Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Optometrist Bridging Program is a rip off

Optometrist Bridging Program is a rip off

Old Jun 19th 2018, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Re: Optometrist Bridging Program is a rip off

Originally Posted by bats

did you read Siouxies oost? Has your wife applied to get her qualifications recognized?
Yes sure she did, that is how she got the PR visa and got extra points for being optometrist
Old Jun 19th 2018, 12:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you sure she has to undertake the bridging program - as I read it, that is only necessary if she didn't pass the assessment and needed further training (although I may well have that wrong).

Has she taken the assessment yet? Touchstone Institute │ Optometry Exam (IGOEE)

Applicants who have been identified by the Registration Committee of the relevant province to require further education or training, prior to registration, will be permitted to apply to the International Optometric Bridging Program (IOBP).
https://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/regis...nal-graduates/
Touchstone

Ontario: https://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/regis...nal-graduates/
Did she get her qualifications assessed by FORAC ? FORAC-FAROC

Originally Posted by KenA
Yes sure she did, that is how she got the PR visa and got extra points for being optometrist
You're mixing up two completely different processes I think. For PR purposes you prove that you are whatever occupation you say you are. To be able to work in that occupation you then need to have your qualifications assessed by the relevant professional body. For example as a UK trained radiographer I had to send copies of my exam transcripts and syllabus to the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario who then assessed them to see that the education and training covered everything that a Canadiab trained xray tech would have learned. They said I had do I was then allowed to write the qualifying exam. Others have been referred for further study and training in Canada.

so, has your wife sent transcripts etc to the college of Optometrists? See the links given by Siouxie.

Last edited by bats; Jun 19th 2018 at 1:02 am.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

I called FORAC-FAROC and they seems not sure of the process..
The guy there said optometrist studied overseas have to do the IOBP (he didnt seem to be sure though !!)

I haven't been living in canada but is $60,000 is small money?!
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:33 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

The guy there said optometrist studied overseas have to do the IOBP (he didnt seem to be sure though !!)

depends where in Canada you'd be settling. An area where house prices are cheap it might be ok.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

read the FORAC section on international applicants carefully. There is a list of steps that wife needs to take and a flow chart.
The University of Waterloo website says
A. There are a number of steps that must be completed before you can apply to the IOBP. These steps are outlined on the FORAC website. After writing the Internationally Graduated Optometrist Evaluating Exam (IGOEE), the College of Optometrists of Ontario (COO) will advise you whether or not you are eligible to apply to the IOBP. Included with the notification from the College will be an application form that you will need to complete and return to the IOBP.

sit Dow n and read all the information, make notes. It's Canadian so it's probably unnecessarily complicated
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

read the FORAC section on international applicants carefully. There is a list of steps that wife needs to take and a flow chart.
The University of Waterloo website says
A. There are a number of steps that must be completed before you can apply to the IOBP. These steps are outlined on the FORAC website. After writing the Internationally Graduated Optometrist Evaluating Exam (IGOEE), the College of Optometrists of Ontario (COO) will advise you whether or not you are eligible to apply to the IOBP. Included with the notification from the College will be an application form that you will need to complete and return to the IOBP.

sit Dow n and read all the information, make notes. It's Canadian so it's probably unnecessarily complicated
Bats many thanks for the clarification.
I seems a bit vague here, and when I called FORAC the guy there advised that she has to do IOBP (although he seemed not sure)..

I will probably call them again

many many thanks , it will make more sense what you said
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Bats many thanks for the clarification.
I seems a bit vague here, and when I called FORAC the guy there advised that she has to do IOBP (although he seemed not sure)..

I will probably call them again

many many thanks , it will make more sense what you said

Please Please read this website before you go any further. On the main page I am linking to is a link to a pdf that give you STEP by STEP instructions on how to register as an Optometrist when you have received your training overseas - see "This flow chart (PDF) outlines the steps in the registration process for international graduates of non-ACOE accredited schools seeking registration to practise in Canada." and from another page on the website.

This is the College of Optometrists for Ontario where your wife will need to register in order to practice that profession in Ontario. "Click here for the information package if you are an internationally educated applicant or a graduate of a non-ACOE accredited optometry school." https://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/regis...-registration/

This is the College of Optometrists for Ontario where your wife will need to register in order to practice that profession in Ontario.

https://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/regis...nal-graduates/

As part of that process she will a) need to have her qualifications assessed by FORAC Credentialing Service and then b) take an evaluating exam to ascertain she meets the requirements. Touchstone Institute │ Optometry Exam (IGOEE)

Please read the links I have given you. I don't do the research to amuse myself, I do it to help you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2018 at 2:55 am.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I have read that like a 1000 times
The flowchart you sent clarifies it..
IOBP is a must
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Found this
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...erloo.1296213/

I think that will summarise it

Last edited by KenA; Jun 19th 2018 at 5:36 am.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks every one
Thanks Dorothy, Siouxie, DigitalGhost, Pollyana, bats, Aviator, Jerseygirl, Piff Poff, BristolUK, and rivingtonpike
Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:20 am
limey party pooper

Found this
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...erloo.1296213/

I think that will summarise it
well that's pretty disgraceful. Just one English speaking optometry school in Canada that has limited places so Canadians go abroad to study. There was a guy on here recently who went to England from BC and he said his qualification wouldn't be recognized. Then there are limited places on the bridging courses too.

You're right it is a rip off, outstandingly so even by Canadian standards. It's not unusual to find registration or equivalency difficult for an occupation listed as in demand but this one is special. I'm surprised that there are any optometrists working here at all.

Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

well that's pretty disgraceful. Just one English speaking optometry school in Canada that has limited places so Canadians go abroad to study. There was a guy on here recently who went to England from BC and he said his qualification wouldn't be recognized. Then there are limited places on the bridging courses too.

You're right it is a rip off, outstandingly so even by Canadian standards. It's not unusual to find registration or equivalency difficult for an occupation listed as in demand but this one is special. I'm surprised that there are any optometrists working here at all.

I've noticed that quite a few websites that sell cheap prescription glasses to people in the UK and elsewhere are actually based in Canada. They make the glasses to order in Canada and then send them via ups. Maybe that's what a lot of Canada's foreign trained optometrists are doing .
Old Jun 20th 2018, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Maybe that's what a lot of Canada's foreign trained optometrists are doing .
This is really inappropriate and rude
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This is really inappropriate and rude

and so was your comment.

DG said "CANADA's foreign trained optometrists........"

I don't read that as being any kind of insult to your wife ....... it IS though a sad commentary on some of the foreign schools that train Canadian students, whether that be optometry or medicine or whatever. Or even of some of the foreign schools training doctors and optometrists ............ just as some do a rotten job of training scientists!

I know people who get their eyes tested here, then use one of the online companies to make their glasses, and say they get good results.

i wouldn't dare, given some of the problems I've had with my eyes!

But equally, I used to treat with caution doctors who have got their medical degree from one of the Caribbean schools ..... and yes, I have come across some of them. The problem is the practical experience as there are limited hospitals with limited space to take the number of medical students needing practicums. The situation is better now than it was 10 or 20 years ago, as many American hospitals are taking students from those schools for practicums.

Then they have to compete with all the other newly graduated "doctors" for Residency. In the last 5 years, I have had 2 Family Practice Residents who graduated from a Caribbean university, and have found them excellent ............. hence why I said in the paragraph above "used to".

I doubt very much that DG meant a person who has undergone the training that you said your wife has.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
and so was your comment.

DG said "CANADA's foreign trained optometrists........"

I don't read that as being any kind of insult to your wife ....... it IS though a sad commentary on some of the foreign schools that train Canadian students, whether that be optometry or medicine or whatever. Or even of some of the foreign schools training doctors and optometrists ............ just as some do a rotten job of training scientists!

I know people who get their eyes tested here, then use one of the online companies to make their glasses, and say they get good results.

i wouldn't dare, given some of the problems I've had with my eyes!

But equally, I used to treat with caution doctors who have got their medical degree from one of the Caribbean schools ..... and yes, I have come across some of them. The problem is the practical experience as there are limited hospitals with limited space to take the number of medical students needing practicums. The situation is better now than it was 10 or 20 years ago, as many American hospitals are taking students from those schools for practicums.

Then they have to compete with all the other newly graduated "doctors" for Residency. In the last 5 years, I have had 2 Family Practice Residents who graduated from a Caribbean university, and have found them excellent ............. hence why I said in the paragraph above "used to".

I doubt very much that DG meant a person who has undergone the training that you said your wife has.
I really didn't mean it as an insult in any way. I personally did use an online retailer when I needed new glasses in Canada, principally because the glasses on sale in the optometry clinics there seemed even more overpriced then their equivalents in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.