"Yeah, mOm. Whatever."

A few polite mutterings, "s'ok, yeah. Weird though."

And after such a luke-warm reaction to it, they managed to polish off the whole bottle in less than a week. Hubby was one of the biggest culprits, mixing it with Allens Apple-Peach drink. Have to admit, it was delicious except he didn't bother to water it down. These Canadians and their sweet tooths. Sweet Teeth?

So that was the first and last bottle I bought. Heck, a bottle every 4 days? Imagine the recycle bin...

I really will pick up some more though. LOL. The novelty will wear off, I'm sure!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:35 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys I love Pernod and Black, and on our first week here went to a bar, surveyed the back shelf just to see if they had pernod which they did - it just never occured to me that the 'black' part of the equation would be such an issue.

I had a blue instead
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleSlacker
Hello everyone!
Hello, PurpleSlacker, and welcome to the whacky world that is BE.

You are a fine example of someone who came to Canada as a teen and went native so to speak (well you did say you'd married a Canadian ).

You and your Canadian kids are what many current members of BE's Canada forum can expect in a decade or two or three. That is, the teenagers who moved from the UK with them will have grown up, settled in, and added Canadian children-in-law and Canadian grandchildren to the family.

One of my sons is dating a lovely Canadian girl. Don't know if anything permanent will come of it, but I'd be delighted to have her as a daughter-in-law any day.

Sorry, I've introduced a bit of thread drift here, but orange squash isn't a sacred cow to me, so I make no apologies.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:49 am
Just Joined

PurpleSlacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hahahaha, Judy, thanks for the lovely warm welcome! Yes, it's weird when you're sitting at the dinner table, back straight, and you're looking for a knife. Hubby set table with forks and plates, I say where is my knife, he says, you dont need a knife for beef stew and mashed potato...

LOL.

Good luck with your son's girlfriend!! Hope she sticks around

Pam
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:52 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha, just noticed this thread was started by me, way back when I was a newbie, freshly landed on NS soil

Now 11 months later I think that groceries are not quite as expensive as I first thought although I still think it costs a bit more to shop at the supermarket here than back in the UK.

It takes time to get your head around the price differences and tax at first but you do gradually stop converting everything from $ CDN back to GBP. Still do it from time to time though
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Okay, have been to a few supermarkets and haven't been able to find any orange squash or diluting blackcurrent, etc. They all seem to be already watered down. Are the concentrates available here?

Also, for anyone about to move here and buying food with CDN dollars NOT converted UK money (where's the pound symbol on my Canadian keyboard??), it is more expensive than I thought. Will be able to work it out better when OH's first wage comes in - that way we'll see what percentage we spend

I think UK food prices are pretty cheap as all the supermarkets seemed to be in price wars. Read a report recently that people in the UK used to spend 25% of their budget on food shopping but now only spend 12%. I could easily buy a weeks shopping for 4 back in the UK for around 100 GBP plus a little extra for fresh fruit and veg throughout the week. I definately think my food budget will go up.
Ribena in Canadian Superstore is $6.98 for a 1 Litre bottle .Been here 18 months now,and finding we are spending less on food than England.And in my opinion the food is of better quality.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

The big glass bottles of Ribena are also available in Costco, I've noticed. They appear to be produced in Canada, rather than imported.

So that's available. As for other squashes, expensive cordials aside, expat shops tend to stock things like Robinsons (there's a couple in Vancouver).

Haven't tried the frozen concentrate yet - will have to check that out - we've just moved into our own place where we can actually stock a decent freezer!

Cheers, Iain